Hacking WII U Pro Controller with WII Games?

lexarvn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very sorry but I just have no clue what you are talking about. Can you please explain what do you mean with "official pro controller" and "pro u controller"?

If you mean Classic Controller Pro, the one that attaches to a Wiimote, I still call it just a Classic Controller because that's what it is. And I've kept saying "U Pro Controller" to avoid the confusion between the Classic Controller and the new controller Nintendo made specifically for the Wii U.

I think he is talking about this controller http://www.toysrus.com/product/inde...ice=c&camp=PLAPPC-_-PID15596721&KPID=15596721

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very sorry but I just have no clue what you are talking about. Can you please explain what do you mean with "official pro controller" and "pro u controller"?

If you mean Classic Controller Pro, the one that attaches to a Wiimote, I still call it just a Classic Controller because that's what it is. And I've kept saying "U Pro Controller" to avoid the confusion between the Classic Controller and the new controller Nintendo made specifically for

The official meaning made/ released by Nintendo pro controller doesn't work with Wii mode but the (non official meaning not made by Nintendo Pro U controller) does work with Wii mode

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
WTF is that...

Anyway, what I've been talking about are obviously Nintendo's official controllers. I see potential here for a third party to make a quick buck: make it with a detachable cord and a switch to toggle between Classic Controller and U Pro Controller mode. Have it branded by a reputable company like Hori and slap a fat price like 99 USD on it. I'll even camp out for the release if possible!

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting a Wii U Pro controller to work in vWii mode at all shouldn't be much of a problem in a homebrew app. And apps such as Nintendon't allow use of USB devices such as DualShock 3 and allow for additional devices if you're willing to code it. Though at the moment it doesn't support Bluetooth.

Devolution has support for PS3 controllers over bluetooth (though you have to connect it via USB before you can sync it).

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not for/against Nintendo or any third parties, just to clarify.

bezem: Saying that consumer confusion is a non-issue and consumers should just read the manual is precisely why Nintendo has been struggling with the Wii U. Look, it's Nintendo's own platform first and foremost. If they wanted to, they could force each and every third party developer to include support for all controllers, thus ensuring customers migrating from an original Wii to the Wii U can play new games with their existing and perfectly capable Classic Controllers.

Again, I stand by my reasoning that to the end user, there is functionally little difference between the Classic Controller and the U Pro Controller. Both have dual analog sticks. Both have A, B, X, and Y buttons. Both have L/R and ZL/ZR shoulder buttons. So then tell me why should I as a consumer care what kind of controller I own when the features between the two are nearly identical? Since the Wii U was developed with backwards compatibility in mind (which is reflected upon in Nintendo's own marketing) with the intention of having original Wii accessories function on the Wii U, why shouldn't I expect my Classic Controller for the original Wii to work on a new game for the Wii U?

Tell a mother to buy her child the "button controller" for the Wii U. Do you truly believe she cares to read the manual to ensure her child can play New Super Mario Bros. U with a compatible controller, or rather would she simply go to Gamestop and tell the sales rep she needs a Wii "button controller"? You can play that particular game with the Wiimote sideways, that's true, but it's beside the point because you can also play it with the U Pro Controller and NOT the Classic Controller.

Here are three Wii U games each with differing controller support:
1. Epic Mickey 2 (NO U Pro Controller, YES Classic Controller)
2. New Super Mario Bros. U (YES U Pro Controller, NO Classic Controller)
3. Rayman Legends (YES U Pro Controller, YES Classic Controller)

Tell me how that is NOT confusing. And now tell the mother in the example to go buy two different controllers, because Nintendo thought it'd be a good idea to have mixed controller support in Wii U games.

Nintendo could have, in my opinion should have, done something about this. They chose not to and now it's the consumer's responsibility to look up and learn the difference. If you ask me, buying an accessory peripheral as simple as a controller for a game console should NOT require this level of complexity. It should be enough for the consumer to just see the "Wii" label on a product and deem it compatible. That way the mother is happy because her son can play his favorite game in the way he wants to, the sales rep at Gamestop is happy because a frustrated customer is not coming to return a product, and Nintendo should be happy that people give a crap about their platform to buy additional peripherals for their Wii U consoles.

