cry.gif

Looks nice........$600 nice? HELLS NO!!
tongue.gif

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I like how the Wii isn't powerful enough to run Spore, but they are making a DS version...

I get the feeling that Spore DS (and PSP and PS2 if there are versions) will be more like the rubbish DS Sims 2 and not be much like the peoper one. Which is gay.
Yeah... the developers didn't make DS games as good as the PSP version of the games... just look at The Sims 2, STAR WARS: Lethal Alliance, Need For Speeds, etc.
dry.gif

moloko23

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
i'd think gamecube graphics is ok until i saw this,

little big planet

its so.....beautifulÂ
cry.gif

WOW! That sgame looks awesome!

The Maxis guy is just a hater, I was actually looking foreward to Spore on the Wii but oh well. I'll have to play it on my PC most probably, I don't really mind. As for Wii specs, you don't like em' thats your problem, I am very pleased with the experiences I have had so far with my Wii. Zelda: TP is a piece of art, so he can shut his trap.

directive0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys, not all of what he's saying there is wrong. Its obvious he's a hater, but you can't just discount everything he's saying. Nintendo is off to a great start, and yes there is enough power in the Wii for alot of great content, but there are some SEVERE limitations to this console aswell and to ignore that wouldn't be fair to ourselves. Sad but true.

GameGeezer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think this guys comments are self serving. Just because his art (games) requires more graphics and cpu power does not mean that art formatted to fit on a less powerful platform is any less pleasing or worthy or playable. I think Nintendo has done well with the ds and the wii by producing an affordable solution with games that focus on the end user and their game experience as opposed to other manufacturers who are focusing on the level of technology and the resolution of graphics.

Technology will continue to improve. Todays art is tomorrows crap if you look at things from this guys standpoint. CPU and graphics power will probably improve 10 fold or more in the next ten years but any advance in technology will not necessarily produce games that are any more playable at the user end. I think the wii is teaching the big boys a few lessons and we will see the benefits of these lessons in future versions of their consoles.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have to have my say here. Ive owned every nintendo console, have a DS lite which i love to bits, but i admit, i wont be buying a Wii because its too underpowered. Apart from the controller, there is nothing that is any different to the gamecube. Now the gamecube was a brilliant piece of kit, but time moves on, graphics get better. If the Wii came out wth graphics that took a backwards step to the N64 or even SNES era, what would all the people who say graphics and power dont matter think then.

At the end of the day, with all the technology around and for the price, there is no denying the fact nintendo could have put alot more power in the system. I mean a 360 CORE in the UK is only 50 odd quid more, but look at the power behind that? Im sorry, but it is underpowered, and I believe that novelty aside, they have dropped a bollock with this console. I dont think youll notice in the first 12 months or so, but as people sit up and take notice when developers get the real hang of 360 and PS3, AND the prices of these consoles lowers, youll see a big shift over to the true next gen.

trepid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't care so much about the graphics but if what he's saying about ai is true, just imagine an advanced application of the case based response system (the right term?) where you can actually have conversations with the ai instead of selecting one of 4 options out of a list of responses.

Though I don't think you're gonna see anybody developing things like that on the ps3 either. More like the ai can smell you if your upwind of them.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to have my say here. Ive owned every nintendo console, have a DS lite which i love to bits, but i admit, i wont be buying a Wii because its too underpowered. Apart from the controller, there is nothing that is any different to the gamecube. Now the gamecube was a brilliant piece of kit, but time moves on, graphics get better. If the Wii came out wth graphics that took a backwards step to the N64 or even SNES era, what would all the people who say graphics and power dont matter think then.

At the end of the day, with all the technology around and for the price, there is no denying the fact nintendo could have put alot more power in the system. I mean a 360 CORE in the UK is only 50 odd quid more, but look at the power behind that? Im sorry, but it is underpowered, and I believe that novelty aside, they have dropped a bollock with this console. I dont think youll notice in the first 12 months or so, but as people sit up and take notice when developers get the real hang of 360 and PS3, AND the prices of these consoles lowers, youll see a big shift over to the true next gen.
I've actually seen the 360 core unit in Currys for £180! I know Microsoft loses a lot of cash per system though but will probably make it back from the overpriced games and their nice Live stuff. I'm sure Nintendo makes a lot off the Wii, not just the system but in games, VC games and all that. Even if the Wii comes 3rd in this race Nintendo will probably make about the same amount of cash as the others...perhaps...I dunno.

I still think the Wii is overpriced for what it is though but meh.

daps83777

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
games that are art forms off the top of my head, ico, shadow of the colossus, and okami.

those are all ps2 games that got huge reviews and everyone still agrees with those reviews. so if the PS2 can do games that are like art, maybe the next gen nintendo console thats more powerful than a PS2 can do them, do you think?

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
games that are art forms off the top of my head, ico, shadow of the colossus, and okami.

those are all ps2 games that got huge reviews and everyone still agrees with those reviews. so if the PS2 can do games that are like art, maybe the next gen nintendo console thats more powerful than a PS2 can do them, do you think?
Already does Super Paper Mario is art to me, and Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes and Sadness. Not only that but so does the DS, GC, N64, SNES and so on.

khameleon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I hate is that Wii makes you buy the nunchuk controller seperate, so once you buy an extra controller its too high priced for whats inside the system. Oh yea need new batteries every week.... gotta buy the 3rd party rechargeable battery thing, why cant they come with recharge like 360 and PS3.

Also, they are gonna only allow you to use nintendo brand keyboard, microphones and any other accessories, so you will end up paying more for wii than a 360 or PS3.

Wii browser will cost money soon... why?!?!?!? all browsers are free on every PC or console ever made. Nintendo is greedy in many ways if you think about it(smart business men I guess).

PS3 is the highest base price, but you can use your old PC mouse, keyboard, headset, hard drives, cameras, etc. They don't force you to buy new ones like nintendo and microsoft do. Also their online play is free and so is Home which will be insane.

Xbox360 is same price as a PS3 once you pay for Live and a headset. Also, if you want HD-DVD or a bigger HDD later its gonna make it way more than a PS3 then since you have to buy overpriced microsoft xbox brand addons only.

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, Murphy's law states the if you try to please everyone, nobody will like it.

So, kudos to Nintendo for making the ballsy move of going for a new form of interaction with a lower price tag over brute force of graphics processing. It's not going to please everybody, and that's okay. As far as business moves go, this one gets a gold star.

And yes. You're going to get asshats who say "The Wii sucks! It can't run our game because it doesn't have the processing power to do the 40 kajillion calculations per second that our game needs!", and that's okay. The Wii isn't for everybody.

And, as an aside, I'm sick of people trying to make it seem like this quote came from Will Wright himself. Saying that this opinion comes from "the guy who is making Spore" is terribly misleading.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
what LSD is this guy on?!

'fun' > 'art' to me. a beautiful 1080p game with amazing AI and physics doesn't mean jack shit unless there is a (fun) reason to play.

there is no other company that designs better games then nintendo. with all the functions, characters and game designs nintendo has invented i would cal them more 'artistic' than any other company out there.

teh_raf3

Whatever suits you
Trophies
Website
users.pandora.be
XP
Country
Belgium
One thing I hate is that Wii makes you buy the nunchuk controller seperate, so once you buy an extra controller its too high priced for whats inside the system. Oh yea need new batteries every week.... gotta buy the 3rd party rechargeable battery thing, why cant they come with recharge like 360 and PS3.

Also, they are gonna only allow you to use nintendo brand keyboard, microphones and any other accessories, so you will end up paying more for wii than a 360 or PS3.

Wii browser will cost money soon... why?!?!?!? all browsers are free on every PC or console ever made. Nintendo is greedy in many ways if you think about it(smart business men I guess).

PS3 is the highest base price, but you can use your old PC mouse, keyboard, headset, hard drives, cameras, etc. They don't force you to buy new ones like nintendo and microsoft do. Also their online play is free and so is Home which will be insane.

Xbox360 is same price as a PS3 once you pay for Live and a headset. Also, if you want HD-DVD or a bigger HDD later its gonna make it way more than a PS3 then since you have to buy overpriced microsoft xbox brand addons only.

The technology used to build the controllers is expensive, hence the high price. The Wii browser is a one-time fee and I think that Opera gets most of it, so blame them.

And online play is also free on the Wii, they are yet to release their first online capable game (Pokémon Battle Revolution iirc) and then other devs will probably get the libraries and all the technical stuff to make their titles work online.

Home on PS3 looks awesome though.

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happened to developers going beyond the Specs of the console? I remember people use to always try to push consoles to the limit, and yet it seems only Capcom with No More Heroes are even remotely trying.

Developers should treat the Wii's limitations as a challenge but nah too lazy.

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what LSD is this guy on?!

'fun' > 'art' to me. a beautiful 1080p game with amazing AI and physics doesn't mean jack shit unless there is a (fun) reason to play.

There's also a couple of misconceptions that seem to be going around. The first is that the Wii is incapable of having excellent graphics. This is not true. Some of the most beautiful games ever made have been on the last generation of systems, and the Wii is more "powerful" than any of them. Hell, I've heard from the reviews that God of War 2 looks better than most of the PS3 launch titles.

The other misconception is that the PS3 is unable of having original or engaging gameplay. Their interface is totally last generation, so it's going to be more difficult for them to make a game full of novelty, which might be a good thing, or a bad thing depending on how you look at it.

This isn't "gameplay vs graphics" type thing. Both systems are more than capable of both to varying degrees.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass