Why, just why?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by fossda, Aug 9, 2012.

Aug 9, 2012

Why, just why? by fossda at 11:59 PM (2,589 Views / 0 Likes) 39 Comments

emigre In a constant struggle against my inner weeaboo

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    4 people like this.

• Reporter

Foxi4 Gravity is for weaklings.

Message Count:
    Poland
    Yeah, how horrible of them! They shouldn't make business, they should serve us, we deserve it, they owe it to us!

Thread should be locked, it's just a silly question. They did because they could - it's their product, nobody's forcing you to buy it.
    3 people like this.

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Message Count:
    United States
    Yes, however, like anything mass produced, economy of scales drives these cost down as well. That also means actual material cost will be cheaper than $159 listed in that article.
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    Pretty much everything I have to say. Manufacturing costs, shipping costs or any other costs you might think of don't matter - it's their hardware and if they feel like it, they can price it "unfairly". You are the customer and in the end, you decide whether you want to buy the hardware or not.
    Count Duckula likes this.

SifJar Not a pirate

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    I'm sure it's only a matter of time until third party memory cards come (they did for the PS1 and PS2), and after that there may even be adapters to use Micro SD cards or something like that. Suffice to say, it won't be too long until you can get working cards much cheaper than you can now ;)

Ozito Not a new member anymore

Message Count:
    Sweden
    Oh the horror!

Why can't they be more like microsoft that sold normal 2.5" hdd in som fancy plastic wrapping for an overprice.
    Don't get me wrong, i got both the 360 and ps3 and each got their own great exclusive games but if you wanted to expand the storage of your ps3 you only had to salvage the hdd from your laptop, with the xbox it isn't that easy.

Besides who can blame sony for taking precautions with their new handheld when the previous one was hacked to shit.
    I doubt people are going to buy the games if the vita gets hacked.

ShadowSoldier New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    I always appreciate a good old fashioned circle jerk.

Tom Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder

Message Count:
    United States
    Look at it this way, they could have made the memory built in like apple and make you pay more for more space, I think they made a compromise there, they still make some money, and we can have as much memory as we want. That said, It's still ridiculous

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Eh, Apple hasn't done built-in RAM since they switched to x86. Even the iMacs and Mabook Pro series (not sure on the Air) have swappable RAM.

RodrigoDavy AAAHHHHRRRRRRRR!

Message Count:
    Brazil
    I think he meant internal memory not RAM. Like the iPhone, all of its memory is internal, it has no card slot.

Also, the newer macbooks have their RAM soldered on the motheboard, so they're not swappable

Message Count:
    United States
    Yeah internal mem , Like the iphone

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Message Count:
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Doesn't everybody? I sure as hell can't swap out the NAND of my friend's Wii U, or the flash of my Transformer Prime, or the internal storage of my dad's phone, or...
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    Pointless discussion is pointless - in all honesty, the Vita packs a:
    • Quad-Core SGX543MP4+ GPU, which is an enhanced version of the 3rd Gen iPad GPU, running at 400Mhz as compared to 250Mhz of the iPad's SGX543MP4
    • Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A9 MPCore running at 1,5Ghz and upwards, which in itself is a powerful CPU
    • Comes with 512MB RAM and 128MB VRAM, which is twice the system memory and half the VRAM of the PS3
    • Is sold for a fraction of the price of comparable devices
    You can rag on the memory cards as much as you want, with this kind of setup, it's a mirracle that the system isn't more expensive and it's fair to assume that Sony's simply paying their bills with the memory card profits. What I'm trying to say here is that the system itself is a good deal and the memory cards are expensive only to make the overall price "equalize".
    Last edited by Foxi4, Dec 20, 2012

emigre In a constant struggle against my inner weeaboo

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    People crying about prices in luxury pastime shocker.

Issac 10 Year Member, 0 Warnings!

Message Count:
    Sweden
    WiiU You can use an external HDD, Transformer Prime can use a micro SD card, and probably your dad's phone has some m2 or micro SD or something... but whatever.
    He said that they could've done what Apple has done, have models with different built in storage instead of the memory cards (but keeping them optional).
    (And to clarify: The iPhones and iPod Touch has always been like 8GB, 16GB 32GB and 64GB, with no SD card slot or such thing to expand after purchase)
    • Reporter

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Message Count:
    Finland
    And the we'd be limited to the original amount of memory available for a gaming device, which rarely gets updated yearly like phones or tabs. Just look at SD and the prices now vs when the DSi was released. Didn't cost $20 to get a Class 10 32 GB card back then..

I don't personally like the prices, but once the price per GB becomes a bit better, I'll be getting a 64 GB, 128 GB or possibly bigger card.

Message Count:
    United States
    I remember when a 32 gig was $50 I'd say $20 for a 32 is a steal

pwsincd Garage Flower

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah was looking into that , it seems to me that they altered the mem cards physical shape to block the use of such adaptors from the PSP , theres no current adaptors available although work is underway in trying to dev one however the main issue i see is the fact that Sony cards arent much different in size to a micro SD , making a concealed adaptor tricky if impossible (makes me think that was on purpose too).

Message Count:
    United States
    If it's just a fat microsd, then why doesn't some one shove a microsd in there with some cardboard? Let me know if you try it, I'll try it once I get my vita on christmas
    • Reporter

Message Count:
    Poland
    ...it's not a "fat microSD", the connectors are not laid out the same way and all you'll amount to is clogging your PSVita with cardboard.

If anything, someone should just map what the Vita's memory card connectors do and attempt to mount it on a PC. As far as I know, people are "working on that". The adapter wouldn't really have to be concealed - you can use a "fake" card with some tape connected to it and mount the adapter anywhere on the system.

Remember that? It worked.
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!
    Last edited by Foxi4, Dec 22, 2012