Hacking Wii U Piracy Discussion

Shadicluigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alright, so here is the thing.

Piracy doesn't hurt developers as much as people think, it hurts the publishers. Developers get paid a salary. If a game doesn't sell well due to Piracy, it only hurts the Developers in terms of corporate restructuring and lack of funding. If the publishers don't have money to throw at a sequel, they wont.

As we've seen with the PSP, Piracy can boost the sales of a dying console through the roof. The PSP couldnt compete with the DS, but what it had was an open firmware which people used to accomplish piracy and emulation, meaning one device to do all your gaming, old and new. If Sony saw this and werent so cautious with the Vita, they probably wouldnt have given up on it in US/EU

Sales can also be increased of consoles doing well, see the Wii and SmashHax/TwilightLoader or whatever they were called, 360 and JTAG and PS3 with GeoHot.

Now, where does piracy leave the company that created the consoles? Laughing all the way to the bank.

They get to boost their sales numbers making stockholders happy, they get to create and ship more units, they get to make more good games for people to play illegally but we've seen that hardware sales on consoles that get cracked open start to make up for the lack of software sales.

If you buy a Wii U to pirate Nintendoland, you're doing Nintendo a favor. Nintendoland is like $10 and pretty much impossible to get new unless you go for a bundle. Buy it used and no money goes back to Nintendo anyway. Pretty much all launch titles are like that, we've past the point of no return where they stop manufacturing and shipping new versions of old games unless they're the ones in super high demand (Bayo 2/Wind Waker HD), so none of your hard earned money is going back to the company making the games.

Where does this leave companies who arent Nintendo publishing games for the Wii U? The same place they are now, regretting their decision to create/publish for the Wii U, and piracy isnt going to help/worsen that.

Piracy can save Nintendo honestly, if they clamp too hard down on the exploits then nobody is going to bother buying the console and they'll be even more in the red then they are now, but then again you cant ALLOW piracy on your system, its just bad business. But we cant forget Mr.Gary from Sega and ECHELON.TXT, and how it gave the Dreamcast just a little bit more life before Sega shut it down for good. If they cut homebrew out of the equation entirely, they might be next in line behind Sega and Atari for selling off their best series to the highest bidder and giving up on the hardware we love entirely.

Then again this is all maybes and probablys, and Nintendo isnt going anywhere because the 3DS makes bank even without Gateway/CubeHax/TubeHax/HacksHax/SmackHax
TL;DR Who doesn't love free games.

sendblink23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If its available, I'll sure take it. I do pay for games(already given nintendo $1k+ on this console generation) and in my own views I'm entitled to pirate a few games because if the tools are available then I should enjoy what is possible.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a flash cart for my virtual boy, since I can't reasonably find decently priced games for it. I feel as though it's fine to pirate for old game consoles since they can't possibly be making any money off of buying used games from other people.
No, but they can always release it in the for of virtual console and such.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So far nintendo has shown no idea of releasing virtual boy games even tough the 3DS has been out for ages and can actualy do the 3D so yeah i doubt they will ever release Virtualboy VC anytime soon, your better off waiting for a VB emulator for the 3ds lol.

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far nintendo has shown no idea of releasing virtual boy games even tough the 3DS has been out for ages and can actualy do the 3D so yeah i doubt they will ever release Virtualboy VC anytime soon, your better off waiting for a VB emulator for the 3ds lol.

Speaking of Virtualboy.. Is there a Virtualboy emulator for the Wii yet??

SnAQ

Trophies
XP
Country
I have a flashed Xbox 360 with around 100 pirated games.
How many i finished you ask?

Well, around 10 probably..
How many I've enjoyed you ask?
Well, around 10 probably...

Now i have a Wii U, around 20 games I've bought.

How many I've enjoyed you ask?

tldr: I always enjoy games I've bought much, much more than pirated games.
But i have no problems with pirating, I haven't paid for a movie for ages.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that there are systems that are not represented, or there are titles from publishers that are no longer around. That doesn't mean that the new president of Nintendo may see the expansion of VC games and consoles represented as an easy cash cow. Don't forget that Nindendo is now under new management and who knows which direction they will take it. With the advent of the newer VR sets (Oculus, Rift, Vive) coming publicly available soon the big N may jump on the bandwagon, and reboot VB games as a way to fluff the launch library. Granted it is far fetched, but my point is it is possible.

Regardless, software piracy is the mislicensing, unauthorized reproduction and illegal distribution of software, whether for business or personal use. By this definition any unauthorized copy of any ROM is still piracy.

Please do not misunderstand me, I pirate. I am just a bit annoyed with the pirates that convince themselves they're not. Either you have a copied/downloaded something you're not supposed to, or you didn't.

Last edited by hundshamer, , Reason: spelling/grammar

nyrol

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
They could, but I'm not pirating it on those consoles, just the original. If I buy the original game used, and not the virtual console one, it makes no difference if I pirated it instead. If I wanted to play it on the virtual console, then I'd buy it there, but to play it on original hardware, no harm in piracy. I would never buy a virtual console game anyway since I have the original hardware for all the games anyway, and own many original games. There's nothing quite like playing it on original hardware, especially when compared to an emulator. Sure, you have save states and easier cheat methods with an emulator, but it feels like a more authentic experience if you use the original hardware. I just pirate the ones that are super rare or demand insane prices.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hear you, but you admit you pirate. Your reasons are your own, and I don't hold that against you. I have my own reasons.

I more dislike the "No piracy, homebrew and emulators only!" squad. I know emulators aren't piracy, but how many legal ROM's exist for these emulators?

nyrol

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I hear you, but you admit you pirate. Your reasons are your own, and I don't hold that against you. I have my own reasons.

I more dislike the "No piracy, homebrew and emulators only!" squad. I know emulators aren't piracy, but how many legal ROM's exist for these emulators?

Oh I'm not saying I'm not pirating, I'm just saying that I don't feel it's immoral to do it that way. I also pirate other things that I do feel are morally wrong to do, but I do it anyway because I'm quite cheap. I'll buy what I think is worth buying, and I'll pirate the rest. If it's a fantastic game, I pirate it, and then wait for it to go on sale and buy it if I really liked it. I think I bought Limbo 6 times on different platforms because I loved it so much, and it was priced right. For me, a video game is worth $5/hr. If a game is $80+tax (like most new games are), it had better entertain me for more than 18 hours.

risho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really have a problem with filesharing. I think the idea that you can own an idea is absurd. The difference between stealing a physical item and "stealing" a digital item is that when you "steal" a digital item nothing is lost, it's just duplicated. I understand the idea of wanting to make money off of your work, but I think that sharing and spreading information should be a public right. That said I think that they have every right to in return attempt to make drm as severe as they deem worth it to make it difficult to spread.

Magnus87

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I collect and play games, so I have my own Wii/GC games and also have ULGX with games

16012517666_31c6bf82ba_b.jpg

16036334871_62e7a94a61_b.jpg

20503060305_df603c7858_b.jpg

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really have a problem with filesharing. I think the idea that you can own an idea is absurd. The difference between stealing a physical item and "stealing" a digital item is that when you "steal" a digital item nothing is lost, it's just duplicated. I understand the idea of wanting to make money off of your work, but I think that sharing and spreading information should be a public right. That said I think that they have every right to in return attempt to make drm as severe as they deem worth it to make it difficult to spread.
You also need to think of it in terms of a person spending hours upon hours of their lives making said ideas a reality though

risho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You also need to think of it in terms of a person spending hours upon hours of their lives making said ideas a reality though

Like I said they can try to add drm to make filesharing more difficult. They can also go for the netflix/pandora method of interfacing with a service that is so convenient that it is worth the money based on the convenience alone. There are ways to make money in a world where filesharing isn't a crime. There are plenty of alternative revenue streams whether it is introducing advertising into the product, drm, monthly service based systems, or maybe even something that hasn't even been considered yet, just waiting for someone to innovate it. There's also the argument that the very successful humble indie bundle makes that if you just put your product out there without encumbering it in drm at all with a flexible payment scheme that people will be willing to throw down money for it.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: oumoumad

Floppy Fork

ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn uı sǝʇıɹʍ oɥʍ ǝןoɥssɐ
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to go slightly off topic here but it still proves a point (kinda).
So I bought legitimately Doom 3 for the PC 2 years ago. I popped it into my computer (a month later) and that game didn't work.
I couldn't return it so I decided to pirate it.
Basically my point is if you have any problems with a game and you can't solve it THEN I think piracy is (kinda) right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte