Hacking Wii U image (WUD) compression tool

srbeen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I thought it worked exactly opposite. Huge disc space allowed media to remain fairly uncompressed so slower CPUs can load faster, and the multiple copies of files on the discs were more for optimizing the linear path of optical media reads. Things like placing files closer to the inside/outside of the disc depending on their size, or putting a duplicate file in line where it'll physically be read to reduce lens seek times.

This goes out the window considering digital eShop releases however. I have read through some threads where people are re-compressing some videos to improve load times.

Wurztha

Admìn MoFo :P
Trophies
XP
Country
Games are 'always' and I use that term very loosely, optimized. Also what you said is true, so thing with non-optical media we can remove the extra optical optimized paths and sometimes straight off that's a 50% saving without compression.

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
I want to make images of my Wii U original disc games I have. Can I use this program to create an image of the game as a wud/wux file?

If not which program would meet my requirements?

EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Stupid question but this application, for what it does, seems to still take a long time.

Wouldn't it be a "faster" option to simply look where the last useful bit is, cut it off there and then "stream" the useful content over to a new file and do a hash-check for that specific content?
I'm not sure how this thing works but it seems a hell lot slow for what it's supposed to be doing, hm... Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not a developer :P

Last edited by EpicLPer,

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stupid question but this application, for what it does, seems to still take a long time.
Wouldn't it be a "faster" option to simply look where the last useful bit is, cut it off there and then "stream" the useful content over to a new file and do a hash-check for that specific content?

This is more of a compression tool than a "cutting useless data out" tool. All of the data in the 25GB is still useful because it's needed for decryption. I'm not sure exactly what this tool does behind the scenes, but try zipping 25GB worth of data with say WinRAR, WinZIP, 7Z and it will probably be very comparable in it's compression time.

sindrik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In theory, one could squeeze out a little bit extra compression at the cost of performance, but it's hardly worth it. I say it's fine as it is.
nice, i only thought about speed, maybe. Thanks for this useful tool

by the way, would a compressed format like this be useful for an emulator or a wii u loader in the future? like loadiine or any other future loaders that can be creted. Would they need more memory, power, etc?

PolarKoala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad to have found this, it will make storage easier for sure. Thanks for this program!

Are there any performance or compatibility differences compared to .wud and .wux files?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass