Hacking Wii U USB loading - install WiiU games to USB or internal memory

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent thread, very useful info. I have been playing with the for a few days and a couple of observations.

Make sure that your install folder doesn't have weird characters in it. No copyright notices, TM's - anything weird will blow up the install.

It is a giant pain to have to copy the files to an SD card first.

Is anyone working on a mod to allow you to hookup a USB drive (flash or hard disk) - the key is that it will be easier to install from a USB drive than from SD :)

Thanks so much for all the hard work.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
By server filters, does it mean the filters we put on to prevent the wii u from updating the firmware?

Also, where would I get update files from? would i use that iso site?
1) yes, the filters which prevent you from updating (if an update will be released while you are away from your console and it's set to auto-download/install).
If you are near your console, you can monitor the downloaded data, or know if there is a new released update before removing the filters.
Then, just launch the game and it will download the update.

2) You can get the updates directly from nintendo's servers for free. they have a good and free ticket, no piracy involved !
the easiest way (for me?) is JNUStool.
double click on JNUSTool.jar, and it will open a list of available game updates. select the one you want and choose to download encrypted (do not decrypt).

The downloaded files will contains all the .app, .h3, Title.tik, tmd, etc
use WUP installer to install them.

Is anyone working on a mod to allow you to hookup a USB drive (flash or hard disk)
I don't know if it's possible to mount multiple USB at the same time, but it's probably doable.
if you install to NAND I guess it will be possible.
if you install to WiiU USB, it will require an additional FAT32 USB mounted with IOSUhax nodes, I don't know enough about this hack.

The currently best choice is the WUP Installer bundled with FTPiiU, you don't need to quit the installer and can upload new games, refresh the SD card, install, repeat.

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiU read every HD like a normal pc?
Once you plug a hard disk (or USB flash drive) to the Wii U it formats it with a console specific encryption.

After that it you plug it into a PC it will not show up or ask you to format it.

DO NOT FORMAT IT. The drive is now tied to that specific Wii U.

Master Dimentio

The Pleaser Of Crowds
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So even games installed onto a wii u that was downloaded from this usb helper app is safe to still play online or no? Also how does updates or dlc works in terms of getting what you need. Is it preferred to get ot through usb helper or can it be aquired through eshop safely.

shadoom

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
I'm going crazy... I tried installing Hyrule Warriors EUR (000500001017D900) which worked.
Installing the Update (0005000E1017D900) gives me the error "0xfffcffe5".
Starting the game launches the usual Nintendo Updating process but at the end it says there has been an issue and it could not be updated.

I've done this to a bunch of games but Hyrule Warriors does not want to work, did anyone get the EUR version to run?

bostonBC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So even games installed onto a wii u that was downloaded from this usb helper app is safe to still play online or no? Also how does updates or dlc works in terms of getting what you need. Is it preferred to get ot through usb helper or can it be aquired through eshop safely.
Safe to play online and update. You would need CFW to install and DLC but you can buy legit DLC.

CoolAlpha

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to install a game on a external 3.5" HDD. At the end of the install I got the 0xFFFCFFE5 error.
I tried to reinstall the game but the install won't start, I get immediately the 0xFFFCFFE5 error.
Since I have no other games on the HDD, is safe to format it and retry?

nooby89

A normal member with a stupid alias
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've got the error 0xFFFBFFC0 on WUPInstallery in Mocha CFW, trying to install a VC from another region (EUR to USA).

Shmario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm going crazy... I tried installing Hyrule Warriors EUR (000500001017D900) which worked.
Installing the Update (0005000E1017D900) gives me the error "0xfffcffe5".
Starting the game launches the usual Nintendo Updating process but at the end it says there has been an issue and it could not be updated.

I've done this to a bunch of games but Hyrule Warriors does not want to work, did anyone get the EUR version to run?

we need more details

u console its european?
what u did first? update normally or tried update using wup installer?
if u tried update normally first,on your first attempt u had that issue? did u tried again?

i saw on the wiiu Brick list>>>http://www.wiiubru.com/rip/
someone had bricked a wii u instaling a update for Monster Hunter 3

so i advice u to not do that,unless u like to live on the edge .

Reactions: z0nvy

steveroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm new to load line and the such of playing copied games to a hard drive.

In order to follow this thread, do I need to do the works from Loadiine GX2 first?
Also, if I were to install games onto my wiii u's hdd do I need to format all my saves and games I've bought?

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does anyone know whether or not u can install just the ticket?
You can copy a ticket to the place that the WiiU looks for it (under /storage_slc/rights/ticket/apps) using ftpiiu_everywhere, but you need to know which subdirectory and file it goes in, and you have to be sure that you append the ticket to that file instead of simply replacing it.

I haven't seen the ticket hashing method documented anywhere, so you'd have to get the proper location by examining a system that has the title installed, or from your (or someone else's) sd:/tik2sd/keys.txt.

Reactions: z0nvy

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, I ask due to me installing games to redNAND. I don't want to try reinstalling them if it can be avoided.
I can't tell if that's a question or a statement, but if you run tik2sd under both sysNAND and redNAND (rename sd:/tik2sd between runs), you'll know where to put the tickets and you'll know which files already exist in the other NAND or have multiple tickets.

Last edited by nexusmtz, , Reason: added reminder to rename tik2sd output dir

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know just about everything with the ps3 and the 360 hence y I posted tutorials, but I'm still learning about the 3ds and wiiu. thanks, I'll try that tomorrow I assume these tickets r based off of 00050000 followed by the title id? the problem now is knowing which title each ticket goes in. it might be easier to reinstall them, but I dunno. is wup installer mod still the best method?

shadoom

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
we need more details

u console its european?
what u did first? update normally or tried update using wup installer?
if u tried update normally first,on your first attempt u had that issue? did u tried again?

i saw on the wiiu Brick list>>>http://www.wiiubru.com/rip/
someone had bricked a wii u instaling a update for Monster Hunter 3

so i advice u to not do that,unless u like to live on the edge .

yes its a pal console
i tried updating with wup installer first but that gave the error already.

I got it working now by unplugging USB, installin it to the Internal, pluggings usb back in, moving it from internal to usb.
It works now - I don't know how it will behave when theres a new update though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: