wifi adapters for 3ds xl

Discussion in '3DS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by gokulthegr8, Dec 3, 2012.

Dec 3, 2012
    • Newcomer

gokulthegr8 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    my internet connection is wpa..!! my brother is not letting me switch to wep..which the ds supports..is there any way i can play ds games online with wpa connection?..i heard a nintendo wifi adapter can be used..!! but that is not available where i live..:( does local wifi adapter connect to the 3ds xl?..and will i be able to play ds games with tat?..

edit:local adapter like this one?..
    http://www.ebay.in/itm/TP-Link-TL-W...tDomain_203&hash=item20cdce430d#ht_4221wt_961
    Last edited by gokulthegr8, Dec 3, 2012. Reason: Forgot

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    DS games do not support WPA, period.

Those adapters there are for getting a wireless signal, not giving one out.
    Dunno' which devices will work for the DS, other than the official DS wifi adapter.
    • Newcomer

gokulthegr8 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    ohh..idk if this is a stupid question or not..but i ll ask it anywayz..if i connect a wifi adapter to my computer..while i hav a wifi modem already..will i be able to use wpa from modem normally..and wep for my 3ds via the adapter?..

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    The adapters are designed to get a signal from your modem/router, they do not make their own. While there are ways to get them to recycle your modem/router's signal back out, it often doesn't work, and many times it'll be limited to WPA and above anyways (as WEP has been broken for years)... so it depends on your computer model, and the kind/model of modem/router you have.
    • Newcomer

gokulthegr8 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    oh ok..i wonder if my wifi modem supports wep or not..hope it does..if so i can try to convince my bro..:(

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    Modems/routers tend to support WEP still, for compatibility with older devices.

However WEP is extremely easy to hack, which is why things use WPA or better now.
    • Newcomer

kaz_abdin New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    If your hesitant about switching your wifi encryption from WPA to WEP, you can try our one of these adapters. They are pretty cheap and I personally have one and is does work really well and has allowed me to trade pokemon over the GTS :) You'll have to reboot it a few times to get it working as sometimes it doesnt work. But when it works, the connection is solid :)

Chary GO FORTH, MY SHINIES~

Message Count:
    United States
    I had changed my encryption to WEP for my DS games. Beware that some computers may have trouble reconnecting to a new encryption of an old network. It worked for a while, but honestly, I had to change it. Even though my WEP Internet was password protected, my neighbor kept hacking me. Though I do miss the GTS and WiFi events in Pokemon...

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Message Count:
    United States
    Some systems are stupid and keep trying the old info if the connection has the same name. If you change the name/SSID of the connection, systems will correctly recognize that the encryption info changed.

But yeah WEP's really easy to hack. Like youtube shows you how to do it in five minutes.
    • Newcomer

gokulthegr8 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    hmm..yea i guess..but no one near ma house is hacker n all tat..!! they probably don even kno much abt internet lol..so tat shdn be a problem for me..the only problem is whether my modem supports wep or not..:/

Deltaechoe The Dopefish

Message Count:
    United States
    If you have an android phone, then just download FoxFi and use that to do some wifi tethering that doesn't require root permissions
    • Newcomer

gokulthegr8 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    uh..i dont understand what u said..and yea i hav android phone..can u tell me in detail about this?..

Chary GO FORTH, MY SHINIES~

Message Count:
    United States
    Would tethering actually change the encryption? Fox Fi states that it uses WPA2 encryption for its service.
    Last edited by Chary, Dec 4, 2012

Pluupy Woof?

Message Count:
    United States
    Basically, go to your Android phone and go to settings. Select the Wifi menu. In the Wifi menu, there are a list of options. Bluetooth, wifi, 3g, etc. Select the one that says mobile hotspot or portable hotspot. Before turning it on, select the settings and set what you want. Make sure the security is set to WEP (open) and not WPA (the one which uses a password). That way your DS can just find it fast and easy.

Be careful if you make a hotspot out of 3G, even if you have an unlimited data plan you need to be cautious cause cellphone service providers actually do have a limit, they just don't tell you. I don't think the DS sends and receives a lot of data, but still something to be cautious about.

If the hotspot doesn't work when running on your house's wifi, I think you need to speak with your brother to configure the router to allow that. He would probably need to open some ports to allow the DS to access the network. I'm no network technician, but this is just what i've learned. Most programs need ports open to do some things.
    • Newcomer

gokulthegr8 New Member

Message Count:
    India
    thanks for ur reply..:) but i am using wep in my router itself whenever i play ds games online..^_^

SPONSORED LINKS