Hardware Wii on Apple HD Monitor - Any idea's?

manicyaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I own a Apple 23" HD monitor and would like to send my Nintendo wii's Component output to the monitor.

The problem is that Apple have no inputs on the back of the monitor since the cable is shared with the power unit. So all i have to work with is the Male DVI cable that usually goes into the MAC.

Anyone know of a converter box or some kind of adapter i can use?

I found this:

SXGA-Converter-Box

but it does not support progressive scan ARGGG!

Its my own fault for buying a Apple monitor in the first place, but anyone have any ideas?
wacko.gif

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are vga adapters that will do progressive scan such as this one here (review), I don't know how others fare but if you read the review the one I linked, if the game does not have progressive scan then it will not work.

I'm in a similar'ish situation to you - I'm off to uni soon and won't be able to take a TV with me so I want to hook up my games consoles to my monitor. At the moment I have freeview pci card with s-video input and am using that to output my video onto my 20" ws monitor. It works but the picture is rubbish.

A VGA adapter is a possible solution but they're not cheap at £50-100 and I'm very uneducated on these devices - there are looooads out there to choose from. And I hear that some will simply stretch a picture to fill a screen and it won't be displayed in the correct aspect ratio. Anyone knowledgeable on these devices please shed some light on them for us!
happy.gif

The other option is a monitor with video inputs (component, hdmi, composite etc...) and suprisingly the range of monitors on the market which offer these inputs is extremely small. There's the LG 22LS4R 22" at £240, Benq FP241W/FP241WZ at £420 upwards. The Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24" at £420, or the LG L245WP 24" at £470.

As much as I'd love to get a 24" monitor the prices are very high - In the US the 2407WFP only costs $550 (£267)
mad.gif
. Play.com were accidently preselling the LG-22LS4R at £199, I'm not sure if they honoured it though. I hear the LG-22LS4R will available next month with DVI inplace of the HDMI, so maybe the retail price will come down a bit.

=/

manicyaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys but i need a DVI output. Like i said all i have to work with is the other end of the cable from the monitor which is a DVI (male) connection. Apple have made it very difficult!

manicyaz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for that!
biggrin.gif

Cool using the DVI-I Female to VGA Male cable and a VGA box could work i think?
Stupid question maybe, but can you use these cable to convert VGA to DVI, or can it only be used to convert DVI to VGA.

Just been searching around found something called a V-Box but no progressive scan
wacko.gif

VGA BOX FOR WII

kaito1000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My amp could do what you want Sony HT-DDW880 (you can get the 890 now (fairly cheap £230 on pixmania with speakers)
You'd connect the wii to amp and output to your screen via hdmi cable, using a hdmi to dvi plug.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.