Hacking Wii U Homebrew Wish List - Homebrew Idea Thread

Moraduke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really exciting to see all of the homebrew progress that has been made recently! I didn't see it mentioned in the last couple pages and apologize if I has been mentioned too much, but how far away are we from playing backup copies of Wii U games? I want to keep my use of discs to a minimum, especially when we have younger guests over our place or bring the system over to a friend's house and let their kiddos try all of the different games. Doubly so because of Nintendo's decision to tie digital purchases to the system instead of an account like the PlayStation and Xbox consoles do. Somehow making a backup of the gamepad would be nice too! :)

Developers like everyone involved in making a homebrew scene for these new consoles as well as all of the individuals who code/write emulators out there really do a thankless job for free in their spare time, and I, for one, want to let you guys know we have a boundless appreciation for all of you.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's really exciting to see all of the homebrew progress that has been made recently! I didn't see it mentioned in the last couple pages and apologize if I has been mentioned too much, but how far away are we from playing backup copies of Wii U games? I want to keep my use of discs to a minimum, especially when we have younger guests over our place or bring the system over to a friend's house and let their kiddos try all of the different games. Doubly so because of Nintendo's decision to tie digital purchases to the system instead of an account like the PlayStation and Xbox consoles do. Somehow making a backup of the gamepad would be nice too! :)

Developers like everyone involved in making a homebrew scene for these new consoles as well as all of the individuals who code/write emulators out there really do a thankless job for free in their spare time, and I, for one, want to let you guys know we have a boundless appreciation for all of you.

Never, considering everyone with the skill doesn't care about backups (right now anyways, if we replace the loader that could always happen)

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Read. The. Stickies. This is not meant for just you, Moraduke, it's meant for every user on this forum!!
Seriously, it's really frustrating how many people post a question before they even read the VERY FIRST PAGE of a sticky. :angry:
I don't mind these posts so much if the answer is buried in hundreds of pages, but it IS on the FIRST PAGE of that sticky!!!

Moraduke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never, considering everyone with the skill doesn't care about backups (right now anyways, if we replace the loader that could always happen)

I see. Hopefully it does happen in the future. Thank you for the quick reply!

Read. The. Stickies. This is not meant for just you, Moraduke, it's meant for every user on this forum!!
Seriously, it's really frustrating how many people post a question before they even read the VERY FIRST PAGE of a sticky. :angry:
I don't mind these posts so much if the answer is buried in hundreds of pages, but it IS on the FIRST PAGE of that sticky!!!

My apologies. I do look at both of the Wii U stickies on occasion but figured I would ask that if such a thing was being developed very recently since I saw a disc ripping tool mentioned in the OP of this thread. I'll go back to lurking and will be cheering on further homebrew developments.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Hopefully it does happen in the future. Thank you for the quick reply!

My apologies. I do look at both of the Wii U stickies on occasion but figured I would ask that if such a thing was being developed very recently since I saw a disc ripping tool mentioned in the OP of this thread. I'll go back to lurking and will be cheering on further homebrew developments.
There is at least one other team working on a software based solution for this. Although said team has been quiet as of lately, even with me :P.

Ive heard the ODE teams are also finally making progress again but who knows.... If a software solution comes out before an ODE i'll be cancelling my Wiikey U preorder ;).

The sooner i have the ability to play backups, the better, as i have an 8 year old nephew and him and his friends love playing my Wii U. Im lucky non of my game discs have been trashed yet XD

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You check if the OP of a sticky is up-to-date by looking at the "last edited by" date at the bottom. :)

Xuman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
logo.png

(Btw no code has been written for the Wii U version)

Yes!

Xuman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna need some help with this one, but I want to separate the Ideas based on whether or not they can be used with just the kernel exploit, or if they need the IOSU Exploit, so if anyone in the know has the time, I'd greatly appreciate giving me a heads up on which of these needs what.

That way when the time comes we know what will be possible and impossible at the moment.

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still waiting for a homebrew that prints dollar bills out of the catrid...disc drive. Someone get on that pronto. :P

On a serious note, what about a plugin system? This one wouldn't come sooner than later but loading ELFs on boot such as a cheat system, screen brightness control (if possible. gamepad.), web server app/file manager (something like webMAN). Shit like that. I'd be interested in seeing that. Maybe even overclock control depending how far the hacks go down the pipeline.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still waiting for a homebrew that prints dollar bills out of the catrid...disc drive. Someone get on that pronto. :P

On a serious note, what about a plugin system? This one wouldn't come sooner than later but loading ELFs on boot such as a cheat system, screen brightness control (if possible. gamepad.), web server app/file manager (something like webMAN). Shit like that. I'd be interested in seeing that. Maybe even overclock control depending how far the hacks go down the pipeline.

That'd probably be grouped in with the homebrew launcher/ELF loader, since you still need kernel/IOSU privileges for some stuff. Just have a list of auto-start apps. That's a feature I'd like to see though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte