Gaming Why Switch has no backwards compatibility (and other possibilities/workarounds)

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Many people are disappointed to see that Nintendo announced that the Switch has no backwards compatibility for physical discs/cartridges. This is probably because there's no touchscreen; Both Wii U gamepad and 3DS has touchscreens, and not to mention 3DS has TWO screens while the Switch clearly has one.

Last edited by Wizardkoer,
Reactions: SSG Vegeta

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Because nintendo realized that sony, which leads the console market, is making a great cash grab by denying their fanboys backwards compatibility and selling them the same old games and remasters again. Nobody seems to care thst the ps4 has no backwards compatability, instead they get hyped for fecken fully priced remasters.

Plus, it makes total sense because they have to achieve a good price point on switch, thus cutting off any hardware features that are non-quintessential to the intended experience. They're not going to shove a touch screen down everyones throats just so that people who probably already have a 3DS can play their games on switch too.

Gamer4647

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii U and 3DS backwards compatibility isn't happening because those systems have two screens, while the NX has one (Edit lol, I missed that in the main post)
That's how it should be, but it didn't stop them from porting DS games to Wii U and allowing off TV play, which is only one screen

It will most likely be ports, but at least 3DS backwards compatibility is possible, and it hasn't be revealed if there is a touchscreen just yet
Because nintendo realized that sony, which leads the console market, is making a great cash grab by denying their fanboys backwards compatibility and selling them the same old games and remasters again. Nobody seems to care thst the ps4 has no backwards compatability, instead they get hyped for fecken fully priced remasters.
That was just a crap move by Sony, where instead they want you to get remasters or spend tons of money on annoying subscriptions
Also, no backwards compatibility would keep a purpose for your old console anyway - also, they did say it won't be replacing the 3DS or Wii U, which might be why it has no backwards compatibility

Last edited by Gamer4647,
Reactions: netovsk

Kikirini

Zelda Fangirl
Trophies
Website
kuroshouri.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't need backwards compatibility. Honestly, I don't plan on unplugging my Wii U or putting my 3ds in storage any time soon, so I'll just play on those as well as the new Switch.
That being said, I'd be happy if they eventually threw Wii/Wii U and 3ds VC on the system.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many people are disappointed to see that Nintendo announced that the Switch has no backwards compatibility for physical discs/cartridges. This is probably because there's no touchscreen; Both Wii U gamepad and 3DS has touchscreens, and not to mention 3DS has TWO screens while the Switch clearly has one.
why not just allow the Switch to use the WiiU gamepad?

Reactions: kingraa777

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
much like we could eb able to get virtual wiiu (and maybe 3Ds) stuff that are linke dto the eshop account , but maybe no phisical compatibility due to be more economic to made ? (just a idea :v )

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm only bummed it has no backwards compatibility because that means I have to pay full price for the switch instead of being able to sell my Wii U beforehand so I could save a couple hundred bucks on it.

Gamer4647

Trophies
XP
Country
Backward compability to the 3DS isn't that easy. The whole firmware has to be rewritten + the weired 3DS GPU with it's half programable pipeline has to be emulated.
In the case of DS mode on 3DS, a chunk of the firmware is left out.
In the case of Wii mode on Wii U, that pretty much had 'all' of the firmware (minus the minor changes).

Depends on the hardware and how Nintendo decides to execute it, but at least 3DS emulation could be done. After all, there is the Citra emulator (I think that's what it's called anyway).

Last edited by Gamer4647,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry you made the same scheduled date with my 5th other boyfriend