Hacking Wii + GC using Configurable USB Loader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but anyway, I put the game "Star Wars - Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast.iso" in the "usb:\games" folder, started up the Configurable USB Loader channel, but I couldnt find the game in therethanks

You didn't follow the instructions in the guide. During the use of DiscEx, for example, a folder with the ISO inside is outputted that you put into the usb:/games folder, not the ISO itself.

does the game cover art have the "Wii" logo in the right top corner? is it given the same R#### or S#### numbering as the Wii Games?
It has a GameCube logo because it's a GameCube game. It has a similar numbering system. I've only ever downloaded GameCube covers from within CFG though.

Tenzen

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
well, actually it says:

1. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
My games are already in ISO format

2. If you want to use DiscEX.....

and you also mentioned earlier that compression is optional.. so it doesnt actually say anywhere in the instructions that you MUST use another program to get your games into the right place

I dont really need Compression..

cant I just put each ISO in its own folder and name it anything I want? would that work?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, actually it says:

1. You'll need the gamecube games in iso or gcm format.
My games are already in ISO format

2. If you want to use DiscEX.....

and you also mentioned earlier that compression is optional.. so it doesnt actually say anywhere in the instructions that you MUST use another program to get your games into the right place

I dont really need Compression..

cant I just put each ISO in its own folder and name it anything I want? would that work?

You need to name the folders the alpha numeric code attributed to the backup, similar to the way Wii Backup Manager does it with Wii backups.

Tenzen

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
You didn't follow the instructions in the guide. During the use of DiscEx, for example, a folder with the ISO inside is outputted that you put into the usb:/games folder, not the ISO itself.
any idea why diskex program has been rated as "deprecated"?

when DL form Google Code, it says the file has been Deprecated, that takes a specific action by someone who wants to say that the program is no longer recommended, usually because something else is replacing it, or its become obsolete

any idea what the new recommended thing is?

thanks

bluedragon700

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have had my wii hacked for quite a while now/3 years. I used to play on my hdd with an enclosure on it but that broke so started playing on some spare usbs i have, later on i bought myself another hdd enclosure using the same hard drive but for some reason CFG and Usb loader gx dont read it, wiiflow happens to read it but games wont boot, gives black screen, and my wad manager, pimp my wii gives me an error when i try to install wads, can not mount usb mass storage device, ERROR! (ret = -2), something like that. tried both fat32 format and wbfs, i have the latest d2x ios 56 and 57, please help!

Tenzen

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
what do you mean "used to use HDD but now you use USB"? USB is for HDDs.. and you cant use HDDs without USB

what kind of HDD are you running? 3.5"?

Do you have it plugged into the Right USB Slot, closest to the edge?

You may want to try a new case...

2.5" work best, and maybe even better yet are dedicated Built-in 2.5" HDDs from Manufacturers like Toshiba, Hitachi, WD etc.. that have their own cases custom built and are not meant to be removed or swapped out.

I wonder if Solid State Drives would work...

have you done a complete low-level format on the drive & checked it for errors?

One other thing you can try is to see if the USB on the board is loose or has any problems..

Outside of that, i dont know if there are any Wii USB Drivers or anything you could somehow update..

maybe a system update might help, or rolling back to a previous update maybe?

Tenzen

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
by usb i mean flash drives, yes it is plugged in on the right one, and i only have a 3.5 ide hard drive, any othersolutions? i am running 4.3u
How did you fill your USB Flash Drives and the 3.5?

Did you transfer them via Wii Backup Manager or just drag & Drop them? be sure you used the backup manager

You can also make sure your Computer is set to view hidden files & folders and also to view protected System files & folders.. in Folder Options.

then check to see if you see a recycle bin on it, right-click it & check the size of it.

empty your system recycle bin and see if the size of your usb drive's recycle bin is more than 1kb..

then click, i think its the middle tab or general in properties, and scroll down & find your USB drive, and select "Dont move files to the recycle bin" & click Apply

then delete the recycle bin from the external storage device

also be sure your drives arent set to "lock /read only"

and check that there are no other hidden files in your drive, or any other files you dont recognize or need

then use WiiBackup Manager to transfer all your WBFS files to your Computer, then copy & Paste all the other files over to your computer as well... then do a low-level format, or at least a complete reformat, then use WiiBackup Manager to transfer all your wbfs files back to your freshly formatted FAT32 drive... then paste all of your other files back into the drive with the original file structure

