Misc Wii Netflix drops internet connection...

w!!

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else been experiencing very frequent dropped connections when using netflix on the wii? This started happening like a week or two ago.

I almost never had this happen when using the disc, and very rarely when using the channel, but now it seems like I can barely watch a tv episode or get through a movie without at least 1-2 disconnects.

Most of the time, quitting and restarting netflix channel fixes it for a little while, sometimes waiting a few minutes and clicking "try again" will fix it. I have 2 wiis and they both do this now. I know it's not the router as I have a computer that I use and it doesn't drop connection through the router. I've also logged into the router and checked the attached devices and the wii isn't listed when this happens. When I restart netflix and it reconnects, it's listed again. I.E. The wii is dropping the wifi connection.

Is is possible that the wii is getting too hot from streaming movies and the wireless card inside the wii shuts down? It drops the connection even when I first start up the wii though, so I'm not sure this is the main reason. Also, like I said, I have 2 wiis and they both do this. One I just got a week ago and it's been doing it from the start.

Also, netflix no longer allows people to connect using the disc. I tried and got an error that the disc is no longer required and to recycle it.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any thoughts? I'm not using the two wiis or another netflix account simultaneously, and sometimes I'm only using the wii and nothing else on the router when it happens too, so I'm pretty sure it's not a bandwidth issue.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watch movies on my wii with wiimc, using the smb shares. I can watch a few movies with out dropping the connection. Maybe your wii is having a problem.

w!!

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking this might be a netflix only problem as I can play games online and such without a dropped connection too.

Another thought is maybe Netflix's servers are too overloaded and they reset device connections?

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Netflix works just fine for me here. My WiiMC works great too. I have used both over wifi or wired and not had an issue.

As far as the disc, yea they did away with it when the channel came out; I hated it too as using a usb channel forwarder I was able to make my own channel and save a few blocks of wii memory.

w!!

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm half curious if using netflix for long periods of time isn't frying/overheating the wii's wifi card or something... I've noticed drops in other games now, but they reconnect quickly. Never had this before using netflix... I used to use it for 4-6 hours at a time. Dunno... it's been a little better lately, but still can't watch a movie without numerous restarts of the channel. And once it starts happening, it happens more frequently.

Guess I'll have to wait to see if Ninty/Netflix get enough complaints.

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I use WiiMC and Netflix on my Wii all day, I mean it literally is playing about 12-18 hours a day and have not had an issue. That being said I don't think it is a program or design flaw. I have had my wii for ~3 years now and constantly used, by what you are experiencing, my Wii should be dead as a door nail.

I would look more into your network setup and perhaps try a wired connection to see if it is any better (to rule out a wifi issue), but that is just my two cents.

rolandpibb

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Change the channel in the router. Microwave and or other plugin-ables are causing interference. Same thing happened to me. Wii kept dropping the connection, changed the router channel (chose channel, instead of automatically assigning one), and has never happened again

bigredcape

such a noob, but one day....i'll be not-a-noob.
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have an ASUS RT N16 router, I am connected wireless on my Wii and two laptops. I never have a problem with my connection via my laptops but when I am on my wii watching netflix movies or with WiiMC I drop connection intermittenly and have to either go to the wii home screen and log back in or hard reset. bleh! Any help would greatly appreciated.

boondoklife

Trophies
Website
boondoklife.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
bigredcape said:
thanks i will try that. um....how do i do that??

That will depend on the router's firmware. I have a linksys and it is right under the wireless tab. I just came from a buddies house that was having this issue and switching it to B-Only mode fixed his issue, so give it a try.

If you have other devices that you want to work on a faster speed, look into getting a linksys WRT54G and flash dd-wrt onto it. Once that is on there you can change the wan port to be a regular switch and make it a 802.11b repeater. This will allow you to have a b-only network for picky devices like this.

zach12_2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this is your router. If so, you should be able to find the manual under the download tab on this page:
http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN16/#download

tstwitter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi W!!,

Did playing with your router fix the issue ? I used to have connection issues with my new N router, I found after setting up the Wifi mode in default (mixed mode so it gives you N and B) with AES encryption gave perfect connections for both my (newer) Wii's and (newer)XBOX 360.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: