Wii U GamePad battery life

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by osaka35, Dec 25, 2012.

?

Does the gamepad battery life affect your playing?

Yes, it's horribly frustrating 2 vote(s) 28.6%
Yes, but it's just a minor annoyance 2 vote(s) 28.6%
No, I don't mind having it plugged in 1 vote(s) 14.3%
No, it lasts as long as I need it to 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Never noticed one way or the other 2 vote(s) 28.6%
Dec 25, 2012

osaka35 Sleepy

Message Count:
    United States
    Didn't see a thread about this, so I thought I'd start one.

How long does your Gamepad battery life last?
    A single charge is suppose to last 3-5 hours, officially, but I've found that on the highest settings mine last about an hour to an hour and a half.

Does the short battery life affect your playing/gamepad use?
    It does for me. Highly annoying and makes me feel like I can never get too far away from my charging cable/stand.

Here are a few reasons/situations where the battery life is a headache for me and can seriously dampen the Wii U experience:
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!
    For me, it's a horrible situation. Just as you get into the flow of things, it's a scramble for the charging cable. Yes, the game-pad is doing a lot, but an hour and a half to two hours is just not gamer friendly. Casual play friendly perhaps, but not friendly for any kind of extended play. Don't get me wrong, I love my Wii U. I just wish I could love it for extended plays without worrying about battery levels. Please keep in mind that even if none of these situations apply to you, they apply to many people. All of these situations apply to me and it is infuriating.
    Last edited by osaka35, Jan 2, 2013

driverdis Searching for Pandora

Message Count:
    United States
    Its Nintendo's fault. I have poor battery life with my gamepad also. i just figured that I lost track of time and that I played it longer then i thought.

Nintendo used a 1500MAH battery (same MAH that Samsung Galaxy 1 phones use) thats way under capacity for a gamepad, especially since the gamepad has a huge battery slot under the cover that could fit a battery 2.5x the capacity.

Nintendo used a LCD screen rather then a Energy Efficient OLED (PS Vita's have this, the screen has awesome black level and viewing angles) or AMOLED (some android phones use this, Samsung does for theirs,they look great also)
    the viewing angles suck from it being a standard LCD screen also.The PS Vita with OLED and Android phones with AMOLED have excellent to near perfect viewing angles.

Nintendo used a high performance Wireless N 5GHz chipset for the Gamepad. Wireless N 5GHz Chipsets with the performance needed to handle the streaming that it does are not exactly power efficient. This would of been fine if the battery would of been 2.5X the capacity.