Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this isn't going to be another 4.1.0 to 5.0.0 issue is it?

All current versions above and including 4.0.0 work. Future versions are likely to break the exploit as well, but we could do a similar thing to blindly dump the RAM again. A more future-proof option would be finding an exploit that doesn't depend on exact function addresses. That's something I'll look into eventually.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just have my firewall set to block all outgoing connections from my Wii U MAC address to public IP space.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Also, I was just looking at the tri-core Linux thread and had a thought. I know that a while back, there was a proof-of-concept launcher for the Wii that would run Windows 95. Has anyone tried porting that (Or even a newer version) to the Wii U and tried getting that working with tri-core?

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But... that don't makes the Wii U connection to internet useless? it's the same as deleting the internet connetions?

No it's not the same as deleting the internet connection setting.

I can still use private IP space in my local domain (where my web server is hosted with exploit). I don't really care about connecting outside of my own network.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I was just looking at the tri-core Linux thread and had a thought. I know that a while back, there was a proof-of-concept launcher for the Wii that would run Windows 95. Has anyone tried porting that (Or even a newer version) to the Wii U and tried getting that working with tri-core?

Not that I know of, we could use something to get that thread humming again ;)

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I know of, we could use something to get that thread humming again ;)

Good luck with that, considering Windows 95 wouldn't ever be able to see those extra cores. That is unless you're willing to rewrite the entire OS on something that's closed source XD. Gl with that

Reactions: Goku Junior

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, good news guys. :) Thanks to some work by Chadderz and me, we were able to get memory dumps on a 5.0.0 Wii U. I then used these memory dumps to rebuild the ROP chain, which as it turns out, also works on 5.1.0. This means that all versions of the Wii U system software above and including 4.0.0 are supported. As always, you can find the code here.

keep up the good work! Looks like I'll be updating thehomebrewcometh soon :)

Reactions: the_randomizer

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Anyway why we need the Windows 95 now? It makes remind me when someone wanted Android in the Wii U, this case is similar because Windows 95 doesn't have PowerPC support, only Windows NT, and the DOSBOX was an emulator, but it was very limited, it has only 16MB of RAM to use for emulating a PC.
And sorry for the double post.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TeamScriptKiddies I had a question, The Homebrew cometh... is like a The Homebrew Channel for launching apps?

Kind of, except its really primitive :P. Its completely web based for use with the Webkit/Browser exploit only. Consider it me paying homage to the original creators of HBC (Team F0F fka Team Twizzers). It doesn't stack up to the work they did by any means, its just a makeshift menu for now. And of course sadly after launching an "app" there's no way to go back to the menu or the Wii U menu without forcing the console off and restarting it lol. Like it said, its really primitive right now, its more of a proof of concept then anything. As for actual apps, all we have publicly available are various Helloworlds so no real apps yet. However if Chadderz decides to release his ppc kernel exploit, you can guarandamntee I'll be adding it to my menu :).

To try out the menu simply point your Wii U's browser to www.thehomebrewcometh.tk. Currently only firmwares 4.0.X and 4.1.0 are supported (as there aren't any publicly hosted "apps" for the Wii U for 5.0.0 and 5.1.0 just yet, but as soon as those are out, I will add them :). If you're on a different firmware then mentioned above, you can certainly still browse through the menu, it just won't launch any apps. If you try to launch anything the console will just hang but code execution won't happen.

the_randomizer I hope that also answers your question :P

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of, except its really primitive :P. Its completely web based for use with the Webkit/Browser exploit only. Consider it me paying homage to the original creators of HBC (Team F0F fka Team Twizzers). It doesn't stack up to the work they did by any means, its just a makeshift menu for now. And of course sadly after launching an "app" there's no way to go back to the menu or the Wii U menu without forcing the console off and restarting it lol. Like it said, its really primitive right now, its more of a proof of concept then anything. As for actual apps, all we have publicly available are various Helloworlds so no real apps yet. However if Chadderz decides to release his ppc kernel exploit, you can guarandamntee I'll be adding it to my menu :).

To try out the menu simply point your Wii U's browser to www.thehomebrewcometh.tk. Currently only firmwares 4.0.X and 4.1.0 are supported (as there aren't any publicly hosted "apps" for the Wii U for 5.0.0 and 5.1.0 just yet, but as soon as those are out, I will add them :). If you're on a different firmware then mentioned above, you can certainly still browse through the menu, it just won't launch any apps. If you try to launch anything the console will just hang but code execution won't happen.

the_randomizer I hope that also answers your question :P

So...what exactly kind of apps can be launched? Will we be able to return to the Wii U menu after launching an app in the near future? I hope that one of these days emulators can be ported ;)

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So...what exactly kind of apps can be launched? Will we be able to return to the Wii U menu after launching an app in the near future? I hope that one of these days emulators can be ported ;)

I don't know, but maybe when we can install apps like we do it in Wii with the channels, it will be a launcher in an app so that app will have that support, I think it will work like Wii The Homebrew Channel.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Not much of anything yet. Mostly all thats out there for the webkit exploit are simple helloworld scripts. With the exception of Chadderz and beans ppc kernel exploit (which isn't released publicly yet). This was meant to be a proof of concept more then anything else at all. Still a neat little project though ;).

As for returning to the menu or Wii U Menu, at this current point in time, that doesn't appear to be possible via the Webkit exploit alone. We would need access outside of just the userspace to pull that off (correct me if I'm wrong here). A simple way of doing it, would be a write a script that forces the console to reset entirely (once we gain the proper access in Wii U mode) when a certain button is pressed or whatever. At least that would be a starting point for such a feat.

Emulators might be possible, I mean we have userspace access now and we know for a fact that ppc kernel access is achievable, its just a matter of time before the console is cracked wide open. Once that happens, emulators could be run in Wii U mode decently (until they're tweaked to near perfect ;))

Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.