No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I've seen the confusion happen right in front of my eyes at a local Gamestop. Yes, I'm frustrated as a knowledgeable person that Nintendo is just milking the opportunity for extra money. No, I'm not going to play New Super Mario Bros. U with the Wiimote sideways! /rant

This doesn't even have anything to do with the original topic anymore but I'll nibble on your troll bait.

The controllers are not identical; analog stick placement differs between the CC/CCP and Wii U Pro Controller. The CC/CCP need to connect via a wire, the Pro Controller does not. The CC/CCP do not rumble; the Wii U Pro controller does. The CC has analog shoulder buttons, the CCP and Wii U Pro Controller do not. They are not functionally identical. Besides, some games support them and some don't, same as the original Wii. Expecting some blanket decree from Nintendo that all controller configurations be supported in all games is asinine. Nintendo isn't looking to 'milk' money from you like Sony or Microsoft. It amazes me how people think Nintendo is just out to steal your money, yet those same people are more than happy to throw money at EA, Sony, and MS like it's going out of style.

You're arguments support lazy consumerism, especially the mother argument; rather than research and understand her child's interests she'll rely on the schmuck at Gamestop and blame him should anything go awry. The whole post really is opinion built on baseless theory, assumption, and being a lazy consumer. You mention the 'Wii' label should be enough for consumers - there are TWO labels on the market - Wii and Wii U. If one assumes the two are interchangeable, that is again a personal failure due to ignorance and laziness. A Gamestop employee doesn't care about returns, he's just some register monkey counting the minutes to closing time. You also seem to be for Nintendo peripheral sales in one paragraph and against them in another, so I'm not entirely sure you even know what you're talking about.

Since you love the NSMBU argument so much, please remember that the Pro Controller wasn't even supported until an update came out; on day one it was Gamepad or sideways Wiimote ONLY (my personal configuration of choice for this game).

Not surprised; you both seem rather delusional.

WTF is that...

Anyway, what I've been talking about are obviously Nintendo's official controllers. I see potential here for a third party to make a quick buck: make it with a detachable cord and a switch to toggle between Classic Controller and U Pro Controller mode. Have it branded by a reputable company like Hori and slap a fat price like 99 USD on it. I'll even camp out for the release if possible!

Wow.... just wow. The above post indicates your opinions have no basis in reality. Plus I basically already said that, though with more logic and business sense.

It's more likely to happen in homebrew then officially. I don't understand why a 3rd Party doesn't just release a WiiMote dongle that can sync to the Pro Controller, thus providing pseudo Classic Controller emulation. Probably due to the system's sales/install base.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
bezem: You make lots of baseless assumptions there. Please don't call me delusional and my post was honest, despite going a bit off topic. Not troll bait.

"Nintendo isn't looking to 'milk' money from you like Sony or Microsoft. It amazes me how people think Nintendo is just out to steal your money, yet those same people are more than happy to throw money at EA, Sony, and MS like it's going out of style."

That is plain wrong. I have actively and successfully boycotted EA since 2006 and currently own just a Wii U after selling my PS3. Unlike Sony and Microsoft, who both have said older controllers won't work on their new platforms, Nintendo in its own marketing says the Wii U supports original Wii accessories. As a consumer who reads up on things (or else why would I even visit GBAtemp), I expected this to mean that I can use older controllers in newer games. Nintendo has failed to make that clear, and it came as a surprise to me only after I had purchased the system. This is one such thing that is difficult to know about beforehand unless you know someone with personal experience. I didn't and took the risk.

As I've also said before, there are technical differences, but functionally they are similar. The placement of analog sticks on a controller shouldn't dictate whether that controller is supported or not. Again, I cannot fathom as to why there's no support for the Classic Controller in Wii U games by default, if that game also supports the U Pro Controller. Some games use Wiimotes only and rely on motion controls, and some games make extensive use of the GamePad. I'm not even expecting each and every game to support every input configuration. Given that the Classic Controller and U Pro Controller are so similar to each other, it's not out of the ordinary to just expect either one to work in a game that supports traditional controls with a controller.

"You mention the 'Wii' label should be enough for consumers - there are TWO labels on the market - Wii and Wii U. If one assumes the two are interchangeable, that is again a personal failure due to ignorance and laziness."

Seeing that Nintendo themselves have felt that infomercials explaining the differences between the two are necessary, I'd say the branding and marketing department at Nintendo has failed and the blame should not be put on the consumers. Without consumers Nintendo wouldn't exist. It's in their best interest to make a product with clear branding that signifies a difference if there is one. If the consumer is expected to read up on the two brands that extensively, both which are discerned only by a single letter, the U, it is no wonder that Wii U reception has been lackluster. I'm not talking about sales, but rather how the average consumer reacts to the Wii U. And that is important, again because it is the consumer who purchases a Nintendo product that guarantees Nintendo a longer stay in business. No, I don't believe Nintendo is "doomed", but you have to admit they botched the potential of the Wii U as a new, different system.

(I'd happily make a new thread about this, to keep this one clean.)

bezem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eh, I guess we have to agree to disagree. I keep seeing the same theme in your posts, which is continue to harp on what you believe while not adequately disputing or rebutting what I believe. Open a new thread if you'd like but this is my last post on the subject.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
poor moms, would that nintendo had made it easier for them to know what they are getting themselves into, without running the risk of getting an uninformed gamestop employee...like, some sort of visual representation of the controllers used for each game, like on the box maybe.

oh well.

Reactions: bezem

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone working on a way to make this possible with a WII U?

I find it really lame that Nintendo didn't make support for this built in.

It's not that simple to implement that, plus games that use motion plus. good luck getting those to work with game pad controls. Nintendo just can't magically implement them. Wii remotes use bluetooth, the game pad uses WiFi, two very different technologies.

Reactions: bezem

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's not that simple to implement that, plus games that use motion plus. good luck getting those to work with game pad controls. Nintendo just can't magically implement them. Wii remotes use bluetooth, the game pad uses WiFi, two very different technologies.

He means the Wii U Pro controller, which is usable on vWii and real Wii if a homebrew app supports it. So far Devolution seems to be the only app that's picked it up.

Though what he is asking, is if it is possible to use the Wii U Pro controller as a Classic controller in vWii so one could play any Wii game that supports the Classic controller with it.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He means the Wii U Pro controller, which is usable on vWii and real Wii if a homebrew app supports it. So far Devolution seems to be the only app that's picked it up.

Though what he is asking, is if it is possible to use the Wii U Pro controller as a Classic controller in vWii so one could play any Wii game that supports the Classic controller with it.

That too is very tricky to implement due to how the Wii apps relied on Bluetooth, but Wii U uses WiFi, they two can't communicate with each other. As of now, it's currently not feasible to use the Wii U pad in vWii mode since it only mirrors the display on the TV. But if someone can program it to do so, then so be it.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That too is very tricky to implement due to how the Wii apps relied on Bluetooth, but Wii U uses WiFi, they two can't communicate with each other. As of now, it's currently not feasible to use the Wii U pad in vWii mode since it only mirrors the display on the TV. But if someone can program it to do so, then so be it.

This is not about the Gamepad, the one with the big screen in the middle that uses WiFi. This is about using the Wii U Pro Controller, which does use bluetooth.

7115_A2m702_L_SX522.jpg

It's feasible to use it in vWii mode (or even on an actual Wii), given that Devolution already does it, but no one has done anything to implement it into Wii in general so far. Maybe they never will, but it's certainly something to hope for.

And before bringing up motion controls again, obviously it would only be done to replace CC/CCP/GC controllers, not the remote or motion plus.

Zacharybinx34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Exactly. It's just silly that Vwii mode can't use the controller as a remapped classic controller if need be. Only Nintendo would do something this stupid.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think this must be possible, remeber the FC30 bluetooth controller? The thing got an update so that it works as a Wiimote (with extra buttons matched to specific waggle movements): http://gbatemp.net/threads/fc30-gets-an-update-and-becomes-a-wii-controller.356236/

Surely there must be a way to make the bluetooth Wii U pro controllers connect to the Wii in a similar manner, with the Wii recognizing the controller as a Wii Classic controller (pro). I'm sure its no simple feat, but I would think that other example should be proof enough that such a thing could happen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1