Hacking Wii & Game Cube Saves

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since wiisave.com is gone the way of the dodo bird, what other places are there to look for wii save files? I know gamefaqs.com has some up, but they don't post saves for games that you would need a hacked Wii for (Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, etc.)

Second question, I've read you can inject/import GameCube .gci files via Dolphin into a format that nintendont can use/read. I'm not having any luck figuring it out. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since wiisave.com is gone the way of the dodo bird, what other places are there to look for wii save files? I know gamefaqs.com has some up, but they don't post saves for games that you would need a hacked Wii for (Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, etc.)

Second question, I've read you can inject/import GameCube .gci files via Dolphin into a format that nintendont can use/read. I'm not having any luck figuring it out. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

You can inject/import .gci files with Dolphin using this method:
1: Check Memcard Emulation in Nintendont.
2: Run the game at least once to create a blank save file.
3: In Dolphin, click "Tools->Memcard Manager (GC)"
4: Click the left browse button.
5: Select "SD:\saves\gameid.raw".
6: Click "<- Import GCI".
7: Select your GCI save..
8: Close Dolphin.
9: Run the game using Nintendont. It should now recognize your imported GCI save!

gamecaptor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Mr. Mysterio,

thanks you so much for replying!

I looked at my Nintendont settings (via USB Loader GX) and I currently have Memory Card Emulation set to individual. From reading the FAQ on nintendont it is what they recommended.

That said I do not have a saves folder on my SD card. There is a savegames folder with sub folders like 000100014c554c5a but I'm thinking those are for WiiWare/VC titles?

I've looked all over my SD card and I do not see any .raw or .gcp files, which is odd since my GameCube games are saving?

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using the latest version of Nintendont? If you are, then set "Memcard Emulation" to "On" and "Memcard Multi" to On. Now run the game and create a new save file. The SD should look like this:
SD:\saves\GMSE.raw
(GMSE will be whatever you game's ID is.)

gamecaptor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I just figured it out. It made a 'saves' folder on my USB Hard Drive (where the ISOs load from). I see the xxxx.raw files there. Is there anyway to redirect that back to the SD card?

As for your original question, I do believe it's the latest build of Nintendont, 3.325.

I use Nintendont in USB Loader GX. Currently using R1239 of that.

As for the settings here is how mine is setup. Please let me know if I should make any changes:
Auto Boot: ON
Settings File: No Change
Video Deflicker: OFF
Memory Card Emulation: Individual
Memory Card Block Size: 251
USB-HID Controller: OFF
GameCube Controller: 4
Native Controller: OFF
WiiU Widescreen: ON
LED Activity: OFF
OSReport: OFF
Log to file: OFF

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game saves are always stored to the device your games are stored on. You cannot change this.

The community keeps loads to public saves that can be downloaded from the save game sharing thread.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I just figured it out. It made a 'saves' folder on my USB Hard Drive (where the ISOs load from). I see the xxxx.raw files there. Is there anyway to redirect that back to the SD card?

As for your original question, I do believe it's the latest build of Nintendont, 3.325.

I use Nintendont in USB Loader GX. Currently using R1239 of that.

As for the settings here is how mine is setup. Please let me know if I should make any changes:
Auto Boot: ON
Settings File: No Change
Video Deflicker: OFF
Memory Card Emulation: Individual
Memory Card Block Size: 251
USB-HID Controller: OFF
GameCube Controller: 4
Native Controller: OFF
WiiU Widescreen: ON
LED Activity: OFF
OSReport: OFF
Log to file: OFF

If those are your settings, then one of us has an old version of Nintendont...
You can find the newest version here. You don't NEED to use the newest version, it just would make it easier for people to give you advice.

Also, if you REALLY want to for the saves folder to be on the SD card and the games on the USB, I could make you a mod of Nintendont that does that.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The saves are stored on the same partition than the game.
nintendont mounts only one partition at a time, either SD or USB.
all paths are used without the partition information, for example "/saves/GZLP.raw" or "/games/zelda/game.iso"
you can't specify "sd:/saves" and "usb:/games".

the save is always read/written on the active partition.
If you want a way to store saves on SD card, it would require a moddification of the launcher to check if a save file is present on SD and copy it from SD to USB, launch the game on USB, then when you return to the loader it will copy back the new save from USB to SD.
Quite complicated if the user shutdown the console instead of returning to loader etc.
I thought multiple time of a way to unify the save path for nintendont, but it's not practical and could be hard to manage from the loader's point of view. (Like I said, if the user don't return to the loader, the save will not be put back to the unified path)

Mysterio:
the setting he listed are the one from USBLoaderGX, not nintendont.
USBLoaderGX sends the settings to nintendont correctly based on the detected nintendont version. so there are different settings that the user can select.
His global settings are correctly chosen, nothing is wrong in the choice he made.

gamecaptor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you Mr. Mysterio for chiming in and the offer to create a custom build of Nintendont. I would never ask you to do that just for me, but a very generous offer.

Cyan, always nice to hear from you. You're everywhere man!

Now that I understand the ins-and-outs of Nintendont I have everything under control.

Again, thank you all for the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse