WII U external hard drive recovery

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Drak, Jan 13, 2018 at 3:39 PM.

1. Drak
    OP

Drak Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2007
    Canada
    Hi, 2 weeks ago, I tried making a backup data from my WIIU external hard drive. While the WIIU was closed, I unplugged my external hard drive and plugged it in my computer. I saw that Windows wasn't detecting it (Windows 10).

So I tried plugging it in my second laptop (Windows 7). Still no pop-ups and it didn't seem to detect the drive. So I went to disk management and I saw the drive as "unallocated". So I didn't want to touch it. I didn't format it. I didn't do anything.

When I plugged it back to WIIU to see if I could do another form of backup, it wasn't detected either. I actually had a pop-up that asked me if I wanted to format the drive to be compatible with the WIIU. I pressed cancel or no and closed down the console.

This is sickening.... Nintendo not having a form of cloud save data is really crazy to me. I have many many hours of save data with no backups. What started as a simple prevention measure ended in a demising result. I'm supposing my second computer automatically did something do the hard drive so it lost the link with the WIIU.

For now I just unplugged the drive and did not touch my WIIU since then. I'm hoping there's some sort of solution to this.

Please help.

Last edited by Drak, Jan 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM
  2. killmister2

killmister2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2017
    Canada
    AFAIK, the only way to backup your WiiU stuff is by plugging in another USB device, and use the WiiU Data Management to copy games and/or saves from one drive to another. Just remember that any native formatted WiiU drive can only be used on the same WiiU.

Nintendo doesn't offer any form of cloud save because there is no fees (like PS+ for Sony).

If your WiiU ask you to format your drive, then you most probably are SOL, sorry.

3. Nimrod-002

Nimrod-002 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    Morocco
    you shouldve used savemii to backp saves to sd card or ftpii_everywhere to copy the saves folder via wifi. i dont know if windows edits the partition table without asking the user first, that would be pretty scummy.

your vwii saves are safe fyi

Last edited by Nimrod-002, Jan 13, 2018 at 4:14 PM
  4. killmister2

killmister2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 24, 2017
    Canada
    We aren't in the homebrew section, so I guess OP wants to know official ways to backup his saves. But indeed, those with a homebrew entrypoint can use savemii or ftpii_everywhere to do the job.

5. Drak
    OP

Drak Member

Newcomer
    Oct 29, 2007
    Canada
    Indeed, my console has no homebrew or hack. And it's too late now.

I thought there was a way to reput the "link" between the WIIU and external drive?

6. Nimrod-002

Nimrod-002 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2016
    Morocco
  7. flowlapache

flowlapache Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2010
    France
    Backup is possible on your wii U with the 2 HDD plugged