Hardware Why is the PSP D-Pad so unresponsive?

Crygor64

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've just about given up on playing 2-d fighters on the PSP. They have become a terrible chore. Special moves that I used to pull off with ease on other consoles are now extremely difficult to do on a reliable basis.

So I went searching all over the web for a sollution.

First there is this. The d-pad "coin."

http://www.gamebrink.com/news/456-Tekken_P...s_New_DPad.html

Unfortunately, I don't want that thing stuck to my d-pad. Just like the fighter coin that came with Street Fighter Alpha, that thing is almost impossible to get off once you've attatched it to your machine.

Then there was this "little" sollution.

http://ufighterx.com/guides/videogame/pspd.../pspdpadfix.htm

However that sollution seems a bit drastic.

So what is it that makes the PSP d-pad so unresponsive? Will the d-pad mod actually work? I'd like to give a try but I'ld like to hear some feedback first. (I also worry that this fix would actually end up hurting my PSP in the long run.)

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the reason i think it's so bad is because it's recessed too far into the console. your thumb has to press too hard

i think this mod would work and im temped to try it myself!

reaperman@home

Trophies
Website
www.geocities.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
So what is it that makes the PSP d-pad so unresponsive?
the fact that sony designed their d-pad in such a completely useless shape over 10 years ago. I wasn't aware that any of the Sony controllers had a very good D-pad. what's wrong with pretending that you're playing it on your PS2?

actually, a slightly more drastic mod seems to be in order. Reaming the hole larger and fitting a round d-pad in there, for example. probably the one from the 'batwing' saturn controller. It may even be necessary to glue part of the saturn controller board over the psp leads to get everything to line up. I doubt it would stick out all that far...

there must be somebody out there with a 1" hole reamer...

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
the problem with the psp d-pad(and the psp in general) is that its poorly designed and is very susceptible to dust, the left d-pad button on my 1.5 is almost none reponsive now. DAMN U SONY!

MaD_mAnIaC

In a mad world, only the mad are sane
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i recently changed my psp cover to a xcm crystal, and since i had to open the psp to install the cover i performed the dpad mod too. it's not a hard thing to do, just cut some small pieces of duct tape and place them under the directional arrows ( i used 3 layers of black duct tape ) so it will raise the dpad a bit. i prefer this method, since no hot-glue is involved, and can be easily removed if you're not happy with it.
this definitively improved the dpad a lot for me... up button had to be pressed really hard, and the down button was somewhat "heavy" too. now they act perfectly fine.

i don't understand how sony engineers didn't notice this problem and came up with a better dpad... sony is just a shame when it comes to quality.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
just cut some small pieces of duct tape and place them under the directional arrows ( i used 3 layers of black duct tape ) so it will raise the dpad a bit. i prefer this method, since no hot-glue is involved, and can be easily removed if you're not happy with it.

thanks for this ill definitely try it when im replacing my psp screen

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
because it's a piece of junk. and it's a piece of crap. it's true. look it up.
tongue.gif

Dogg Thang

Roobarb Rocks
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
because it's a piece of junk. and it's a piece of crap. it's true. look it up.Â
tongue.gif

I think you nailed it right there.

As for what is wrong with the DS pad, in my opinion, not a huge amount. I do find it a little too loose so the directions aren't as clear cut. The Micro pad is far better but I certainly don't have a major problem with the DS pad.

ital

Trophies
XP
I agree about the DSL pad - If they made it the same as the Micro one it would be perfect.

As for the PSP - My ceramic has one of the later redesigned Dpads in that sits a little higher than a normal one (think halfway between standard and UfighterX mod) but I'm still tempted to open it up and mod it.

One thing I would love to do is move the Dpad to the analog stick position and move the analog up with a larger disc - That would be control perfection and the most natural hand position as its my preferred input device.

Need to find a replacement analog mechanism as the current one cannot support a larger disc as the extra size kills the inside of the potentiometer...

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
I think the DSL D-Pad is the best D-Pad ever, seriously. It's insanely comfortable to use, never had a problem with it. It's actually improved my game, seriously. (130 Lines using the DS, 205 Lines on DSL in Tetris DS)

Smirre

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Capcom bundles their d-pad with some of their jap games. It's kind of made to old school beat em up games. It's said to work wonders on emulator games too. Look out for it on Play-Asia and Lik-Sang.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1