Hacking Wii U System Update 5.1.2 is out now.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wish we would get more info on WiiUkey. I am on 5.0 and am not too concerned about homebrew at this point. I am more concerned Nintendo will do something to block ODE before it even comes out, much like they did with Gateway.

I am really wanting ODE as I already have over 20 WiiU games and also a large Wii collection and would love to have them all on one drive ready to play. If WiiU would get a major kernel hack then I would just buy a second unit to use for 'offline' but I am hoping ODE doesn't get blocked on WiiU like it did on ps3 super slim.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Read my signature, my english is not good, but thanks for correct me, I will use anything instead nothing in these cases :).

Your English is a lot better than a lot of the forum posts I read on the PPSSPP forums, that's for sure. I'll take yours any day over theirs. :P

On-topic: It shouldn't be a surprise that Nintendo released another useless update; they did it multiple times on the Wii, they still do it somewhat often on the 3DS, and the trend continues here. Good updates are rare, really.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm lucky for now, I'm in 5.0.0, do you know if in this version a PowerPC exploit could be done?

Chadderz and Marionumber1 could answer that better than anyone else. But remeber even if nintendo blocks it, its only a matter of time before somebody finds another way in. You would have to play the waiting game if you were updated to a firmware version that currently blocks the method being used.

My suggestion to anyone who cares about real Wii U mode homebrew, just go without updating, you're better off. But of course to each their own, because you have to also factor in that you won't be able to play the latest games without first updating, at least until a method is discovered for blocking disc updates. U will also not have access to any online services until we find a way to spoof our firmware version.

Where there's a will there's a way, always ;-). When you break all data down into its rawest form its just 1s and 0s, so in theorywe can do whatever we want, its just a matter of figuring out the how portion and plahying the waiting game :-)

Reactions: Goku Junior

Fatalframe4

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this may or may not have to do with the recent system update but I'd like to note that this update came out during Super Mario 3D World's maintenance. It could be possible that it fixed bugs that a past update caused in the game? If so it isn't the first time Nintendo has done so, for example in Nintendo Land a system update actually caused the camera in the GamePad to freeze and it wasn't until a future system update to fix it again so the camera works as intended in the game.

Ryanrocks462

Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least they don't add some features, and go up a whole version like Apple. iOS 8 should be iOS 7.5.

Android does it right. Android L will probably be 5.0 to signify it's significance.

Don't see the big deal with 5.1.2 either. It's probably to deliver next week's Mario Kart update.

XD android actually doing something right? Thats a laugh... it's iOS 8 because look at all the new features, 7.5? Just no, thats sounds dumb in my opinion

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're on 5.1.1, you're one-firmware-above the cutoff, right? So... updating really doesn't matter now?

you are correct, but I still wouldn't recommend updating, especially when more stuff starts getting publicly released. Nintendo will be patching stuff left and right i'm sure.

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are correct, but I still wouldn't recommend updating, especially when more stuff starts getting publicly released. Nintendo will be patching stuff left and right i'm sure.

Good point ;) Thanks!

I'm sure staying on this firmware will give me a better chance of getting that kernel access someday ;)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
dito, when smash releases and requires an update (Im on 5.0), then I will definitely update
as much as I would like to have wiiu homebrew, I dont want to miss out on my wiiu games for it :D
and as long as they dont update the browser until then, there will still be other bugs to find ^^

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dito, when smash releases and requires an update (Im on 5.0), then I will definitely update
as much as I would like to have wiiu homebrew, I dont want to miss out on my wiiu games for it :D
and as long as they dont update the browser until then, there will still be other bugs to find ^^

So what exactly did 5.1.1 block/fix, in terms of the kernel exploit?

Ryanrocks462

Wii U/3DS Hacker.. Will test anything, A Pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

lol tbh whats with everyone in smash ... it must be a really cool game, i played it a couple times and never understood it, all i know is just hit buttons repeatedly and you win. :P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol tbh whats with everyone in smash ... it must be a really cool game, i played it a couple times and never understood it, all i know is just hit buttons repeatedly and you win. :P

It does require actual skill, not your typical button masher game, but it does require strategy to an extent.

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, That's not old. :rofl2: