Hacking Wii U Teaser HomeBrew Channel

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What a tease... May not even release? that's just cruel.
I don't want to sound like a douche, but...

I absolutely DO NOT WANT anything released this soon. Assuming this is real, it means there is progress going on. Releasing something in the near future will indubitably be checked, analysed and patched by nintendo. As such, it's much better to keep a low profile and explore all there is to know about it. Questions like the one crono mentions aren't trivial: there are a lot of things to be tested and accounted for.

Besides...what do you mean, cruel? There already is a homebrew channel fully working on the wii. Sacrificing valuable wiiu hacks at this time is stupid if all it does is allow you to sell off your wii.

Reactions: crono141

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
i dont think theyll be that quick to update wiimode to lock down wiimode unless they are aware that theres a path to wiiu mode though it , they didnt do much to lock out the wii after 4.3 SM.

crediar

Possiblenator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If the HBC wasn't full of DRM (talk about irony), I would be using it aswell but oh well the Wii Homebrew Launcher works just as good :)

Due this DRM I sadly couldn't install it within WiiMode (didn't want to bother with it anyway), so I took the mega man 10 game and injected the Wii Homebrew Launcher into it and well didn't think that's quite video worthy haha ...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the HBC wasn't full of DRM (talk about irony), I would be using it aswell but oh well the Wii Homebrew Launcher works just as good :)

Due this DRM I sadly couldn't install it within WiiMode (didn't want to bother with it anyway), so I took the mega man 10 game and injected the Wii Homebrew Launcher into it and well didn't think that's quite video worthy haha ...

Homebrew Channel with DRM, what the hell were they thinking?

HaTaX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is great, i'm getting a copy of smash bros before we start to see price hikes, you know its coming LOL

^ This, ordered my copy from Amazon for $25 a week ago and it showed up the other day. Looked like the surefire way to get homebrew under the Wii side at least and wanted to make sure I had a copy that's good to go. :)

rizzod

Not a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Actually come to think of it now.... if releasing this could open doors to the Wii U's vulnerability.... then no i dont want this released either.... I want the Wii U to succeed.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is frustrated by the stupid crap the HBC does, not to mention it's closed source nature. I like Wii Homebrew Launcher, but it doesn't support AHBPROT (AFAIK), and it doesn't have a channel installer with an IOS exploit. I find the Homebrew Filter (found here, no idea why it isn't on Wiibrew) to also be a reasonable alternative, but again it doesn't really support AHBPROT (it does if you launch from HBC, but there isn't a precooked channel with a AHBPROT TMD), or have an installer with an IOS exploit.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the drm is due to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act#Anti-circumvention_exemptions

i've pointed this out many times in the AP Devolution threads. you can work around security systems as long as you do it carefully and don't "allow" warez. if the end result of your program is piracy then so be it, as long as you don't make it and say "use this for piracy" its all good. if you pretend like you care, you don't risk your ass.

Reactions: crono141

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record, I think the DMCA is essentially the worst thing to happen ever. Also, there is nothing in there about not releasing your source. If the HBC or Devolution went open source tomorrow (with all the DRM in place and exploit in binary blob form), and I took that source and and made a version without the DRM crap for personal use, nobody would have violated the DMCA. I don't pirate stuff (except to get leaks before games are released, and then I grab a copy when they are in stores), but I load all my games with a USB loader as it is infinitely more convenient, and I would love to have a version of Riivolution that worked on backups, I would love to be able to look at the source oof the HBC and play around with it, but I can't, and I simply accept that that is the state of scene and avoid all the closed source apps whenever I can. Part of this is that I agree with Stallman that free (as in freedom) software is the right way to do things (this is one of the few things that I agree with him on; I had sit down talk with him once, and he struck me as totally batshit insane).

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is frustrated by the stupid crap the HBC does, not to mention it's closed source nature. I like Wii Homebrew Launcher, but it doesn't support AHBPROT (AFAIK), and it doesn't have a channel installer with an IOS exploit. I find the Homebrew Filter (found here, no idea why it isn't on Wiibrew) to also be a reasonable alternative, but again it doesn't really support AHBPROT (it does if you launch from HBC, but there isn't a precooked channel with a AHBPROT TMD), or have an installer with an IOS exploit.

I don't have an issue with closed source per se (open better, meh) but but this is the first time I've heard of DRM in the HBC... What is it??? :blink:

And like with the Wii, I want homebrew for region-free loading. This region locking has got to stop.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I find the Homebrew Filter (found here, no idea why it isn't on Wiibrew) to also be a reasonable alternative, but again it doesn't really support AHBPROT (it does if you launch from HBC, but there isn't a precooked channel with a AHBPROT TMD), or have an installer with an IOS exploit.
I'd say the main reason it isn't on WiiBrew is no one has put it on WiiBrew. It doesn't seem to violate any rules, if someone bothers to add a page I don't think anyone will have a problem. As for creating a channel with AHBPROT, shouldn't be all that hard. Again, just takes someone to actually do it. The installer would probably have to be launched via HBC unless you happen to know an IOS exploit...
Get over it. These days basically everything can be pirated. Besides, if every coder decides to put DRM crap in their homebrew, homebrew wouldn't be fun anymore.
I never said I agreed with their DRM (although I personally I have no issue with it), I was explaining why it is there. It has absolutely nothing to do with piracy, no idea why you even mentioned that. TT believe that HBC should be free, and want to keep it that way. To do that, they stop people from selling it. It's the opposite of regular DRM; it is designed to make sure you DON'T pay for HBC.
I don't have an issue with closed source per se (open better, meh) but but this is the first time I've heard of DRM in the HBC... What is it??? :blink:

And like with the Wii, I want homebrew for region-free loading. This region locking has got to stop.
The "DRM" being discussed is a few measures taken to prevent scammers from selling HackMii Installer to make a quick buck. There are dozens of sites out there which will happily sell you an "all in one" pack and a guide for installing homebrew on your Wii, and generally also installing cIOS and USB loaders and that sort of thing. These sites make outlandish claims ("won't void your warranty", "100% safe" etc.), along with blatant illegal claims ("never pay for games again", etc.), and charge upwards from $30 for these packs, made up completely of free software. Naturally, Team Twiizers don't want their work to be sold when they are giving it out for free, and so they added a few measures to prevent it.

For one, they added a scam warning to the installer (which actually serves more of a purpose than that; while it is displayed, the installer is working in the background to figure out which exploit to use etc.; if it wasn't for the scam warning, they'd just have to display something else in it's place). Additionally, they made it so that if you extract HBC as a WAD and install it with a WAD installer, it will show the same scam warning every time it is run. (This is to prevent scammers bypassing the installer by packaging an HBC WAD). This has the side effect of meaning you cannot modify HBC in any way by extracting a WAD (e.g. changing title ID, replacing banner etc.). It also means that HBC can ONLY be installed with HackMii Installer, which means that without access to the source of HackMii Installer, crediar is unable to install it, as the IOS exploit used by the Installer needs changed. He is apparently able to install WADs, so if it wasn't for the "DRM" on HBC, he could just install a WAD of it I guess.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh
    ♫ Mama hully gully, Papa hully gully, Baby hully gully too:rofl2:
    Oh god, I really am old. lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @SylverReZ, sup Sylv!
    +1
    Anyway, I gotta go to the store. L8er guys. Oops, I better put some clothes on :shy::tpi::rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Sicklyboy, Hey there Sickly.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Make sure the cops don't see that.
    hazbeans @ hazbeans: hi