chauffler

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plasma dragon007 said:
Take an exacto knife to your cards and get back to us, see if the chips have anything on them. Xraying won't do any good... you'll see right through the entire thing.
you could adjust the intensity of the ray just as long as plastic lets light pass through it more than the chip inside of it I'm just saying

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
berlinka said:
If the 3Ds is not going to be as popular as the DS, it may even be less interesting to hack after all. Just a thought.

People who hack things like this usually don't have because the machine is popular, most people hack it for their knowledge. at least my impressions

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only one group has done this, but they did it as a proof of concept. I doubt they'll release how they did it, I doubt they will be helping us hack the 3DS, and I SERIOUSLY doubt they will come out with a flashcard. I understand why they're mad though, all that work only to be ripped and sold as cheap crappy clones by China.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We know currently that Nintendo has plans for 4GB cards max currently, but I believe Hideo Kojima stated that Nintendo has 8GB carts available and that MGS3 may need it... can't remember for sure, the article is around somewhere if you want to look for it.

bonzo: As far as I know, the roms have never been "tested" and even if they are 1:1 dumps, they could still be incompatible even if you hooked them up in such a way as to run... The carts could easily have a small identifying chip or other device that would have to be reversed as well that basically communicates with the system to confirm legitimacy.

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
koji2009 said:
that is no one knows if they are even real or in any way shape or form workable.

No, they are legit. They have reflashed their dumps on a different card (though nobody knows exactly) and they worked. It's just a shame for them to not share anything they've done.

And to your last comment, they don't need a chip or whatever to confirm the system it's legit. This is done through the encryption.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shuji1987 said:
koji2009 said:
that is no one knows if they are even real or in any way shape or form workable.

No, they are legit. They have reflashed their dumps on a different card (though nobody knows exactly) and they worked. It's just a shame for them to not share anything they've done.

And to your last comment, they don't need a chip or whatever to confirm the system it's legit. This is done through the encryption.

I don't think you understand how security systems work... You don't simply put a single encryption and then call it a day... Hell, the Wii alone had something like 10 seperate encryption processes (though the majority were for seperate components such as saves, private keys, network encryption, etc) and at least 3 having to be used before they would even read a Wii disc (disc encryption, public key, TMD, maybe more)

If it all really was as simple as "copy card, flash to new card" it would have been done already and the markets would be flooded with chinese bootlegs as they were for GBA/DS carts. Especially with it's string of security issues on the GBA/DS/Wii Nintendo is going to have implemented something a LOT more complex... though to be fair, the Wii actually had a pretty good security layout if it wasn't for a hardware hack (known as the Twiizer attack) and several overlooked bugs in it's IOS system...

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
koji2009 said:
Shuji1987 said:
koji2009 said:

I don't think you understand how security systems work... You don't simply put a single encryption and then call it a day... Hell, the Wii alone had something like 10 seperate encryption processes (though the majority were for seperate components such as saves, private keys, network encryption, etc) and at least 3 having to be used before they would even read a Wii disc (disc encryption, public key, TMD, maybe more)

If it all really was as simple as "copy card, flash to new card" it would have been done already and the markets would be flooded with chinese bootlegs as they were for GBA/DS carts. Especially with it's string of security issues on the GBA/DS/Wii Nintendo is going to have implemented something a LOT more complex... though to be fair, the Wii actually had a pretty good security layout if it wasn't for a hardware hack (known as the Twiizer attack) and several overlooked bugs in it's IOS system...

No point in even trying to discuss this, nobody knows. I just pointed out that the roms are legit and have been tested to work. This rules out your chip theory. That's what I said.

bonzobanana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thats a fair point Koji but clearly if LGC has hacked a cartridge he has access to the original cartridge and can use the security chip from that to create his fake card. Maybe the reason he only dumped 3 roms was because he had to physically damage the original carts to get the security chip to put in his backup cartridge. So these dumps could be confirmed as working but serve little purpose to anyone else until all security measures have been broken.

So what he has achieved really is done a 1:1 copy of a rom chip and used some of the parts of the original cartridge to get it running. Nothing has actually been hacked at all with regard unencrypting the protection. Just really replacing a flash memory chip in place of a rom chip.

ichichfly

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
bonzobanana said:
Thats a fair point Koji but clearly if LGC has hacked a cartridge he has access to the original cartridge and can use the security chip from that to create his fake card. Maybe the reason he only dumped 3 roms was because he had to physically damage the original carts to get the security chip to put in his backup cartridge. So these dumps could be confirmed as working but serve little purpose to anyone else until all security measures have been broken.

So what he has achieved really is done a 1:1 copy of a rom chip and used some of the parts of the original cartridge to get it running. Nothing has actually been hacked at all with regard unencrypting the protection. Just really replacing a flash memory chip in place of a rom chip.

ah year nice but there are 2 chips in the 3ds card (http://www.3dbrew.org/w/images/3/3e/GamecardPhy.jpg) the eeprom and the rom the rom is one chip it is nearly imposible to open it and mod it. the other is known you can buy the chip if you realy think that is a good idear.

and copying the data in the rom don't say you can copy the chip. It is like this they have raw data readed by an unknown cmd but the 3ds say to the chip ok all my cmds are now encypted by seed xy and all you send is encrypted by seed zz after any cmd the seed change. So you don't even know what the 3ds has sended what do you do if you respond with the raw data the 3ds say this is not my data and show an error.

shareyou

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
synce said:
It's just typical drama. Nerds are not immune to it

Sooooooooooo true, I think it applies to nerds even more because of the emotional instability and problems of being outcasts.

Too bad they are being a sookie lala and not releasing anything, but whatever their prerogative .

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
morphius said:
Was just curious if anyone has any insight as to why no new roms have been dumped. Is it a technical reason, such as the dumper can only work with certain carts. Or is it some other reason?

Judging from their nfo file, they are waiting for others to dump them and they do not want to contribute more until they have competition.

If people got together and dumped more ROMs it would still be futile anyway because there is no way to run them. I'm not really looking forward to pirating this console to be perfectly honest.

I have also speculated (this is speculation, not fact) that if Legacy dumped first party games, then Nintendo would find a way to sue them for a few million dollars.

QUOTE(berlinka @ Aug 21 2011, 09:37 PM) If the 3Ds is not going to be as popular as the DS, it may even be less interesting to hack after all. Just a thought.

If the what and what? 3DS is going to take over. DS is on its way out.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
berlinka said:
If the 3Ds is not going to be as popular as the DS, it may even be less interesting to hack after all. Just a thought.
The 3DS would be an excellent homebrew system regardless of it's retail popularity. With all of it's unique functions I can't wait to see what scene coders could do with it. 3D video for instance? 3D minecraft? Drool.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
berlinka said:
The 3DS would be an excellent homebrew system regardless of it's retail popularity. With all of it's unique functions I can't wait to see what scene coders could do with it. 3D video for instance? 3D minecraft? Drool.

This is true and actually the only ONE reason why I would like to see it hacked. I really don't need to get the latest games for free for every console that ever comes out. Been there, done that. It has served its time and moving on into the future we will start seeing heavier hardware based DRM and I think at some point in time we will be seeing consoles come out that nobody pirates.

Homebrew is great stuff though and especially when very talented coders make use of opened systems.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There will never be a "hack proof" system, there will always be ways to exploit hardware and software... The key in this modern age (and a hard lesson that Sony has actually learned pretty well) of heavy DRM is to give the people that own the systems a good reason to keep their firmwares up to date, and thus pirate free.

Sure you can pirate a bunch of old games on firmware 3.55, but you can't play any of the new games or access online multiplayer. You also lose out on being able to purchase DLC for your games and free downloads!

Then all of a sudden being on a hacked system becomes a harder choice... do you stick with the ability to use Linux and use lots of custom software or do you upgrade to be able to keep playing games online with your friends, etc?

Plus, of course, suing the hackers into non-existance helps too.

bonzobanana

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ichichfly said:
bonzobanana said:

ah year nice but there are 2 chips in the 3ds card (http://www.3dbrew.org/w/images/3/3e/GamecardPhy.jpg) the eeprom and the rom the rom is one chip it is nearly imposible to open it and mod it. the other is known you can buy the chip if you realy think that is a good idear.

and copying the data in the rom don't say you can copy the chip. It is like this they have raw data readed by an unknown cmd but the 3ds say to the chip ok all my cmds are now encypted by seed xy and all you send is encrypted by seed zz after any cmd the seed change. So you don't even know what the 3ds has sended what do you do if you respond with the raw data the 3ds say this is not my data and show an error.

Looking at that cartridge diagram there doesn't appear to be a seperate security chip. So you have a gamesave eeprom and the main rom chip. So could LGC have created a 1:1 copy of the rom without beating the protection/encryption of the data?

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
koji2009 said:
Plus, of course, suing the hackers into non-existance helps too.

Um, Sony kind of opened a can of worms with that. It's better not to disturb the sleeping lion, they say.

As for the roms, I wouldn't pull a quick one and say Legacy's dumps are 100% real. Just because they're respected, they can still mess with the scene - the scene which they so greatly despise. After all, there's no way to prove if the ROM dumps are real or not.

D

Deleted User

Legacy are trolling I think they were released for Proof, but that's it for now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: 455