Wii U doesn't turn on, any ideas?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by netovsk, Jan 6, 2017.

1. netovsk
    OP

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Red light turns on (continuous, as if in standby), the white light from the disc drive turns on, it doesnt eject the disc, it doesn't power on, controller can't communicate with it. I already tried power cycling both the console and the ac adapter for 10 minutes.

How did it happen: Was playing mario & luigi on vc (legit) and suddenly it froze. No homebrew nor cfw.

What could it be? Just so I don't get ripped when I send it to repair (assuming it's worth it).

2. Alex4U

Alex4U edgy

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    with Snivy, Mystery Zone (Adress 0x00)
    Wow... this is very strange...
    Disconnecting USB's doesn't work? SD too?
    A update was processing when you was playing? did you disconnected AC power when the console was ON?

netovsk likes this.
  3. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I would take the power supply to a electronics repair shop and have them test it with a multi-meter to make sure it is operating to spec before sending the console to Nintendo.

netovsk likes this.
  4. netovsk
    OP

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    update: I plugged it directly into the wall and sometimes the blue led turns on but keeps blinking slowly.

Thanks for the help so far, I just want to narrow down the possibilities so that the repair shop doesn't try to rip me off.

edit: No, it wasnt updating or anything, it was on 5.5.1 and I'm using tubehax dns. I was playing mario and luigi partners in time legit vc, bought it on eshop. No cfw or homebrew.

Last edited by netovsk, Jan 8, 2017 - Reason: Further explanation
  5. Alex4U

Alex4U edgy

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    with Snivy, Mystery Zone (Adress 0x00)
    holy s### that is very strange
    Maybe AC adapter is damaged? I don't know ;/

netovsk likes this.
  6. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Just to be clear, by power supply I mean the cord and the "brick" on the cord, not whatever is inside the console. A new power supply on Amazon is $7-$15 but I have no idea what it is in Brazil. I know things a different there.

If this was happening to me I would just order a new power supply as that woukd be cheaper than driving to a store and paying some bench fee.

netovsk likes this.
  7. netovsk
    OP

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    You were right!!

The new ac adapter just arrived and my Wii U works again now.

I emailed the guy at the repair shop and he said it seemed like a faulty disc drive haha

Thank you so much!!!

Edit: It worked at first, then back to square one. Seems it has to cool off

Last edited by netovsk, Jan 11, 2017
  8. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    That is weird. Try pulling the battery out and just using AC. See if that works.

9. Bravest_Luigi

Bravest_Luigi Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    United States
    I'm having this same issue, except my Wiiu LED blinks blue, and the Wii U gamepad says it couldn't connect to the Wiiu, any ideas?

10. netovsk
    OP

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    I tried pulling the console battery out as told, no success.

Nintendo consoles used to be bulletproof, seems this has changed.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I guess its repair shop now.

11. Derpncheez

Derpncheez Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2016
    United States
    I'm also having this issue, but maybe someone might be able to help me.

I was kind of being a jackass by opening up my console, looking around inside, and I think the DVD Drive ribbon cable got crimped.

Does the Wii U not boot if the Disc Drive is inoperable/Ribbon Cable got fudged up?

Appreciate any and all help!

12. netovsk
    OP

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Good thing is, probably not worth repairing your drive if you're going for piracy. An external hard drive would be more useful.

I sent mine in to repair, will let you know what it is if I ultimately decide to authorize the repairs on it. Seems like there is an internal voltage converter, could be that (I hope so).