Gaming Wii Strap Recalled, Replaced for Free

Sc4rFac3d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I knew it was just a matter of time before they got replaced, the strap in that video of the guy smashing it against the wall looked like cheap stuff.

I really want a Wii now.
frown.gif

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They aren't issuing a recall, you just have the option to swap it for a better version.
But they are recalling 200,000 AC adapters for its DS and DS Lite consoles in Japan.

sketch143

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
“As of Monday, anyone who has any problems or concerns about the integrity of their Wii Remote wrist straps can call Nintendo Customer Services for a replacement strap. This is not a product recall. The current wrist strap is fine - it has passed all safely standards and does the job. This is simply a precaution because we are aware of the concerns over their safety. All new Wii Remotes and Wii consoles will ship with the new, thicker wrist strap. Even though the original straps are perfectly adequate for normal play, we can’t control the exuberance of players.” - Nintendo representative

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
QUOTE said:
Eurogamer
15 Dec '06
Weekly newsletter

www.eurogamer.net

Nintendo's decision to offer free replacements for anybody hacked off with the Wiimote strap is bound to generate some negative press. The Associated Press has already called it a "recall".

But it isn't that really. After all, for every Wiihaveaproblem.com there are dozens of Wii owners scratching their heads and wondering out loud what's so difficult about not lobbing the remote across the room.

The truth is that the strap is largely sufficient, but that it does fail in extreme cases. I've just done some extremely scientific tests, where I tried to break my own strap by flapping my hands girlishly at a mountain of pillows. I couldn't manage it - although that may just be because I'm a limp-wristed weakling.

So I probably won't be bothering, even though it's free. But I am quite impressed that the option's there. It's easy to knock it, but here's a games company that's going beyond owning up to a problem - something that Microsoft took a year to do about its early batch of crash-happy Xbox 360 consoles - and is simply unhappy that its consumers have any problems at all, and wants to solve them.

It's admirable, is what it is. And it's things like this that contribute to that view of a mythical "Nintendo difference", and engender a different sort of compassion among fans to that seen amongst Xbox and PlayStation proponents.

The Kyoto company may have some bizarrely quirky execs (including one who, from my recent TV habits, seems to be moonlighting as the deck chief on Battlestar Galactica), and it may still give us the thin end of the love-stick here in Europe sometimes, but it's still looking out for us and being as friendly as possible.

And that's probably the reason, as much as any other, that the Internet generally has no problem with people getting all soppy about Nintendo, whereas anybody who doesn't walk around holding Xbox and PlayStation at equal heights in their brain is beaten to death by a horde of rampaging lunatics before they've had a chance to point out it's all just plastic toys that make computer games appear on the screen get off get off NOT THE FACE.

Have a nice weekend. Try not to break things.

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country

sketch143

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They're not recalling it. They've stated that the old straps have passed safety tests already. But if needed, you can order the new, stronger straps if you wanna feel more secure. You need not send back your old strap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: