Gaming Why Switch has no backwards compatibility (and other possibilities/workarounds)

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't really need it, but even if it's true that the Switch tablet has a touchscreen for convenience, you'd still need proper emulators. DraStic yet hasn't been RE'd to the point that anyone could port it to any other ARM device, if I'm not mistaken. For 3DS it might take some kind of "3DraStic" emulator instead of Citra to get satisfying results. I'd actually like to see that in the future, since it opens up 3DS games for smartphones as well.

D

Deleted-401606

Many people are disappointed to see that Nintendo announced that the Switch has no backwards compatibility for physical discs/cartridges. This is probably because there's no touchscreen; Both Wii U gamepad and 3DS has touchscreens, and not to mention 3DS has TWO screens while the Switch clearly has one.

So that you buy the 3ds and wiiu . Duh lol. PLus 3ds cant be ported because the switch has no touch screen on the gamepad.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone is crying about no backwards compatibility. It's never been a selling point since I never sell my systems.

I'll be upset if Nintendo once again decides to region lock this console.

Reactions: PSVITAEnthusiast

Gamer4647

Trophies
XP
Country
So that you buy the 3ds and wiiu . Duh lol. PLus 3ds cant be ported because the switch has no touch screen on the gamepad.
Currently speculation, with articles here, here, and just earlier here about IR functionality in the Joy-Con controllers
Since it can be used as a regular console, it does seem practical to not include a touchscreen

As usual, we'll have to wait for official confirmation

O_d-esk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda see the point in this case since the Wii U is not exactly cheap.

But the Switch is a totally different design, so, it's understandable.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Many people are disappointed to see that Nintendo announced that the Switch has no backwards compatibility for physical discs/cartridges. This is probably because there's no touchscreen; Both Wii U gamepad and 3DS has touchscreens, and not to mention 3DS has TWO screens while the Switch clearly has one.
It has no backwards compatibility because they've finally learned their lesson. For backwards compatibility, you need to stay in the same processor family. The Wii and Wii U both had basically the same processor as the Gamecube. One the Wii, it was overclocked. On the Wii U, they added two extra cores.

For comparison, imagine trying to run one of today's PC games on a Pentium 3 processor. It doesn't matter if you get the nicest one they make, it's still going to be at a huge disadvantage.

While I doubt the Switch will be as powerful as the PS4 or X1 (it is mobile, after all), using technology that isn't from 2001 will put them at a more level playing field.

Last edited by JoostinOnline,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has no backwards compatibility because they've finally learned their lesson. For backwards compatibility, you need to stay in the same processor family. The Wii and Wii U both had basically the same processor as the Gamecube. One the Wii, it was overclocked. On the Wii U, they added two extra cores.

For comparison, imagine trying to run one of today's PC games on a Pentium 3 processor. It doesn't matter if you get the nicest one they make, it's still going to be at a huge disadvantage.

While I doubt the Switch will be as powerful as the PS4 or X1 (it is mobile, after all), using technology that isn't from 2002 will put them at a more level playing field.

Thank you, I'm glad someone else sees it from this perspective; Nintendo didn't drop BC for a bad reason, using the same architecture for the past what, fifteen years has been a pretty big mistake in terms of practicality. Going to ARM is a much better direction for them in the long run.

Reactions: osaka35

civickm

Rocky Mountain IT Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

While I doubt the Switch will be as powerful as the PS4 or X1 (it is mobile, after all), using technology that isn't from 2001 will put them at a more level playing field.
I fully agree with this!

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, I'm glad someone else sees it from this perspective; Nintendo didn't drop BC for a bad reason, using the same architecture for the past what, fifteen years has been a pretty big mistake in terms of practicality. Going to ARM is a much better direction for them in the long run.
I wish they would switch (hehe) to AMD like the other consoles, because it would be much better for cross-platform games, but it's still so much better than sticking to the old PPC one.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they would switch (hehe) to AMD like the other consoles, because it would be much better for cross-platform games, but it's still so much better than sticking to the old PPC one.

The x86 architecture would be ideal, but ARM is much better in terms than sticking to the less-then-friendly PPC :P

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The x86 architecture would be ideal, but ARM is much better in terms than sticking to the less-then-friendly PPC :P
Lol imagine if they stuck a couple of Xeon Skylake CPU's in that sucker. :rofl2:

PS: Is the upload button missing for anyone else? I've just got a blank space between "Post Reply" and "More Options...".

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol imagine if they stuck a couple of Xeon Skylake CPU's in that sucker. :rofl2:

PS: Is the upload button missing for anyone else? I've just got a blank space between "Post Reply" and "More Options...".

Huh, I can see the upload button fine on my end, are you using mobile? I'm using a PC for browsing, maybe it's still broken after that maintenance a few days back? Anyways, it would be nice,
like I said, but it's not entirely a deal breaker really, and with Bethesda backing Nintendo, that too is a good sign. So is Unreal Engine 4, the team officially supports Nintendo; they wouldn't do that with the Wii U either. :P

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm pretty sure there has to be touch screen. If there's Wii/Wii U remasters or eShop specific games that use the touch screen, if there's any chance the games will run on the Switch, it has to have the same functionality.

And it would be a step back. And also, using the screen only for gaming is dumb. It would be a great companion tablet to browse the web/eShop and spend money.

Reactions: Xabring

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Huh, I can see the upload button fine on my end, are you using mobile? I'm using a PC for browsing, maybe it's still broken after that maintenance a few days back? Anyways, it would be nice,
like I said, but it's not entirely a deal breaker really, and with Bethesda backing Nintendo, that too is a good sign. So is Unreal Engine 4, the team officially supports Nintendo; they wouldn't do that with the Wii U either. :P
I was using Firefox on PC when I wrote that. I'll report it later.

Speaking of Bethesda, it turns out all the gameplay in the trailer was added later. It's possible that Skyrim can't actually run on the Switch.

Sent from behind you

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was using Firefox on PC when I wrote that. I'll report it later.

Speaking of Bethesda, it turns out all the gameplay in the trailer was added later. It's possible that Skyrim can't actually run on the Switch.

Sent from behind you

But why would they show it though? It hasn't been officially confirmed, but that doesn't mean it's been denied either. It'd be pretty stupid of them not to port something over. If Skyrim can run on the Xbox 360, it can run on the Switch.

Makes no sense for them to be deceptive.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it even legal to have shown gameplay like that if it won't/can't run it. If Bethesda won't port Skyrim then why bother showing?

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was that necessary? There is no proof or disproof at this time of the tablet having a touchscreen. Saying it 1000x times doesn't make you more right.
It's not likely a portable gaming device in 2016 has no TouchScreen.
When was the last Nintendo released without some TouchScreen option ?
WiiU had Touchscreen. 3DS had TouchScreen.

TouchScreens are cheaper and popular today ... more than they have ever been.

And you think Nintendo releases a portable gaming device without TouchScreen ?

Not going to happen.

If they do ... they made a HUGE mistake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.