Not open for further replies.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They are making virtual console DS games on the Wii U.

Yes, I am aware, but we have to be real, Nintendo will leave a LOT of good DS games out of the VC library, like they did with the N64 back on the Wii, that's why a emulator would be the best option... or VC DS Injects too.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
As the person behind this, I should point out that Nintendo can't patch this exploit through firmware updates. What I (and fail0verflow before me) did was take advantage of a design flaw in the Boot ROM, and the Boot ROM can never be updated. Nintendo could change the Boot ROM with newer Wii U's, but all current Wii U's are vulnerable.

nice forward thinking, gives us a chance to use the exploit for it's full potential, lets hope we hear more news soon, i don't want this to be another Four Horsemen situation...

Reactions: Coto

Nismax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And watch what's going to happen, mass amounts of people buying Wii U's. That's good for Nintendo, it's a POSITIVE thing.

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, let me state this loud and clear, since that's the only thing that seems to work here. This is the abridged version of Delroth's post.

THIS EXPLOIT IS COMPLETELY USELESS FOR PIRACY AND HOMEBREW ALIKE. YOU WILL NEVER USE IT ON YOUR WII U FOR ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ARE A DEVELOPER LIKE THE AUTHOR. THE EXPLOIT DOESN'T BREAK ANY SECURITY THAT WASN'T ALREADY BROKEN AND USELESS.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Okay, let me state this loud and clear, since that's the only thing that seems to work here. This is the abridged version of Delroth's post.

THIS EXPLOIT IS COMPLETELY USELESS FOR PIRACY AND HOMEBREW ALIKE. YOU WILL NEVER USE IT ON YOUR WII U FOR ANYTHING UNLESS YOU ARE A DEVELOPER LIKE THE AUTHOR. THE EXPLOIT DOESN'T BREAK ANY SECURITY THAT WASN'T ALREADY BROKEN AND USELESS.

What is it for then? Watching a static jpg image?
If there is something that is being worked on by any developer, they will eventually release it causing some "homebrew", right?
I don't see the point of even making a exploit if it will not be used for homebrew or hackin (I don't care about piracy)

Reactions: djbubba2002

marcan_troll

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is it for then? Watching a static jpg image?
If there is something a being worked on by any developer, they will eventually release it causing some "homebrew", right?
I don't see the point of even making a exploit if it will not be used for homebrew or hackin (I don't care about piracy)

It serves precisely three purposes:

1. It paves the way for a different exploit which, while ALSO not breaking anything not broken, and ALSO being useless for homebrew/piracy, makes it slightly easier to analyze the rest of the system once you do break it using yet another completely unrelated exploit.
2. It's cute and cool. We're hackers, we like breaking things even if it's useless. We also like laughing at Nintendo because they clearly didn't intend for this to happen, even though it's rendered moot by other flaws in the system.
3. Unfortunately, it also gives harryoke an excuse to post more utter nonsense and a completely fake gamepad photo that has nothing to do with any of this.

In other words, it allows MarioNumber1 to say he dumped the boot rom (good job!), and if he implements the HRESET exploit, and if he implements an undisclosed, completely unrelated, much more complex Wii U mode exploit, then he will have a slightly easier/more convenient time reverse engineering the rest of the system. It's not even a make-or-break thing, just a slight convenience.

Really, we did it because number 2.

And yes, Nintendo can't fix this on existing consoles, but even if they fix it on newer ones it's completely fucking irrelevant because only a single person in the world has to use this exploit once, ever, and after that it's completely and utterly useless for every purpose, period. The only purpose of this exploit is to learn more about how the console works.

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy, that very thing which the Dutch government (amongst a few others) has recently just stood up for.

As for me, I'm in this for the home brew! I'd think nearly any game that has been released as open source in the past should for sure be able to run on the Wii U just fine, assuming they could be ported that is. The sky should just about be the limit in regards to emulation. I don't see why the Wii U could not pull of the Dreamcast which would be a major boon because I could at last sell off my Dreamcast(s) with their SD cards, controllers, memory cards and the whole lot. I do not like loading on disc based systems in the least so in that respect, I'd rather emulate it. Likewise Playstation, DSi, and all other forms of slightly high end emulation should be possible.
I don't even need to make mention of the game pad really. If we're going to have emulation then obviously it's any ambitious coder out there would want to make sure to support both the TV and the game pad's screen. Original home brews could most certainly explore new territory here, and even source ports could benefit from it, I.E. Odamex, DOOM64 Ex, Quake 3, etc. You could assign your weapons to the touch screen, as well as your health and all other states should you want to commit the TV display to nothing but the action.
Last but not least are the media capabilities. Currently, if I want to watch a movie on a Wii, I have to convert it down to DVD standards, which if converted from a Blueray, still looks BRILLIANT in the end, but otherwise still requires one to waste time making a conversion.

What else is there to say, I have high hopes that all this will evolve into something...

...but as the article states... don't get my hopes up.

Back to piracy though. I think it should be an option as long as there are sweat shops, corrupt business policy, the like, that piracy should be an option. I.E. I want to experience Super Mario 3D World, but I don't want to contribute to the above mentioned incarnations of greed, so I can either Opt for Piracy or Buying the Game used (which does as much "damage" as piracy), or I can Opt for supporting things which I would burn in hell for if I were a Christian.

Reactions: djbubba2002

A Plus Ric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought Super Mario 3d World, Zelda WWHD, Super Mario WiiU and Ducktales Remastered. Got the games I like and want. And for you "Backup Loaders" Most of the games you would want to "backup" are available for download on the Eshop, You could have bought them already "backed up" for you.

I still consider only wanting ports or emulation as basically just wanting piracy in my mind.

I'd rather they just found a way for Gamepad/3 cores working in Vwii if possible and not even have the options available for backups in WiiU mode.

TuckerTheWheelman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought Super Mario 3d World, Zelda WWHD, Super Mario WiiU and Ducktales Remastered. Got the games I like and want. And for you "Backup Loaders" Most of the games you would want to "backup" are available for download on the Eshop, You could have bought them already "backed up" for you.

I still consider only wanting ports or emulation as basically just wanting piracy in my mind.

I'd rather they just found a way for Gamepad/3 cores working in Vwii if possible and not even have the options available for backups in WiiU mode.

I bought all those and more and i am still looking for the expansion of all areas of wii u including things "backup loaders" want. I don't know what fantasy land you live in because the e shop on my Wii u has a very limited selection.

Kargaroc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, I don't expect console homebrew to look good in the future. All the good hackers are leaving the console space because there's better things to do, and the lowering difficulty of piracy along with the riding difficulty of homebrew just pushes them away. So that only leaves the non-hackers left. And they'll just let everything fall into disarray and cause a "dark age" of console hacking because they have little experience.

Not to mention the people who feed on the knowledge gained from hacking, like The Cutting Room Floor. They'll just get left for dead.

ihateu3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It serves precisely three purposes:

1. It paves the way for a different exploit which, while ALSO not breaking anything not broken, and ALSO being useless for homebrew/piracy, makes it slightly easier to analyze the rest of the system once you do break it using yet another completely unrelated exploit.
2. It's cute and cool. We're hackers, we like breaking things even if it's useless. We also like laughing at Nintendo because they clearly didn't intend for this to happen, even though it's rendered moot by other flaws in the system.
3. Unfortunately, it also gives harryoke an excuse to post more utter nonsense and a completely fake gamepad photo that has nothing to do with any of this.

In other words, it allows MarioNumber1 to say he dumped the boot rom (good job!), and if he implements the HRESET exploit, and if he implements an undisclosed, completely unrelated, much more complex Wii U mode exploit, then he will have a slightly easier/more convenient time reverse engineering the rest of the system. It's not even a make-or-break thing, just a slight convenience.

Really, we did it because number 2.

And yes, Nintendo can't fix this on existing consoles, but even if they fix it on newer ones it's completely fucking irrelevant because only a single person in the world has to use this exploit once, ever, and after that it's completely and utterly useless for every purpose, period. The only purpose of this exploit is to learn more about how the console works.

Did you guys somehow not see this post????

Reactions: Kargaroc

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
Game sales (3DS) are what is keeping Nintendo in business right now, you are saying that by increasing console sales they will get better... maybe for the first few weeks and then all game sales dry up.

Also, HomeBrew dev's aren't in this for Piracy, okay maybe some are but the majority are in it to run things unintended for Wii U on a WiiU.

Piracy will always happen but it is not the main reason to "Hack" something, it is merely a by-product.
What would keep Nintendo in business is selling their games at $30 at launch and their systems for less than $200. As they stand they are far too overpriced for their content (or lack thereof). It's laughable that a 2.5D DK sidescroller 20 years later is going for $60.

They spend so freaking little on production that what's killing them is greed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE