Wii U USB loading - install WiiU games to USB or internal memory

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by BurningDesire, Oct 20, 2016.

1. bostonBC

bostonBC GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 17, 2011
    United States
    Wow, that would be cool.

2. chackadaux

chackadaux Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2015
    United States
    Do I need to first mod the wii u with homebrew like the Wii before I try to set up this USB loader? I am new to the wiiU. Ive already moded my wii.

3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    no, you don't need a persistent hack before doing this.
    you can use temporary homebrew enabled applications to install the games to your console, then the game will stay on the console and can be launched without using any homebrew.

system menu > Browser > homebrew channel > wup installer
    then you launch your game from system menu > select your game

Note that it's not always the case:
    if you install a game from your region, and originating from a Disc (game released as DISC format), it will work without launching a homebrew before launching the game.
    all other games (games released on eShop only, DLC, custom games, other region, etc.) will require a patch to install and launch.

system menu > CFW patches > non legit games install or launch

The CFW can also be temporary or persistent, it's up to you to choose your patching method.

full detail is on the previous page (users should at least read last few pages before asking the same question over and over, it's asked on EVERY pages).
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-u...-internal-memory.445514/page-225#post-6979027

is that info missing on the first post, or just not read by users?
    I should add it or make it more visible, for the users reading it.

edit:
    I added it at the top, in the description of the method.

4. chackadaux

chackadaux Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2015
    United States
    what does DLC mean? I see you can load game, updates or DLC?

5. laz305

laz305 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 31, 2008
    United States
    DownLoaded Content

6. toonliger

toonliger Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2016
    Hey!
    I successfully installed several games into the HDD with WUPinstaller and CFWBooter.

The problem is that I installed Pokken Tournament and it's update yet everytime I select the game it goes into a black screen and everything freezes, I'm not even able to access the home option.

Anyone has any idea of what could be wrong?

7. bostonBC

bostonBC GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 17, 2011
    United States
    Try deleting the game and reinstalling. Are you confident of the source of the files?

8. toonliger

toonliger Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2016
    I got the files from UtikDownloadHelper. I'll try to do it again then.

9. aenoch

aenoch GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    so if I were to grab legend of Zelda twilight princess so I can keep my disc and box nice is there a way to use the same save

z0nvy likes this.
  10. z0nvy

z0nvy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2016
    Mexico
    Try downloading from Wii U USB helper. This app has the ability to check every file after a download to verify it was downloaded fine. Also it can verify the files before you copy them to your SD card. I had an issue with two games downloaded with uTikDownloadHelper were the Wii U freezes when launching the games.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

11. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Please let @BurningDesire know what is ambiguous about this part of the OP, so others won't have to ask the same question:

antidupe likes this.
  12. linkboy

linkboy Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2009
    United States
    I'm having an issue with Color Splash where it just boots to the splash screen (screen with a sepia tone and the title) and the music just loops over and over (catchy tune, tbh). The Gamepad ceases to function and the only way to regain control of the system is to do a full shutdown.

Anyone have any idea as to what's causing this?

Edit
    I moved it to my internal memory and it started working (up until it froze after the first cinema screen :angry:)

Last edited by linkboy, Jan 11, 2017
    z0nvy likes this.
  13. aenoch

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    Well for one. Last time i read the op fully was a wile Ago. And then i assumed. I would have to use saveiin or something so i didnt reread the op. But thanks for the info. Now i just have to figure out how to move stuff to usb. This isbthe first time ive put a hdd on my 16gb wii u

14. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Try another copy of the game, that usually works for me.

15. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Is it possible to install games to SD card or only NAND/USB?

16. nexusmtz

nexusmtz GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 17, 2016
    United States
    Just checking... You know you either have to swap the displays before you start or turn on your TV, right? Color Splash doesn't have that "Look at your TV" message for your gamepad after the ship comes into the port.

17. z0nvy

z0nvy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2016
    Mexico
    The most likely cause is a corrupt game. What are you using to download the game? I recommend using Wii U USB helper, it performs checks after every file download to verify game's integrity. Also can perform checks when sending the game using the same app to guarantee you won't end up with a corrupt game.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

thorasgar likes this.
  18. TudorBlue

TudorBlue GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 29, 2007
    My heads swimming a bit, didnt know there was so much to hacking a wiiu OR which hack to use. Im going to hack an EU wiiu. I m going to hack my daughters new wiiu, so need to be careful, if I brick it, I'll be well and truly up sh*t creek without a paddle lol. Weve got a few wiiu games, a 500gb hdd and a 32gb class 10 sd card so i guess Im ready to begin.

Last edited by TudorBlue, Jan 12, 2017
  19. aenoch

Feb 23, 2015
    United States
    Ludington, Michigan
    THE BASIC WAY IS REALY EASY THIS is easy compared to the 3ds lol

20. bruno_bard

bruno_bard Member

Newcomer
    Jan 20, 2009
    Brazil
    Anyone know if there is any ongoing project to use a HDD FAT32 or other format?