Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Theoretically. I said theoretically.

Could the reason Nintendo hasn't released an update to stop homebrew is because the Wii U has some part to play in the NX infrastructure going forward.

Could a firmware update be released that fills all the exploit holes and leaves a whole new OS running on the old Wii U hardware. Leaving a Wii U sandbox similar to the vWii they already have on the Wii U?

Am I being a bit too fantastical?

So many question. Thanks GBAtemp.
I mean... There's no reason why they couldn't do that; but considering the Wii U's sales numbers I doubt they'd put in the effort.
Don't forget - no software is without security holes. ;D

Reactions: the_randomizer

Chakratos

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Theoretically. I said theoretically.

Could the reason Nintendo hasn't released an update to stop homebrew is because the Wii U has some part to play in the NX infrastructure going forward.

Could a firmware update be released that fills all the exploit holes and leaves a whole new OS running on the old Wii U hardware. Leaving a Wii U sandbox similar to the vWii they already have on the Wii U?

A sandbox in a sandbox 'we have to go deeper' Inception style thing.

Am I being a bit too fantastical?

So many question. Thanks GBAtemp.

But at that time there will be vIOSU ;)
And IOSX (NX Firmware Hack)

ZambieVu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am having a hacked wii u now and it's on 32Gb sd card, I would like to upgrade to 128Gb sd card can anyone please guide me on how to transfer everything there so I can keep my wii u to be hacked. Thank you so much

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am having a hacked wii u now and it's on 32Gb sd card, I would like to upgrade to 128Gb sd card can anyone please guide me on how to transfer everything there so I can keep my wii u to be hacked. Thank you so much
Step 1: Select everything on your 32GB card
Step 2: Right click and select "copy"
Step 3: Eject that card from computer and insert 128GB card
Step 4: Right click on the cards root and select "paste"
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit

ZambieVu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@ZambieVu Um..you serious?
Sorry I'm a totally newbie with wii & wii u, I just bought it yesterday and it's been already hacked, I'm not getting used to nintendo things yet even tried alot to search & read all the guides in sticky topics but I am still confuse. Sorry if it disturbs but I really don't know about the function of SD card for wii u, does it content all the hack / custom firmware or just simply games backup & homebrew apps and can be changed without affecting to the system.

Thank you for your kind support

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Step 3 should be "Paste to Folder on Computer", and then increment each other step.

ZambieVu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks alot, it's just a very basic function and I am really appreciate your politeness of giving such instruction, so it means that once the wii u hacked then SD card will not affect it even when I format it isn't it (Just like usb to store Iso games on wii). Please correct me if I am wrong

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks alot, it's just a very basic function and I am really appreciate your politeness of giving such instruction, so it means that once the wii u hacked then SD card will not affect it even when I format it isn't it (Just like usb to store Iso games on wii). Please correct me if I am wrong
Nope, that's correct. Although it should be mentioned that your Wii U is only hacked for the time it is turned on. Once it's turned off it's reverted to its default stock state. So it's not "once the Wii U is hacked" the SD card you use doesn't matter, it's just that the SD card you use doesn't matter period, just the content that's on it

Reactions: ZambieVu

ZambieVu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, that's correct. Although it should be mentioned that your Wii U is only hacked for the time it is turned on. Once it's turned off it's reverted to its default stock state. So it's not "once the Wii U is hacked" the SD card you use doesn't matter, it's just that the SD card you use doesn't matter period, just the content that's on it
Ah, this is just the excellent answer for my questions for the past few days (which I cannot find in all the pro-instructions). So as I understand SD card is still like a MUST for wii U to be hacked and the key point is some exploits/apps installed on that SD card to be the tools everytime WiiU turn on. So it will not be hacked if:
1. No SD card
2. Empty Or screwed up SD card to be inserted

My main concern before asking the 1st question is the proper method of transfering data (if allowed) to another SD card, maybe I was thinking too complicated (due to using many complicated softwares/systems before that do not allow me to simply copy and paste like that).

P.s: Can I use a SDXC Sandisk 128Gb HS-I to run games backup on a hacked wii u

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, this is just the excellent answer for my questions for the past few days (which I cannot find in all the pro-instructions).

If WiiU is a new venture for you, you should also look into blocking the WiiU update servers (there's several threads here that mention them). There's 6 in total but I don't remember them off hand. A forum search should turn them up. Optionally there's also TubeHax DNS you can look for, but I'm not sure if it's still usable or not as the first method I mentioned is more "full proof".