I'd also be sure everything is transferred over in wbfs and not iso

Tenzen

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
you could also try a new USB cable from the external HDD to the wii, or a different pen drive

bluedragon700

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
for the hdd and the flash drive i used wii backup manager formatted both to wbfs, they both have the same settings except for cluster size if that matters, i think the only problem is that the hdd is not mounting to the wii, but using wiiflow it does some how but when loading backups i get a black screen, i honestly have no clue what to do, everything on the flash drive works!

bluedragon700

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
for the hdd and the flash drive i used wii backup manager formatted both to wbfs, they both have the same settings except for cluster size if that matters, i think the only problem is that the hdd is not mounting to the wii, but using wiiflow it does some how but when loading backups i get a black screen, i honestly have no clue what to do, everything on the flash drive works!

Tenzen

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
what do you mean "everything on the flash drive works"?

It doesnt seem to me that it does

are you saying the ONLY problem you have is the 3.5 doesnt work, but your little thumbdrive works perfectly?

why not just use thumb drives then?

anyway, i gave u my suggestions for 1. a 2.5" silent drive, 2. a clean reformat, 3. reformat to a single partition FAT32, 4. checking hidden items, and 5. New Cables.. outside of that I have no idea since i dont use any of your configuration at all.

You could try playing some of your games on an SD Card, just have to transfer the games you want to play to your SD card every time before you want to play them

or you can burn the games to ISO disks and use backup Disks instead of a USB device

Maybe you could try making a new topic, in a new thread, since people who might be able to help you with that problem would likely not come into this Gamecube / CFG thread, since its quite unrelated to your problem

A new thread would give you a much better chance at getting the help you need

bluedragon700

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have 3 usb flash drives that play games perfectly and 1 micro sd card to usb adapter, i want to use the hdd so i can have a higher quantity of backups to play, i would buy another hard drive if i had the the spare cash and tried all of your suggestions, another person told me to try ntfs format as it works the best. otherwise thanks for your support and could you briefly explain how to start a new thread? thanks again!

Tenzen

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I guess another thing you could try is to put all of your apps and other folders off of your HDD and onto an SD card, and use the HDD only for WBFS & Covers, Themes, etc.. or if you are alsready using SD, maybe try putting it all on the HDD

bluedragon700

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
all my wii content is in my sd card, my flash drive only stores games even the themes and covers are in the sd card, what would happen if i put all my content in a flash drive?

Tenzen

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
well, just be sure when you are reformatting from one to the other, that you are doing a complete reformat of the entire drive, and re-partitioning it as well if u need most of it wbfs formatted

maybe you could also try CFG instead of WiiFlow, or perhaps your Loader needs to be reinstalled

Why dont you try to copy all the files exactly from your USB Thumbdrive over to your HDD, exactly.

If its exactly copied over, everything, and it doesnt work on your HDD, its likely a Case, Cable, or virus/formatting issue

-----------
for new thread, be sure you allow gbatemp.net through noscript, then go to http://gbatemp.net/forums/wii-hacking.108/ and click "Post New Thread" in the top right-hand corner

_acid_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have 3 usb flash drives that play games perfectly and 1 micro sd card to usb adapter, i want to use the hdd so i can have a higher quantity of backups to play, i would buy another hard drive if i had the the spare cash and tried all of your suggestions, another person told me to try ntfs format as it works the best. otherwise thanks for your support and could you briefly explain how to start a new thread? thanks again!

to post a new thread, the new thread button is in the top right corner and also the bottom right corner of the page on the thread list.

one other reason that your hdd aint working might be because it's not compatibility with your wii. there is a compatibility list in gbatemp for hdd here: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

bluedragon700

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have tried 3 different launchers. cgf, gx and wii flow. all files in hdd and flash drives are exactly the same, could the problem be the wii? would new ios's fix this?

Tenzen

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
all my wii content is in my sd card, my flash drive only stores games even the themes and covers are in the sd card, what would happen if i put all my content in a flash drive?
well, if its all on your SD card and works fine on your thumb drive, just be sure there are no duplicates on your HDD...

the problem must be in the way your HDD differs from your Thumbdrive.. but, perhaps, it might help your HDD to run everything from HDD with no SD card in the machine, since then it would require good reads to work, and at least you'd know if it was reading up to that point correctly.. so if nothing else, its a good trouble shooting method

load everything on your HDD and see if you can even see any of your WADs in Homebrew

i suppose your entire drive is WBFS? you'll need a partition in FAT32 for your System files & covers etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn