OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah what the topic says:
reg hardware article said:
Nintendo has revealed its next-generation console, the Wii, will retail in the US for $250 or less, and no more than ¥25,000 ($220/£119/€174) in Japan. It also expects to have shipped more than 6m of the machines by March 2007, the company said today.

Source: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/25/ni...icing_revealed/

Given that is less than what I paid for an XBox but a few months ago (albeit with 17 games) I think this could spell a nice return to form for Nintendo's home consoles.

We will have to wait and see now if the games will come to match and given what E3 had.......

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ugh... >_>. It's pretty much a given the Wii will launch for $200, considering all of Nintendo's past consoles have launched at this price!

To add more fuel to the fire:

QUOTE said:
Hints at a $200 Wii price?
Posted May 23rd 2006 5:15PM by David Hinkle
Filed under: Interviews

"In an exclusive interview with GameDaily BIZ, Satoru Iwata answered questions regarding the two different versions of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, the insane popularity of the DS in Japan, and the Wii's pricing. In what easily matters most to us frequenting this page, Iwata commented when asked about a $249 price that we shouldn't be so quick to be dead-set on that price idea.

BIZ: I know that Nintendo has not officially announced a price for the Wii, but a rumor we spotted this week in EGM suggests a $249 price tag. Do you want to comment on that?

SI: [Laughs] As you know, that is speculation and we did not comment on the price point at all. What we've been repeatedly saying is that it's going to be an affordable price point, and when we say affordable, you may want to check our past records of price points, launching price points for any past hardware... I think you'll agree that we always come up with an affordable price point. So when we announce the Wii price point in the near future, I believe you are going to say, "That's an affordable price point."
Source

If that wasn't a big indication the Wii is gonna be $200 I don't know what is... XD

But yeah it's unlikely to launch at $250, and if it did it's pretty much widely assumed there will be some sort of pack in e.g. extra wiimote and wii sports or say some classic game downloads. Maybe Nintendo will do a a core system for $200 and a 'family bundle' or something for $250? Would be nice but I dunno... either way $200 WTF!

smile.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember buying my Gamecube (well, my dad did) at launch in the UK for £150. Then a few weeks later. BAM. Price drop to £125 (I think). I wonder if they'll do the same again.

bolton2

bolton2
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yeah i waited outside target from 10pm will they reopened at 10am to be the first in line for my gamecube
tongue.gif
and a day after i had it i could have sold it for $400 dollars but i refused, and it has lasted even till today with no problems
smile.gif
tongue.gif

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i just wanna know when i can pre-order, and what titles to expect on day 1...again, to pre-order. nintendo can't take my money fast enough

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm going to call it at $199.99 at launch and this is why.

1996 - N64 debuts. Nintendo earlier in the year does a 'price cap' press release saying it would not cost more than $250. The price stays as that as the MSRP until weeks before launch -- it comes out at $199.99

2001 - GCN debuts. Nintendo earlier in the year does a 'price cap' press release saying it would not cost more than $250. The price stays as that as the MSRP until weeks before launch -- it comes out at $199.99

2006 - Wii debutes. Nintendo earlier in the year does a 'price cap' press release saying it would not cost more than $250. The price stays as that as the MSRP...???

I see a pattern.

Pattern aside though MS isn't dumb. I could easily see them try and combat the Wii and PS3 by taking its $300 core device and lowering it down to $250 at that time, and knocking the bigger one down $50 as well to $350 to really hurt Sony (as they deserve.)

Nintendo wouldn't want their machine and the established next-gen system being the same cost as they want to appear to be the bargain deal steal.

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
It's so going to be like £130 over here, just watch
smile.gif

People are going to go OMFG £130 WOWOWOWOWOW!!111 Simply because that's under half the XBOX 360 price point and just below a third of the PS3 price. Infact, you can still get a Wii and a 360 for a PS3
tongue.gif

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I think the SNES and NES costed more then 200$ not sure though.

NES
- The console was released in two different packages: a full-featured $249 USD "Deluxe Set" which came packaged with the R.O.B., the NES Zapper, two game controllers, and two games (Duck Hunt, and Gyromite), and a scaled-down $199 "Action Set," which omitted the R.O.B. and Gyromite and included a Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt multicart.

SNES - On August 13, 1991, Nintendo released the Super Famicom in North America with a new redesigned case as the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. It initially sold for a price of $199 USD.

N64
- The Nintendo 64 cost $199 at launch in the United States.

GameCube - The GameCube was released on November 18, 2001 in North America at a price of $199 USD.

Long story short, we can expect the Nintendo Wii to be released at a price point of $199 USD. And for Canadian gamers, if the DS Lite is anything to judge by, then Nintendo has taken into consideration the rising value of the Canadian dollar. In which case we should see the Wii retail for around $225 - $230 Canadian (That is, if the US price is indeed $199).
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.