ZambieVu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am really appreciate your support, I was wondering that you can help me in some wii issues or not (bcoz this is wii u box). I am having many questions related to both wii and wii u because I am Sony fan for the past 20 years and I just experience Nintendo wii and wii u for ... 2 weeks now (Gifted 1 wii and bought 1 wii u). If you can then I will ask some questions that already posted in wii box (but it seems not very active there)

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
@ZambieVu Um..you serious?
LMAO This post made my day. :rofl2:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I am really appreciate your support, I was wondering that you can help me in some wii issues or not (bcoz this is wii u box). I am having many questions related to both wii and wii u because I am Sony fan for the past 20 years and I just experience Nintendo wii and wii u for ... 2 weeks now (Gifted 1 wii and bought 1 wii u). If you can then I will ask some questions that already posted in wii box (but it seems not very active there)
If you have/can buy Brawl, sell your Wii and hack vWii on Wii U.
Easy money baby. ;)

ZambieVu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If WiiU is a new venture for you, you should also look into blocking the WiiU update servers (there's several threads here that mention them). There's 6 in total but I don't remember them off hand. A forum search should turn them up. Optionally there's also TubeHax DNS you can look for, but I'm not sure if it's still usable or not as the first method I mentioned is more "full proof".
Thank you, the "thing" you mentioned I've seen somewhere in the topics I read, I need to search it again for sure. Keep it simple for my understanding that process is to block my wii U to be automatically update firmware and loose hack ability isnt it?
P.s: Normally what do we call wii u version and custom version (for hack) like we call ofw and cfw for Sony stuffs?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, the "thing" you mentioned I've seen somewhere in the topics I read, I need to search it again for sure. Keep it simple for my understanding that process is to block my wii U to be automatically update firmware and loose hack ability isnt it?
P.s: Normally what do we call wii u version and custom version (for hack) like we call ofw and cfw for Sony stuffs?
There are no permanent cfw (custom firmware) for Wii u yet. It's all temporary. You run the hack everytime you boot. Reboot and you're back to normal Wii u

ZambieVu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
LMAO This post made my day. :rofl2:

If you have/can buy Brawl, sell your Wii and hack vWii on Wii U.
Easy money baby. ;)
Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't know what is Brawl. My Wii U has vWii hack already but the purpose of having a separate Wii is to give my kids to play in another apartment during weekend.
And my friends, in my country wii is cheap like hell, cost like 1 bill for restaurant dinner actually
Cheers ;)

There are no permanent cfw (custom firmware) for Wii u yet. It's all temporary. You run the hack everytime you boot. Reboot and you're back to normal Wii u
Yes I understand from what Insanity mentioned above, my question is how Nintendo boys call the operating system so later on when I ask I am not being trolled anymore lol :D (coz I barely see anyone here using fw or cfw for both wii and wii u)

Ah, 1 stupid question, if we can easily copy & paste data from SD card to SD card to keep wii u being hacked so why can't we just simply compress it and share via internet to avoid all the complicated hacking steps?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't know what is Brawl. My Wii U has vWii hack already but the purpose of having a separate Wii is to give my kids to play in another apartment during weekend.
And my friends, in my country wii is cheap like hell, cost like 1 bill for restaurant dinner actually
Cheers ;)

Yes I understand from what Insanity mentioned above, my question is how Nintendo boys call the operating system so later on when I ask I am not being trolled anymore lol :D (coz I barely see anyone here using fw or cfw for both wii and wii u)
There are no custom firmwares for Wii u or vwii

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're going to hear IOSU and RedNAND thrown around a lot in that regard, so I'll do a quick explanation of both
IOSU- The Wii U central security system. Runs signature and sanity checks on the console every time something is run. EVERYTHING GOES THROUGH IOSU. This is why an IOSU exploit is highly anticipated, because it would allow patching of signature checks, which allows titles to be installed directly to the console. However, that said, it is not actually an operating system, just a background process.
RedNAND- Redirected NAND. All operations cued to the internal storage chip are redirected to the SD card slot. This allows for messing with the operating system without a risk of bricking the console, as well as crafting your own custom firmwares (which don't exist... yet)

As for the answer to your question, the Wii U OS is officially named "CafeOS," referencing the Wii U's development name

Ah, 1 stupid question, if we can easily copy & paste data from SD card to SD card to keep wii u being hacked so why can't we just simply compress it and share via internet to avoid all the complicated hacking steps?
Look for "Homebrew App Store"

Reactions: ZambieVu

ZambieVu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You're going to hear IOSU and RedNAND thrown around a lot in that regard, so I'll do a quick explanation of both
IOSU- The Wii U central security system. Runs signature and sanity checks on the console every time something is run. EVERYTHING GOES THROUGH IOSU. This is why an IOSU exploit is highly anticipated, because it would allow patching of signature checks, which allows titles to be installed directly to the console. However, that said, it is not actually an operating system, just a background process.
RedNAND- Redirected NAND. All operations cued to the internal storage chip are redirected to the SD card slot. This allows for messing with the operating system without a risk of bricking the console, as well as crafting your own custom firmwares (which don't exist... yet)

As for the answer to your question, the Wii U OS is officially named "CafeOS," referencing the Wii U's development name

Look for "Homebrew App Store"
Wow, it's just a perfect explaination for a newbie like me, I did not know about all that until now and it's very easy to understand. It's totally different from other systems that I am familiar with. So basically we just messing around with the "allowed and usable slot - RedNAND" and to get passed by the security gate to run homebrew apps (which have abiltiy to run Game backups) without bricking wii U - means with current method Wii U will not be bricked at all is it (different from Wii softmod) am I correct?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse