Wii U Games that work without a Gamepad?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Games & Content' started by Yandere-chan, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Yandere-chan
    OP

Yandere-chan The One and Only

Nov 11, 2016
    United States
    Hidden in your NAND
    Could someone tell me what all Wii U Games work at least 90% without a gamepad? The ones I am 100% sure about are
    • Mario Kart 8 (from start to end, without Gamepad)
    • Super Mario 3D World (100% playable, theres about 3 to 4 levels that need a Gamepad, excluding Captain Toad levels.)
    • New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi. U (Works 100% without a Gamepad, full game is completely playable from start to end)
    • Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze (Works fully without a Gamepad, from start to end.)
    Games I'd like confirmation on
    • Zelda Breath of the Wild
    • Pikmin 3
    • Wind Waker HD
    • Sonic Racing Transformed (Full Game, tried Demo, worked wonderfully with Pro Controller.)
    • Sonic Lost World (Heard something about needing a Gamepad for Single Player mode, and to launch the game)
    • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Wii U
    • Mario Tennis Ultra Smash
    • Splatoon
    • Super Mario Maker (kind of a dumb question, since it completely needs the Gamepad but, I heard that you can use Pro Controller for PLAYING levels if you already have a save or something like that)
    • Xenoblade Chronicles X
    • Yoshi's Woolly World
    • Hyrule Warriors
    Aswell as Virtual Console titles from the following systems
    • NES
    • SNES
    • GBA
    • NDS
    • N64
    Thank you.

Last edited by Yandere-chan, Oct 11, 2017
  2. ThisIsJohn

ThisIsJohn Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    California.
    Honestly, no offense meant towards you specifically, but I will never understand these threads. The Gamepad is part of the system. It's not that big of deal. Use it when you have to and use another controller when you have the option to you. It's not that bad, trust me.

3. Yandere-chan
    OP

Nov 11, 2016
    United States
    Hidden in your NAND
    I do not own a Gamepad full time. I am currently borrowing a console from a store to just do some things that need the Gamepad then returning it. It is way out of my price range as I don't have any way of making any money and when I do, it's very small. I did some things like
    • Added nearly 50 Mii characters to my Mii Maker since a Gamepad is REQUIRED for it and I wanted to use Miis in Mario Kart 8
    • Did anything I needed to in System Settings
    • Tested out Netflix and YouTube
    • Tried launching a title that needs the Gamepad connected (Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric Demo) and tried playing it with another controller (Fail, didn't work.)
    • Tried out games on the Gamepad without the television being on and while being in another room.
    • Tried out the Internet Browser, not like that matters.
    Things I still need to do
    • Complete all of the Gamepad levels in Super Mario 3D World with all stamps and stars collected, aswell as playing through them with all of the characters for golden stars on the level icons (and for another star on my file)

4. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    Smash and Both zeldas work sans game pad. The rest including super Mario maker (the intro forces you to use game pad to set up the first level) need it
    Hyrule Warriors ultra smash and Sonic All Stars Racing transformed work too

Last edited by SANIC, Oct 11, 2017
  5. Proust

Proust Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2017
    Swaziland
    For some it's simply an annoying part of the system. I'm one of those that can't stand the gamepad and prefer to have it off, while playing on a pro or other controller.

6. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    every game that is compatible with wiiu pro or Classic controller works without the gamepad...

7. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    That's not true tho, many games like Sonic Lost World or Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games specifically require you to use the game pad at start up no matter what

8. Yandere-chan
    OP

Nov 11, 2016
    United States
    Hidden in your NAND
    Yeah

9. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    Trust me it can't be as annoying as dealing with a crappy 360 d-pad or that damn touch pad on the PS4.

10. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    oh yeah i hate the touch pad on ps4 controller i mean killzone sucked on ps4 an the touchpad commands just made it even worse imo.

11. wolf-snake

wolf-snake GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 5, 2009
    Mexico
    I wish that touchpad was used for something, after launch it pretty much became a glorified select button.