Gaming Why is Sonic Boom so bad?

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big Red Button, some no name company Sega didn't give a shit about, Sega was too bloody lazy to do it themselves.

Well they might have been competent since they worked at naughty dog but sega might have screwed them which resulted in a low quality product

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The company was reported to be in trouble while developing Sonic Booom.

It's still a damn foolish thing for them to outsource instead of making the damned game on their own accord. They're lazy and Sega Team hasn't made anything good in a long time. The game was a lost cause at the beginning and still is a lost cause.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's still a damn foolish thing for them to outsource instead of making the damned game on their own accord. They're lazy and Sega Team hasn't made anything good in a long time. The game was a lost cause at the beginning and still is a lost cause.
Sonic team made colors.
Plus many of the devs probably have quit or what not but sega has abused all its ips from the Dreamcast days

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not necessarily a good thing. Being accurate to the Japanese original means that certain jokes, items or scenes might be completely unfamiliar to the audience - they have to be adjusted in order to retain their sense. If, for instance, one of the characters says a Japanese proverb that the European audience has no way of knowing, the sense of the whole scene will be lost on them. A good translator will find an equivalent proverb in order to make the conversation flow properly. Accuracy is one thing, conveying a certain message successfully is another.
The issue is that 4Kids did more than that. Rather than properly making adjustments they frequently made half baked changes. The number of times they changed rice balls to either sandwich or doughnut was ridiculous. This wouldn't be an issue if they replaced it, but there was very obviously a rice ball on screen, but they insisted on calling it a sandwich or doughnut in all of their dubs. I remember seeing that as a kid and wondering what it even was because it sure as hell didn't look like a sandwich to me. The other thing that really pissed people off was that they got the rights to shows like One Piece that clearly weren't intended for their audience, which they then bastardized with censorship.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The issue is that 4Kids did more than that. Rather than properly making adjustments they frequently made half baked changes. The number of times they changed rice balls to either sandwich or doughnut was ridiculous. This wouldn't be an issue if they replaced it, but there was very obviously a rice ball on screen, but they insisted on calling it a sandwich or doughnut in all of their dubs. I remember seeing that as a kid and wondering what it even was because it sure as hell didn't look like a sandwich to me. The other thing that really pissed people off was that they got the rights to shows like One Piece that clearly weren't intended for their audience, which they then bastardized with censorship.
Never gave any praise to 4Kids - they're garbage. I merely said that adjusting the material isn't something unheard of or wrong. ;) As for One Piece, I don't think there is an audience that it could be intended for since it's garbage as well. ;O;

Reactions: vayanui8

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Never gave any praise to 4Kids - they're garbage. I merely said that adjusting the material isn't something unheard of or wrong. ;) As for One Piece, I don't think there is an audience it could be intended for since it's garbage as well. ;O;
The 4Kids dub of Pokémon is pretty decent but I have a thing to prefer the original names and its score so I'm following bit by bit as the Japanese version is subbed. It'll possibly take years till it's finished (the whole 276 episode series).

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 4Kids dub of Pokémon is pretty decent but I have a thing to prefer the original names and its score so I'm following bit by bit as the Japanese version is subbed. It'll possibly take years till it's finished (the whole 276 episode series).
What about the banned episodes?

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Those are covered too but banning Pokémon episodes was a really stupid thing to do. Ah, well, typical of PC people.

It's why lists like these exist:

The only clip I found to be tasteless humour was #1.

I agree but it was dumb they removed some of the pokemon episodes when at least they could have removed the parts. Plus the porygon ban on TV is retarded

D

Deleted User

Have you ever seen the Yu-Gi-Oh abridged series? They mock 4kids nearly every episode, which is why the channel has been deleted so many times.
Actually someone at 4kids confirmed that YT bots keep taking it down and 4kids has made no takedown request and they actually think it's funny.
BTW, I like the 4Kids Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon dubs, their voice acting and bgm is great, sucks that they never finished GX and 5Ds.
I look forward to eventually playing Sonic Boom, hated the Lost World demo.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually someone at 4kids confirmed that YT bots keep taking it down and 4kids has made no takedown request and they actually think it's funny.
BTW, I like the 4Kids Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon dubs, their voice acting and bgm is great, sucks that they never finished GX and 5Ds.
I look forward to eventually playing Sonic Boom, hated the Lost World demo.
Didn't they lose rights to saban brands?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sega was on the right track with sonic gens than they had to go down this shit filled road...

Sonic Colors and maybe Generations was/were the best Sonic games since Sonic Heroes. After Generations, Sonic went to shit. Sega just needs to reboot Sonic all together but bring back the Sonic Colors style of play.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: One of the worst games I have ever played