Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not my words, but the guy who is making Spore, stole this from IGN:

During a session at GDC this morning titled 'Burning Mad - Game Publishers Rant,' time was taken about half way through to allow developers a chance to spew their own rants. One speaker, Chris Hecker, currently working on Spore at Maxis, took the opportunity to call out Nintendo for not taken games seriously.

"The Wii is a piece of shit!" Hecker began his talk, which was called "Fear of a Wii Planet." He blasted a few bars of Public Enemy to set the tone. Hecker said the Wii is nothing more than two GameCubes stuck together with duct tape, and that the console isn't powerful enough to provide the next-gen experience he has been waiting for.

Although he stated the system is "severely underpowered," Hecker noted that he wasn't simply referring to the Wii's graphical capabilities. He wants to spend a console's CPU making games more intelligent, and he has found the Wii doesn't have the power to process things like complicated AI.

Hecker also took Nintendo to task for not taking games seriously enough. "It's not clear to me that Nintendo gives a shit about games as an art form," he said. To illustrate his point, he searched for references to games as art on all three console manufacturers web sites. While he found numerous such references on both the official PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sites, Wii.com had none at all. He then shared quotes from executives at Sony and Microsoft talking about games as a serious artistic medium, and then a quote from a Nintendo executive saying the company only wanted to make "fun" games.

Hecker ended his spirited rant with two demands for Nintendo: First, recognize and push games as serious art. And two, "make a console that doesn't suck ass."

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i dunno, he has a point. there are a lot of things that designers can't do with the wii in regards to physics and AI. Plus, the gimmicky controller hasn't done anything great... yet. I hope it comes into its own like the DS did.

the wii may be popular, but so is wal-mart and mcDonalds. As far as power goes, it's not untrue to call the wii a piece of shit.

fli_guy84

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Meh, he doesn't know Nintendo is making a new console called the Wii Lite!

It has 128 unified shader unit and 7.1 surround sound. Not to forget, touch sensitive motion sensing controller
biggrin.gif

WarmWoollySheep

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What a megalomaniac.

Games as art? This guy is no artist. He only wants to be different for the sake of being different. Look at his game company:

http://www.d6.com/d6.htm

QUOTE said:
"We strive to design cutting-edge games that are different."

An artist would have some ideal to strive for, something he believes HAS to be made and he'll starve to make it, not just a desire to be "different".

QUOTE"Instead of following the latest trend or genre, our game designs are unique and resist categorization."

These are not words of an artist, this man is a contrarian. Why does he want to make games that are different? Because everyone is making games that are the same. Why does he hate the Wii? Because everyone loves it.

Athlon-pv

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basicly this guy is a poor developer, he doesnt have to make games on the Wii if his game is that good it can turn PS3/Xbox360 into a system seller , guess what , he can never do that in his lifetime
smile.gif

Fusion Master

WOW Addict :0
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
We should feel sorry for him why? He is simply commenting on the aspects of the Wii which prevent numerous innovations they are trying to bring in to next generation games. I will admit I don't like Wii, but if it had some more serious, realistic franchises and better graphics, it would be like, the greatest thing ever :0

Good Realistic Games + Motion Control + Good Graphics, sounds like the combination of the most unpopular (at the moment) console, the PS3.
tongue.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest I would've paid more for the Wii if it matched the 360's abilitys, and so would lots of others. It would've had the upper hand on the others and would've had more games and Nintendo would've killed the opposition and YES it would've been better as it would add atmostphere and all that but it doesnt have the power and thats the way it is so accept it or get a PS3/360.

I'm happy with Zelda, Wario and Wii Sports and cant wait for Super Paper Mario, Metroid 3, Res Evil and Mario Galaxy and even if it was just a souped up GC I'd still pay £210 for it if it only played Zelda TP 'cos I bloody love it and cant go back with the regular controller.

And as for AI, I'm not that fussed, maybe its because I'm a retro gamer I I'm happy with what could be done with GC/PS2/Xbox and that can stay that way, there is such thing as too much realism.

As for Nintendo games not giving a shit about art, play Zelda and other games you can feel the love with those games, the attention to detail AND the art.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
ah screw it, Im always up for a discussion of the wii
tongue.gif

honestly, I'm more than happy with gamecube level graphics, let alone double it.
I'd like to say I just don't know why people cant be happy with the Wii's specs, but sadly, I do.
its just very disappointing that developers in the industry are showcasing the ignorant rage most fanboys express

Neko

Been a while.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's all nintendos fault !
If they combined the Wiimote and such with an over double so powerfull cpu and an r600 or better ATi Chip noone would be angry because the performence is to low
frown.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'd think gamecube graphics is ok until i saw this,

little big planet

its so.....beautifulÂ
cry.gif
Wow!
wub.gif
Not only does that look amazing, but it looks to be the most fun game you can have! Just been reading up on it, and saw some other vids, does sound and look very promising that is the sort of game Nintendo should be doing.

:'( I yearn for a PS3 game now.
dry.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So far everyone thats played on my wii as really liked it. My friend who has not played or been intrested in games since the Amiga also enjoyed playing it. The wii isn't about good graphics but how you interact with the games using the wii controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
    @Xdqwerty It's still on Play Store.
    for free
    Install before they remove it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd like to see a DS emulator that allows casting top screen to TV then use bottom for the touch screen stuff
    +1
    I used a vertical touch 22" monitor for playing some 3DS games through Citra.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't be that far off from it not like ds requires super hardware
    @K3Nv2 I did that using Citra for 3DS games. Bottom screen was my smartphone. Until I got the touch screen.
  • SwordShielder @ SwordShielder:
    Use a TV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Citra allows it already?
    Yes.
    Ken I have that sort of set up on Drastic on Pi for games that don't require touch
    Looks nice too
    Any TV with your PC connected with Citra and any smartphone to use as a screen using a free play store app.
    +1
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Any TV with your PC connected with Citra and any smartphone to use as a screen using a free play... +1