Hardware Wii U HD-cable only?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You dont have audio out on the TV? All of mine do, just figured it was standard

It has an SPDIF output, but no optical cable output, but like I said before, it has limited no. of ports (lower-end, college-budget TV, but not Westinghouse or Coby thank goodness), have you figured anything out? I don't want to buy another effing piece of hardware especially what after I spent this week.

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be playing with it again in about 15 min, wanted the pad to have a good charge before really tearing into it, will report back asap

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will be playing with it again in about 15 min, wanted the pad to have a good charge before really tearing into it, will report back asap

Thank you. I personally have no desire to scrounge money for another cable or A/V splitting device.

I have a Vizio 36" LCD TV since I was an idiot for not doing enough research, so I'm stuck with limited inputs, but plenty of HDMI ports oddly enough.

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The analog video out, sensor bar and power port are all identical in shape to the Wii's. Two out of the three are already verified working. Is the Wii-U's powerbrick the same as the Wii's?

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didnt try the power brick, the one with the wiiU is bigger but the connector looks the same. I can NOT get audio out to play with hdmi going, it will start up with nonhdmi setting but once you switch back it shuts it down and makes an annoying pulse. I am NOT on the updated firmware, so this may not be or the latest production firmware. I have a STUPID slow internet connection and have no plans to update at this time.

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope there is a fix in the updated firmware for you. There are only two sets of sound options, one for the tv (Surround,stereo,mono) and one for the tablet (same options as before). Does your stereo have a hdmi in then back out for the tv (just a shot in the dark as many do these days) I am hoping you forgot about it and this will solve your issues.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope there is a fix in the updated firmware for you. There are only two sets of sound options, one for the tv (Surround,stereo,mono) and one for the tablet (same options as before). Does your stereo have a hdmi in then back out for the tv (just a shot in the dark as many do these days) I am hoping you forgot about it and this will solve your issues.

Nope, it's not that fancy, just a standard 2.1 Logitech system (really nice sound, though). It has a PC output cable.....bollocks.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope it will accept both at the same time :D
PS3 added the possibility on later firmware to connect both at the same time, allowing Audio output to be broadcasted to TV through HDMI and to any Audio device through Component/Composite cable.
I'm using my PC's speakers which are better quality than the low speaker from the TV, and converting Stereo to 5.1 by software at the same time, so it would be great to have both simultaneously :)

It's not a real 5.1, but it's better than plain stereo from TV speakers.
Or you can use the audio output of your TV to go right into your 5.1. In case it has one.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
thank you for checking this setting.
PS3 didn't have it either at launch, they added is few years later (at Fw3.40!).

Let's hope they will add it one day.
Maybe users should complain to Nintendo, if they have enough demand they could reconsider.

my TV has one Audio output.
But I was used to connect direct Console out to subwoofer/PC Audio-in.
I'll buy a new cable and test it. It shouldn't switch off audio from the TV as it's not a headphone jack so it's fine.

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am really hoping that its fixed in the system update and hope to see someone post soon that its working for them, I tried on two different devices, one thru stereo and then thru some wireless headphones but didnt help.

UPDATE: I caved, I started the update process, I told you I have a VERY slow internet connection, and its been updating for well over 20 min and I havent seen a sliver on the bar yet, so I am going to head to bed, but I hope I can wake up in a few hours check on it and give you better news, I did this cause I knew I would want the other guy to do it for me if I was in your position. And maybe someone else who has already updated will get in here and answer before I do!

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK updated to system version 2.0.0U and I am sorry to say I am still not getting stereo sound from the rca out from the wii.

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry man, I tired everything I could think of, changing the settings to the component out then restarting and then changing it back and seeing if it left both open which is did not. both sets of things incase one wasent picking it up. If anyone else has any ideas (Like do you have headphones out from the tv [Might as its a collage dorm type tv] you can do 1/4" to RCA's) Let me know and I will try them (if you dont have a WiiU yetto test yourself.

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am hopeing there is another member that has one that can try it. maybe its my cable (regular rcas not component out) and that one does work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i dont know why tv manufactures put the hdmi ports in dumb locations so the cables have to stick out, and then down, putting strain on the ports. Instead of having the ports along the bottom edge of the tv facing downwards.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    windows me was mostly on laptops if i remembered correctly
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I hate that too where you have to use an HDMI extension for an Amazon Fire Stick.
    +1
    I had a desktop with ME on it.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, And also cheap-ass desktop PCs like eMachines.
    Worst MS OS in history. Period.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My entertainment centers blocking all my io gotta fix that eventually
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I had used win 98 SE till XP arrived
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah I can still go for totinos