Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2011_hw_3_imge16_e3_18383.nphd.jpg
In an interview with Forbes, Nintendo of America president and CEO Reggie Fils-Aime addressed questions about the newly announced Wii U, including the future for online play on the console. When asked whether it would be reasonable to expect an upgraded online system to launch with the Wii U he said:

"We've said that the Wii U will have an extremely robust online experience. There will be other publishers talking about that as well, and from our perspective, we think it's much more compelling for that information to come from the publishers than to come from us."

But why would that strategy be more "compelling" to come from external partners? It appears Nintendo may be taking a hands-off approach to their online service. "Instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we’re going to welcome that. We’re going to welcome that from the best and the brightest of the third party publishers," he added.

Though that approach may seem funny when compared to the emphasis Sony and Microsoft place on their respective PlayStation Network and Live services, Nintendo has shown itself to be shy about entering the online gaming space. Despite the landslide success of the Wii, its online capabilities remain hamstrung by awkward friend codes and the largely ignored Wii Speak voice chat peripheral. Relying on publishers to furnish the online services for Wii U games effectively keeps the whole issue of how gamers behave online at arms length for Nintendo, or so perhaps it expects.

Sony took a somewhat similar approach in the early days of its online presence, leading to labyrinthine registration systems such as the Konami ID system. Its multi-step process proved to be a hassle and potentially contributed to the tepid reception of Metal Gear Online.

Fils-Aime told Forbes that for the Wii U, Nintendo plans to create a flexible online system that allows publishers to whatever approach they consider best. While on the one hand that approach offers the opportunities of an open system, it also raises concerns that the online experience for Wii U could be fragmented. If that plan for the Wii U is to compete with the 360 and PS3 for core gamers, anything short of the amenities offered by their online services will put Nintendo's new machine at a competitive disadvantage.[/p]
arrow.gif
Source (Shack News)

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kind of thought that's how it worked out already, especially EA, since the Xbox connects to the EA system with their games but still requires LIVE Gold to get in. I guess I'm wrong, I'm a bit hesitant about this one too.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Old news, I believe.

Ninty is letting the devs choose their own way on how to handle online. I guess that way, if online sucks, Ninty doesnt have to take the blame for it.
laugh.gif

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even PC games are leading towards a single log-in to rule them all, Admit slowly. I hope devs are smart and make a single log-in for games they have made. Nintendo themselves seemed to already messed up with online again!

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jan777 said:
Old news, I believe.

Ninty is letting the devs choose their own way on how to handle online. I guess that way, if online sucks, Ninty doesnt have to take the blame for it.
laugh.gif
Yep old I pretty much said the same thing in the other thread.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a way, it's not really any different from the PC market.

Except all the grubby console developers.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Nintendo added that online will be greatly improved on the Wii U and 3DS.

Wii U at least we see something, but 3DS?
frown.gif

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
...gah. they really don't love much online, do they? they claim it'll be robust, but by other people's hands? i don't like the prospect of that...
unsure.gif

it's like as long as they don't need to get their hands messy with online, it's okay if it fails or not. they better have active participation with devs instead of complete hands-off, and they BETTER not restrict them on anything, if that's the case. at least devs tend to listen to customers more than Nintendo, but Nintendo shouldn't be complacent.

EDIT: wtf, i got completely sidetracked. PUBLISHERS?! awhellno

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Celice said:
In a way, it's not really any different from the PC market.

Except all the grubby console developers.
The pc market can use the gfwl servers or the steam servers. The wiiu will apparently be completely reliant on whatever the devs have.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time for Sony to step in and say "hey Nintendo game Devs and Pubs, use our online system for Wii U games"...cross system play anyone?

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
This isn't possible but if there's such thing as cross system online it would be awesome.
happy.gif

I'm still a little mad that the 3DS's online service has no major improvements - since Nintendo did add that in in 'taking online seriously'.
glare.gif

hetoan2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chris888222 said:
Off topic but - from that image the browser SEEMS to have multitouch
One Finger => definitely multitouch. There's no way you could ever zoom in by using another part of the device. Ever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.