Gaming Wii U w/o gamepad. Tips & Suggestions.

kolosus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking to use a wii u without the gamepad. No net access. No internet at all actually (blocked). Occasional gamepad access, once a month or so. Using the device almost exclusively with a pro controller, wireless. I'm looking for tips and suggestions. Problems that I may face and how to get around them etc.

A mostly new user and I figured I'd ask the community about it. Just looking to play a few games on it. Mario Kart and New Mario Brothers U and maybe 3d world. Thanks for suggestions.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those three games in particular play pretty well without the gamepad. Smash Brothers would be another good game to add to that list.

Main downside is not being able to use the eShop, but if you're not going to have internet access anyway that's not a big deal.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mario Kart and New Mario Brothers U and maybe 3d world.

Those three games in particular play pretty well without the gamepad
I'm fairly sure that it's impossile to finish some of the later 3D World levels without gamepad since they need the touchscreen and the microphone (spoiler free references: The purple wall, the traditional house (doors) and this flying objects used e.g. in the Toad places).

Thanks for suggestions.
Yoshi's Woolly World (I recommand WiiMote gyro aiming here), Mario Party 10 (not all modes are playale without it), Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Xenoblade Chronicles X, NES Remix 1&2, Shovel Knight, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Guacamelee!, Deus Ex: Human Revolution (not sure about this one), Assassin's Creed III, Minecraft (PC version is better), DuckTales Remastered, Don't Strave (PC version is better), The Cave (don't forget that you also can play Wii games without the Gamepad. And the Wii had quiet a few fun games beside all the shovelware)

Some also would also suggest Trine 2, Child of Light and Bayonetta 2 (I don't recomment them since it's really not my taste of games)

But you miss out of some great games and most important you miss out what makes the Wii U unique. You can buy a Gamepad directly from Nintendo btw (that's fairly expensive).

Last edited by VitaType,

kolosus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I perhaps make do with the Wii mote? Trying to stay away from buying a pad since they are fairly expensive.

kolosus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a used Wii U. Everything included but the game pad. For $80. I can borrow a game pad from time to time (once a month, or so) but it cant be an all the time solution. I want to use the Wii U a bunch till the game pad comes to a much more approachable price. Currently it is over $100 for a used one in decent shape. I have thought about getting one with a busted screen and replacing the screen but that pretty much brings it to the $100 mark. So just sit back and bide my time and I'll have a game pad. But in the mean time I dont want the console collecting dust...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night