Hacking Why flashcards will not kill the 3DS

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Posted this originally in the R4 thread, but it sort of got lost in the clutter. So, repost here.

I really don't see why everybody assumes a flashcart means the instant death of the 3DS. It certainly hasn't hurt the Wii or DS any, and both of those had them pretty early on, and have had insanely easy methods for a while. Yet, contrary to peoples claims, this hasn't stopped any "big games" from coming to them. This hasn't stopped 3rd party support. It hasn't changed well, much of anything. The primary reason any game doesn't come to the Wii vs the PS3 or Xbox360 is purely because of a) power or b) image. That's it. And well, there's certainly never been a stop to the flood of games on the DS, like Imagine! Crappy Game Designer.

The companies always say they have "lost" x$ to piracy. While it is true they lose something to piracy, it's nowhere near the x$. Let's say that piracy never existed and game A comes out. You have no intention of buying game A. Now, lets go back to piracy existing and you download the game for whatever reason you wouldn't have bought in the first place. There is no lost sale there. Or to put it another way - say you hate tomatoes. If the price of tomatoes goes down to 1 cent/lb, you're not magically going to buy more tomatoes. If there was a way pirate vegetables, you wouldn't be causing lost sales of tomatoes. So if a sale never would have happened, it's not a lost sale. Yet companies assume every download is a lost sale.

Now, are there some games people get for free that they would have bought? Yes, of course. These are the true lost sales. But what we tend to forget here is that gbatemp/"the scene" is a rather insular community. A lot of "regular" people have no clue that you can use flashcards or modchips or whatnot, and are totally amazed when somebody tells them that they can. (Trust me, I've had the experience a few times) Without a doubt, the majority of DSes, Wiis, or any other system are unmodded. Which is why the true loss of y$ is always less then the stated loss of x$.

Am I somehow trying to justify piracy with this post? No, of course not. People can make their own personal justifications for why they want/don't want a flashcard/mod. But please stop saying that it's killed the 3DS or anything else. The PSP didn't die (and has already been mentioned, 60 million sold is hardly a failure. It's probably more then every other non-Nintendo portable combined.) because of piracy, it died because of poor planning on Sony's part. End of story.

Now, all of this being said, it doesn't matter to me personally if a 3DS mode cart ever happens, even though it's naive to think it won't. It will be nice to have a DS mode cart if nothing else so I can get rid of my lite and still have my emus and what not. Because I love my emus and shouldn't have to lug a 2600 around to play frostbite or yar's revenge.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy is a easy scape Goat for a company when they make a crappy game. They can then say "Man this is a great game , but those darn pirates won't pay to get it." The truth is for every one "Pirate" there are 50 parents who buy the game for their little Brat-zilla just because it's easier.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I don't understand, is why people debate/defend piracy, while completely ignoring the sale of used games. Almost every gamer I know (who actually buys games) would rather save money by purchasing a used game. It's true that every used game means that someone had to buy it new at some point, but this legal option is also hurting the industry.

I do agree with the topic however, and I believe the 3DS will be a success regardless of flashcarts. I'm an early adopter, and I throw a lot of money at the big three everytime a system launches, but I do look forward to any hacking perks that become available down the road.

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
i actually think the 3DS will be the death of flashcarts, if not flashcarts, atleast piracy.
why?
well what cant you do on 3DS you can do on flash carts?
its not out yet so we dont really know yet,
but we already can view pics, listen to music, & theyve confirmed 3D movies. (that takes care of media)
as for games well theyve mentioned the ability to install more that one game a while back. not sure if its available at launch tho.
then theres 3DSware & DSiware. (which is the gaming part)

as for piracy?
each game is ateast $40
flashcarts for DS range around $15-30 & for DSi $20-40, for 3DS carts we can probably expect $50+( if they ever make any)
not to mention the price of a 32GB SDHC card atleast $70,
& if they use the alternative & make flash carts SDXC compatible we can expect those to be atleast $100+

all i would really need a flashcart on 3DS for is for my homebrew dev
im kinda hoping they hoping back on 3DS carts for atleast 3 years tho
unsure.gif

atleast give us more on DSi before moving to 3Ds.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i understand both sides
one side thinks that developers wont have reason to invest in a new system if the games they make will be stolen.
the other side thinks that wont happen

i can agree that games will still be made
the ds still had games
the pc is largly pirated and it still gets games
the ds didnt get good games b/c it wasnt a good platform for them
the graphics were not good enough
and the controls were not great either

