Hacking Wii U USB loading - install WiiU games to USB or internal memory

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone use this external HDD for Wii U?

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Passpo...qid=1486139583&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+my+passport

Found a good deal for it, but not sure if it will be compatible. I searched the forum for this specific model, and got one dude on here saying his Wii U stopped reading this drive, so i'm a bit weary. Though apparently his other USB stick also stopped reading so i dont know if it was a problem with his Wii U or not....
Does anyone use this external HDD for Wii U?

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Passpo...qid=1486139583&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+my+passport

Found a good deal for it, but not sure if it will be compatible. I searched the forum for this specific model, and got one dude on here saying his Wii U stopped reading this drive, so i'm a bit weary. Though apparently his other USB stick also stopped reading so i dont know if it was a problem with his Wii U or not....
Before I started using this splitter cable:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-USB-3-...807628?hash=item51b5f0cacc:g:bq0AAOxypNtSnWVH

I got very weird results from different portable USB drives.

Unless that drive is set to auto power down after x minutes and can't wake up fast enough it should work.

I used these 2 drives:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178744

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178438

With the splitter cable and they works terrific.

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wii games that are on the eShop power off the console on launch for me (having downloaded/installed with the USB Helper.) Help!

You need to have sigpatches enabled to make these work. There are several ways to do this, for example the Simple Signature Patcher by Dimok. Just place it on the SD Card that resides in your Wii U and run the app from HBL. It looks like all it does is reload the Wii U menu, but this time signature patches will be enabled and you should be able to play the Wii titles from the eshop just fine. However, the Signature Patcher has to be run every time you turn on or restart the console, since it's patches are not permanent. If you want a permanent solution, I recommend taking a look at Coldboot HaxChi, for short CBHC. CBHC installs itself into a legit Nintendo DS Virtual Console title that has to be bought from the eshop, so yes you have to invest around 5-7 bucks for it, but for that CBHC can apply the signature patches in an automatic fashion each time you power on or restart your console. This also enables you to install the channel version of HBL, so you don't have to rely on the browser anymore to load homebrew apps. If you are interested, everything you need to know about CBHC can be found in this nice FAQ written by Comm4nd_. To download and install CBHC visit the official thread found here

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii games that are on the eShop power off the console on launch for me (having downloaded/installed with the USB Helper.) Help!

First, if you're running redNAND, those titles won't work (last I knew.) I thought the result was a black screen, not a poweroff, but I'm bringing it up anyway.

Second, this is probably not being caused by the way you loaded the game, so you may be better off posting your own thread asking for help. When you do that, please provide enough information for someone to help you, such as: What games are you having trouble with? Can you boot the Wii Menu (not the WiiU menu) and can you play any Wii games from disc (if you have any?). Did any of the games work previously? What kinds of hacks have you tried, especially ones related to the vWii? If you're installing to USB, have you tried installing a small VC Wii game to sysnand? That kind of information will help other people help you.

You need to have sigpatches enabled to make these work. There are several ways to do this, for example the Simple Signature Patcher by Dimok. Just place it on the SD Card that resides in your Wii U and run the app from HBL. It looks like all it does is reload the Wii U menu, but this time signature patches will be enabled and you should be able to play the Wii titles from the eshop just fine. However, the Signature Patcher has to be run every time you turn on or restart the console, since it's patches are not permanent. If you want a permanent solution, I recommend taking a look at Coldboot HaxChi, for short CBHC. CBHC installs itself into a legit Nintendo DS Virtual Console title that has to be bought from the eshop, so yes you have to invest around 5-7 bucks for it, but for that CBHC can apply the signature patches in an automatic fashion each time you power on or restart your console. This also enables you to install the channel version of HBL, so you don't have to rely on the browser anymore to load homebrew apps. If you are interested, everything you need to know about CBHC can be found in this nice FAQ written by Comm4nd_. To download and install CBHC visit the official thread found here
That's a good overview, but if you try to launch a fake key vWii title without sigpatches, you get the same "Nintendo Network ID has been deleted" message as you'd get from other titles. The game doesn't try to run, so it never reaches the point of trying to start vWii.

D

Deleted User

Is it possible to install games that are too large for an SD card in different times? Like divide the game in two, put the first half on the SD card, install, and put the other half on the SD card?

RealityNinja

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is it possible to install games that are too large for an SD card in different times? Like divide the game in two, put the first half on the SD card, install, and put the other half on the SD card?
Nope. Not possible. Just buy the game, or a bigger sd card. :P
Maybe in the future, it will be possible to use the USB or the network to install games. I don't know.

Last edited by RealityNinja,
D

Deleted User

Nope. Not possible. Just buy the game, or a bigger sd card. :P
Maybe in the future, it will be possible to use the USB or the network to install games. I don't know.

Okay, thanks for the answer. I guess I'll just have to wait... or to buy some stuff indeed :P

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not possible to actually install in two parts, but I've used wupclient.py to copy the files from SD to a USB directory and install from there. In other words, nothing is keeping you from doing it, but there's no homebrew that will do it for you. Buying a properly sized SD card is certainly the easier option though.

Reactions: Deleted User

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mocha with FAT32 support has been compiled here:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/mocha-cfw-the-sweet-chocolate-to-your-latte.452940/page-45#post-7086884

With this (BETA !) version, you can use your USB FAT32 as if it was your SD card.
so imagine you have a 2TB SD Card, no more space issue to install a game to NAND using WUP Installer ;)

just don't use WUP installer to install to USB FAT32 partition, it's not working yet.

run Mocha, then every SD access will be done from USB instead. (it's not a feature, it's a bug, so get advantage of that bug for your SD space issue ;) )
all homebrew trying to access SD will in fact see the USB First primary partition (no GPT !)

Last edited by Cyan,
D

Deleted User

Thanks for all your answers, loads of solutions out there! I will try to see which is the best one. Thanks again :) !!

jwitz

Trophies
XP
Country
What happens with out of region games? I would like to install US Shantae to my EUR console. Can it be done?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can install it without problem.
if you want to launch it, you will have to run a region patcher (in fact, any CFW will do it)
so either : Simple signature patcher, or Mocha, or Haxchi or CBHC.

Reactions: z0nvy

jwitz

Trophies
XP
Country
You can install it without problem.
if you want to launch it, you will have to run a region patcher (in fact, any CFW will do it)
so either : Simple signature patcher, or Mocha, or Haxchi or CBHC.

Thanks.

So using an out of region ticket won't brick? I thought I read that somewhere but I'm probably wrong.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that was a misinformation, provided at the start of that hack method when everybody was too scared to try.
someone did, and we saw it wasn't bricking. you can install, you can list, but you can't launch it without a CFW loaded in memory first.

edit:
I edited the first post to explain ALL custom firmware are patching the region, so you don't need any manual region hack to the game or the console.
just run CFW first.

Last edited by Cyan,

jwitz

Trophies
XP
Country
So I just did the DiscU part with the CMD, and I now have the folders with lots of .app and .h3 files. I don't understand the part where it says I need to find the files in the folders, how do I know which ones?

Also do I replace the .tik file with the one from that site?

Last edited by jwitz,

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand the part where it says I need to find the files
What are you reading that tells you to find files in folders? It's helpful to quote the sentence or paragraph you're referring to so we can help you.

If you're using this thread's OP, step 3 tells you what you need to put in the install directory:
The files you will need are in two different folders : GMxxxxxxxxxx folder which contains your game files, and system/02/ which contains the title.tik, title.tmd and title.cert

You don't need to replace the .tik file. Yours and the one on that site should be the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, she'll always love you too. :sad: