Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

[Alt][F4]

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We need a definite answer, I can trade in 600 coins at club nintendo and get w101. Nintendo is really making it hard not to upgrade the firmware with club nintendo final rewards and metroid trilogy for $10 only.:lol:

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
We need a definite answer, I can trade in 600 coins at club nintendo and get w101. Nintendo is really making it hard not to upgrade the firmware with club nintendo final rewards and metroid trilogy for $10 only.:lol:

LUCKY. I'm trying to find people to trade for a NSMB2 code.

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did anyone get a setup going with Gecko on the internal gamecube ports and look into fail0verflow's discovered 'Design flaw'?

its hard to follow their video, with the bad English and showmanship, but they seam to have found a way to write custom data between the CPU's signature vacation. I think this is what they were aiming at when they made that '3-core' scene challenge. they keep saying there is only one bite thats needed to change between signature vacation to allow vwii to have full access to all wiiu hardware. I dont mind buying a modchip or launching a wiiu homebrew from vwii

Reactions: Margen67

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did anyone get a setup going with Gecko on the internal gamecube ports and look into fail0verflow's discovered 'Design flaw'?

its hard to follow their video, with the bad English and showmanship, but they seam to have found a way to write custom data between the CPU's signature vacation. I think this is what they were aiming at when the made that '3-core' scene challenge. they keep saying there is only one bite thats needed to change between signature vacation to allow vwii to have full access to all wiiu hardware. I dont mind buying a modchip or launching a wiiu homebrew from vwii

Fail0verflow were looking at exploiting the system for different things than we are. Because of their approach, they were limited to hardware IOs like the sensor bar output and GPIOs. We're exploiting the browser, so we can just do RPC over wifi.
That being said, yes. We've done most of the things they explained in their video.

Reactions: Margen67

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fail0verflow were looking at exploiting the system for different things than we are. Because of their approach, they were limited to hardware IOs like the sensor bar output and GPIOs. We're exploiting the browser, so we can just do RPC over wifi.
That being said, yes. We've done most of the things they explained in their video.

the CPU's can be reset independent of one another. did you guys try this 'timing hack' in place of a full-blown IOSu/kernel hack? (over whatever your using to execute code)

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For me it's more the installation than the purchase. Even if it was no solder or whatever, the concept of opening up my system to install an extra chip is somewhat hard to take.

I love ripping mine apart haha the 1st thing i do when i get a new console is tare it down and upgrade the cooling (thermal paste, extra vents, bigger fan)

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Timing hacks are really low-level and thus out of the scope of what most of us want to do. We're working top-down rather than bottom-up, I guess. ('we' in all of these cases being everyone who's currently publicly working on the wii u)

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Timing hacks are really low-level and thus out of the scope of what most of us want to do. We're working top-down rather than bottom-up, I guess. ('we' in all of these cases being everyone who's currently publicly working on the wii u)

so its not as simple as loading a custom bootloader with key checks removed and fake the signature using the timing hack?

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so its not as simple as loading a custom bootloader with key checks removed and fake the signature using the timing hack?

An RGH-style approach like that would definitely be interesting, but nobody's tried yet afaik. We'd need to be able to decrypt and tweak stages of bootloader in a given system to be able to pull that off, and I don't know if the encryption for each BL level is well-documented or not.

Also RGH on the 360 utilized a line which could be asserted to dramatically lower the system clock (by 128 times). Not having an analog to this on the Wii U would make glitching the bootloader basically impossible.

Reactions: PhyChris

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
An RGH-style approach like that would definitely be interesting, but nobody's tried yet afaik. We'd need to be able to decrypt and tweak stages of bootloader in a given system to be able to pull that off, and I don't know if the encryption for each BL level is well-documented or not.

Also RGH on the 360 utilized a line which could be asserted to dramatically lower the system clock (by 128 times). Not having an analog to this on the Wii U would make glitching the bootloader basically impossible.

haha i recently sold my rgh console. nothing to do with it without live. you would not need to use this rgh with slower clocks, Fail0verflow did it with just the gecko. dont forget you have a whole other CPU in the system to handle the timing. The 360 did not.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha i recently sold my rgh console. nothing to do with it without live. you would not need to use this rgh with slower clocks, Fail0verflow did it with just the gecko. dont forget you have a whole other CPU in the system to handle the timing. The 360 did not.

Fail0verflow did not do a glitch hack like what I'm discussing, they just threw the CPU into a weird state by asserting SRESET for too short of a time. This has already been done and released publicly.

Also the 360 DID have a secondary CPU to handle the execution of various hacks. The original SMC ("JTAG") hack used the SMC (which is just a general-purpose CPU) to trigger the exploit. This wasn't used for the glitch hack, though, because its role in the system didn't really facilitate what was needed to trigger that exploit.

Reactions: PhyChris

PhyChris

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fail0verflow did not do a glitch hack like what I'm discussing, they just threw the CPU into a weird state by asserting SRESET for too short of a time. This has already been done and released publicly.

Also the 360 DID have a secondary CPU to handle the execution of various hacks. The original SMC ("JTAG") hack used the SMC (which is just a general-purpose CPU) to trigger the exploit. This wasn't used for the glitch hack, though, because its role in the system didn't really facilitate what was needed to trigger that exploit.

I know they did not do anything like a 360 rgh type hack. they were able to do this before they tried to get the keys for fun. (yes before they found the "drunk CPU" bug)

they showed the system has a design flaw, allowing you to fake signature checks. this can be done at any point of the boot chain.

edit: we need someone to make a re-dub of that video in english lol

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't care about firmware spoofing or game modding, this is MY point of view. BTW I will not blame you because you want that kind of hack ! Then you should understand that NOT EVERYBODY wants what YOU want.

I'd like to be able to play scumm games (DOTT, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, etc.) on the Wii U gamepad and see the action on my big TV screen
I'd like to be able to play GC games with Nintendont, in my bed, without TV.
I'd like to be able to play snes/genesis/nes/gba/gbc/gb/n64 (<<--- put any other 16/32/64 consoles here) games, with or without TV screen

I would love to be able to do what I want with MY wii U, and if I want emulators, this is MY choice. I also don't care about piracy, and this is my choice too !

should we have to explain why we want this or that ? I don't think so.
Yes, my computer can already do that, like my my wii, 360, gcw-zero, freezer, car and that should be really fun on wii U too !

Really hope that one day, MY dreams come true. Not everyone wants hack to download and play wii U games for free ! :moogle:

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know they did not do anything like a 360 rgh type hack. they were able to do this before they tried to get the keys for fun. (yes before they found the "drunk CPU" bug)

they showed the system has a design flaw, allowing you to fake signature checks. this can be done at any point of the boot chain.

edit: we need someone to make a re-dub of that video in english lol

Team Trinux is working on utilizing that "drunk cpu" bug to create an alternative homebrew platform that way. We would however like to be able to port Trinux over to full blown Wii U mode eventually (using the kernel exploit) so we can work on giving Trinux full access to all of the Wii U's hardware. Using the "drunk cpu" method, we're only able to get the two additional cores of the Espresso processor up and running and working together under linux (not functioning as SMP yet WIP) at the whopping speed of 729mhz per core XD. Still its a big step up from traditional homebrew for the Wii/vWii. Wii U iso loading will never be possible using the "drunk" method however due to the very limited resources it has. It will make for an excellent development environment and homebrew platform once we achieve tri-core smp though :)

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh man seems like I came here at the best time.

Hey guys, let's keep this thread on topic and stop de-railing it. We need to keep this on topic and not off topic because that would be derailing it. Everyone clear?

Ok now lets get back to topic.

Topic Time

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd love to look into whether or not anything useful can be done with a reset glitch. Attacking the system as it boots into Wii U mode would be a pretty reasonable way to gain control of everything. Being an RGLoader dev for a bit made me really appreciate patching a system as it boots, I suppose.

Thaaaaat being said, not having any access to boot1 to modify/glitch makes that pretty much impossible. I guess I'll sit on this for a while.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably the #1 reason why I want the Wii U hacked is piracy. The #2 one (dead serious) is playing Super Mario 64 on the GamePad.

Uhh Dude!! Come on!! TOPIC keep ON TOPIC. We need TOPIC HERE FOLKS.

wait,,. is the topic Piracy vs Homebrew? I forget now.

Everyone talking about hacking the WiiU CUT IT OUT and stay on topic.

What is your opinion on piracy and homebrew? Personally I shoplift all my games and steal them out of people trunks around the holidays. But it's justified because they just cost too much and I've bought them before. Big Nintendo going to miss my 60 bucks? I think not, it's a victimless crime.

Same goes for homebrew. I spent so much money on the HBC for Wii that I wish I could steal it for WiiU but I have end up buying the WiiU version I suppose.

SO Lets STAY ON TOPIC

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: