Hacking Wii backup Manager for Windows

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
I've got a couple of little projects I need to finish up before I can get these problems fixed etc. but they shouldn't take too long..

@Snowmanne

Try using "Tools->WBFS->Fix Free Block Table". That'll check all the blocks that are actually used by your games and free up any that are marked incorrectly, hence freeing up the space. If no unused blocks are found, you could use Wiimm's tools to check and fix the filesystem.

Any idea why the game kept failing to transfer?

@DGenerateKane

I must've messed something up there, I'll check it out. I try to test any changes as much as possible, but obviously I missed it.

@bulinho

Again, something I haven't tested for a while. I'll fix it ASAP.

Snowmanne

Trophies
Website
Snowmanne.DeviantArt.com
XP
Country
United States
Try using "Tools->WBFS->Fix Free Block Table". That'll check all the blocks that are actually used by your games and free up any that are marked incorrectly, hence freeing up the space. If no unused blocks are found, you could use Wiimm's tools to check and fix the filesystem.

Any idea why the game kept failing to transfer?
After I restarted my computer and changed the temp folder location it transfered successfully and I did the fix free block table and the remove invalid items but nothing and I did also try wwt but it took me awhile to figure out to and do a repair which fixed 15 invalid blocks but didn't change the space of my drive. Other games also failed to transfer but after many tries they finaly transfered and I don't know why it happened.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just use the default setting; the physical sector size.
The other options were supposed to be to allow more than 500 games on WBFS drives, but since it's never been implemented in a cIOS, they're pretty much useless.
The "Sector size" above the drop down box should be changed to "Block size" to save this confusion.
I think it's implemented. On USBloaderGX, the "virtual sector size" is already used to store up to 1012 games on a 512b sector sized HDD. (sector size * 2 - 12)

I'm surprised nobody asked it yet:
Could you add back the options to use Gamecube games?
Dios Mios Lite is now working on Real Nand and is reading gamecube game data directly from SD:/games/GAMEID6/
(I also thought it was compatible with .iso directly, but I don't find this mentioned anywhere anymore).

Post Loader 3 can also transfer the Gamecube games from USB to SD directly using the wii, before booting the transfered game from SD.

There are two different programs the users can use:

•This will convert the iso into file/folder format:
"DiscEX.exe game.iso". this will extract the iso. it won't compress the game at all.
"DiscEX.exe -c game.iso". This is the best way for pretty much all games, it will also compress the game.
"DiscEX.exe -c -a game.iso". This will convert, compress and 32kb align it. (usually not needed)

•Users can also use fstfix to compress the iso:
"fstfix game.iso t". This will only compress the iso.
The fstfix'ed compressed game can be extracted with DiscEX after that.

I don't know if it's better to still use the programs one by one, or if you can include them in WBM.
If it's too much work to add these options, then don't do it.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
@icebrg5

I can't promise it'll be as soon as you'd like, but it's on the todo list..

@Cyan

I see in the USBloaderGX change log that you can use a 4K sector size, but I haven't seen changes in cIOSs that would allow the games to actually be played if this is a virtual sector size. libWBFS inside the cIOS needs to support it too. If it's been implemented in d2x, I can't see it in the change log. I had a quick look at the d2x source and can't see anything like I implement to get CFG working, so maybe they did something totally different. I'll try to test it to see it it does fully work.

Since d2x is open source, there's a lot more chance of getting the needed changes added, if they haven't already. I could even provide the patches myself.. It was supposed to be included in Rev 22 of Waninkoko's cIOS, but that never happened. :)

The gamecube support was almost finished, but I couldn't find the time/motivation to figure out the little problem I had. Since they can be used now, it definitely gives it a higher priority. If I was going to add an external program for gamecube games, I'd use Wiimm's tools because I could then use it for loads of other things that WBM can't do too.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for your reply.
I never tried the double-sector size block myself, but I think USBloaderGX allows formating HDD using this.

It's in the changelog for USBLoaderGX v2.1
* Added support for Wiimms virtual sector sizes for WBFS to store more than 500 games.

But if no cIOS added it, then it's maybe not working.

davebaol

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@ fig2k4 & Cyan
Hard discs with 4k sector size are supported by d2x.
And afaik gx uses fraglist for wfbs partitions so it's not a problem on cios side if there are more than 500 games into the hdd.
However I never updated libwbfs so you're right, direct wbfs support for 500+ games is missing in the cios.
Feel free to contribute with a patch, fig2k4. :)
You can submit the patch on the d2x google project as a new issue or you can contact me on 1 of the following irc channels:
  • #wiiflow on abjects
  • #USBLoaderCFG on Qakenet
  • #cDI on abjects

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
libwbfs can handle other sector sizes for a long time. The only problem is to detect it and tell libwbfs it.
See my very old notes: http://gbatemp.net/topic/185428-inside-wbfs/#entry2326066

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Good news.

I got the virtual sector size working with d2x mostly just by pasting my old code changes into libWBFS. USBLoaderGX works fine and the old version 63 of CFG I compiled at the time still works with this too. I could've had this working over a year ago, given the opportunity. :)

I don't have a spare drive large enough to test over 500 games though. :s

Edit: Ah well, USBLoaderGX did have other changes that made this work already. Nice waste of time. :) If the changes are added to d2x anyway, it'll allow other loaders that don't use fraglist to use the virtual sector sizes.

sliver123

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i use cfg usb loader and i have rune factory tides of destiny usa ntsc 4.37 and when i use bakcup manager to transfer it becomes 2.22gb is it bad ? can someone explain please ?

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use cfg usb loader and i have rune factory tides of destiny usa ntsc 4.37 and when i use bakcup manager to transfer it becomes 2.22gb is it bad ? can someone explain please ?
I'll add some details, because I went through that too:
Wii games contain varying amounts of garbage data to fill up the whole discs. As I understand it, this is done so that the useful game data resides in the parts of the disc most readily accessible by the laser. When scrubbing the disc, WBM will get read of this unnecessary data.
Some discs have enough game data to almost fill up a dual layer disc (like Metroid Prime Trilogy) and some have less than 100MB (Worms Battle Islands takes up 40MB only). Update partitions are usually around 150MB and you can choose to get rid of those as well when you create your disc image using WBM. That partition contains updates to the Wii Sytem files.

Reactions: 1 person

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you folks know if there a tool that will verify the SHA-1 hash of Wiiware/VC games?
According to wiibrew, a title's TMD contains an SHA-1 hash of the contents, so I imagine it would be possible to run a hash check on a WAD and compare it to that checksum.

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
@sliver123
It'll function normally.

If you want to verify the game, to put your mind at ease, tick the box next to the game and go to "Tools->SHA-1 hash->Verify selected". Once the test is complete, you'll know if the game is fully intact. If there's any problems, the progress panel will stay visible, with the entry in red. Look at the log tab for more info.

@themanuel
I've no idea, hopefully someone else does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning