Wii U renders Wii games differently in Wii mode?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by DCG, Dec 13, 2012.

Dec 13, 2012

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yeah, Dolphin (and PJ64 and pretty much any emulator with hardware acceleration and polygonal graphics) pass the scene info and rendering data to the GPU and the GPU renders it all out at the specified resolution. Even the API used to pass the data to the GPU differs depending on the plugins, with OpenGL seeming to be the most common, DirectX next, and even Glide is used at times (well, in a GL wrapper, what with Glide starting as a subset anyways).

And we've explained why. The Wii's games are low-resolution, but the Wii U is rendering them at a high resolution, which isn't smoothing them like the Wii was (bilinear filtering, blurring, tomay-to, tomah-to)...

No, the Wii has no HD games because the Wii doesn't output in HD.

Obveron New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    Couldn't the Wii-u allow us to output 480p (or 480i for that matter) when in Wii mode? That would let us play wii games and they should look as they did on the Wii (yes the diplay mode will change when entering Wii mode which may annoy some people, but this could be OPTIONAL).
    I loled when people were actually excited to hear the Wii-u will upscale their wii games. Upscales never look better, the native resolution of the content is best.

As it stands now, can we atleast put the Wii-u into 480p and get decent output from the wii mode? (Still don't own a wii-u)
    • Reporter

Foxi4 Gravity is for weaklings.

Message Count:
    Poland
    I'm actually pretty sure that for all intents and purposes, the WiiU renders the games at a native Wii resolution and then upscales them, much like the 3DS does... which would explain the jaggies on 2D objects, such as fonts. Nearest neighbour and all that jazz. :P
    Rydian likes this.

Arras I will be your hexahedron today

Message Count:
    Netherlands
    If you try that your TV will be doing the upscaling instead of the Wii U, so it probably won't make a difference. Unless you try hooking it up to a CRT monitor or a non-HD TV, I'm not sure what'll happen then.

Gnargle I am not a New Member, I've been here since 2008!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    You could, but you'd have to change the output from HDMI to component or the like. Then turn upscaling off on your tv.

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Message Count:
    United States
    *removed*
    Last edited by the_randomizer, Dec 31, 2012

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Message Count:
    United States
    I believe the Wii U might use nearest-neighbor interpolation and some form of upscaling, but that only exacerbates the Wii's sub-HD appearance.
    Foxi4 likes this.

Issac 10 Year Member, 0 Warnings!

Message Count:
    Sweden
    I wanted to post this in a message to Haliinen, but he/she didn't allow PM's :/
    It's just explaining how HD-TVs have game mode, and how to turn it on, and why it produces lag when off... in Swedish.

So Haliinen, this is for you!
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!
    • Newcomer

ghaladream New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    I just did some tests by putting my Wii U in 480p. I can still see a lot of jaggies on vWii, where the image quality looks 100% the same to me regardless if the Wii U is set to 1080p or 480p. I'm using HDMI, but I noticed this even when using component cables. Somehow vWii doesn't have anti-aliasing but the real Wii does? I don't think this is an issue of how the Wii U upscales, due to the fact that it looks the same when naively set to 480p.

Obveron New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    I don't think anti-aliasing is the difference. Are you comparing to original Wii on the same TV?

Perhaps the Wii-u is forcing some sort of scaler on wii-mode even if it's outputting 480p.
    • Newcomer

shawnchalfant New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Stop complaining and enjoy the fact the system is backwards compatible. Jagged edges, oh well guys play the original. Problem solved.
    RodrigoDavy likes this.

DiscostewSM New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    The particular action in the game ("scanning") does an unfiltered zoom-in on both systems. The additional upscale that the Wii U does when rendering at HD resolutions just makes it more pronounced.

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's Maverick Hunter

Message Count:
    United States
    It's just a question, sheesh.

[Truth] New Member

Message Count:
    Germany
    For me Wii games over HDMI look much, much better then they were over Component.
    Better Colors, sharper and less jaggies.