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
t377y000 said:
as for piracy?
each game is ateast $40
flashcarts for DS range around $15-30 & for DSi $20-40, for 3DS carts we can probably expect $50+( if they ever make any)
& if they use the alternative & make flash carts SDXC compatible we can expect those to be atleast $100+

You would be able to fit at least 10 3DS games on a 32 GB.....it will have then paid for itself, and then some.
10 games=$400 legit
or
10 games=$120 pirated

so, yeah.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
dsfanatic5 said:
What I don't understand, is why people debate/defend piracy, while completely ignoring the sale of used games. Almost every gamer I know (who actually buys games) would rather save money by purchasing a used game. It's true that every used game means that someone had to buy it new at some point, but this legal option is also hurting the industry.

I do agree with the topic however, and I believe the 3DS will be a success regardless of flashcarts. I'm an early adopter, and I throw a lot of money at the big three everytime a system launches, but I do look forward to any hacking perks that become available down the road.

Oh, get off it! Do used cars hurt car companies? No.
Used electronics hurt their companies? Nope.
Used furniture? nada.

The fact of the matter is, only video game companies are bitching about used goods hurting their bottom line, when used good have been traded, bartered and sold from the beginning of written history.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
t377y000 said:
i actually think the 3DS will be the death of flashcarts, if not flashcarts, atleast piracy.
why?
but we already can view pics, listen to music, & theyve confirmed 3D movies. (that takes care of media)
as for games well theyve mentioned the ability to install more that one game a while back. not sure if its available at launch tho.

as for piracy?
each game is ateast $40

unsure.gif

There's plenty you can do with hardware once you can run whatever code you want on it. The possibilities are limitless.

And seriously, the price of flashcarts or the media that the pirated games are put on are not stopping piracy one bit. It's not even close to influencing it. First of all, these prices easily go down. Judging purely for historical evidence and nothing else, flashcarts (or the like) are 3-4 years down the line. MicroSDXC cards could probably be dirt cheap by then. Who knows if MicroSD cards will even still be around? Second, even if a flashcart were released today, you are still saving money, period. What do people not get? $120 (from your figures) for a 3DS flashcart plus a 32GB MicroSDHC card is nothing considering what you will do with it. The only thing that's stopping piracy is the security measures Nintendo puts in place. Other factors, like the cost of the media, people can and will deal with.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it, considering that pirating one game could mean not being able to go online for all my games, pirated or not, so I won't pirate at all. That's me. But saying that there's not going to be piracy at all just because SD cards are too expensive is ridiculous to say the least.

DxEggman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutella said:
t377y000 said:
why?

as for piracy?
each game is ateast $40

unsure.gif

There's plenty you can do with hardware once you can run whatever code you want on it. The possibilities are limitless.

And seriously, the price of flashcarts or the media that the pirated games are put on are not stopping piracy one bit. It's not even close to influencing it. First of all, these prices easily go down. Judging purely for historical evidence and nothing else, flashcarts (or the like) are 3-4 years down the line. MicroSDXC cards could probably be dirt cheap by then. Who knows if MicroSD cards will even still be around? Second, even if a flashcart were released today, you are still saving money, period. What do people not get? $120 (from your figures) for a 3DS flashcart plus a 32GB MicroSDHC card is nothing considering what you will do with it. The only thing that's stopping piracy is the security measures Nintendo puts in place. Other factors, like the cost of the media, people can and will deal with.

Personally, I don't think it's worth it, considering that pirating one game could mean not being able to go online for all my games, pirated or not, so I won't pirate at all. That's me. But saying that there's not going to be piracy at all just because SD cards are too expensive is ridiculous to say the least.

someone didn't read my post! :B

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the DS being so piracy-prone will improve the 3DS's sales and game sales.

If the 3DS truly is hackproof hack-retardant, then people who enjoy game series from the DS will still have the strong desire to play the new games in the series on the 3DS, and thus buy these new games.

Case-in-point: More than anything else, Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright sold the 3DS to me.

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DxEggman said:
nutella said:
t377y000 said:
why?

as for piracy?
each game is ateast $40

unsure.gif

someone didn't read my post! :B
Don't worry, I read it. I just added to what you were saying.
smile.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dsfanatic5 said:

I agree, I believe buying used games or renting games hurts the industry a lot more.
Now this seems like it doesn't make any sense because with used games, at least someone had to buy it in the first place; which is unlike piracy (assuming the source works at a game shop and "borrows" the game to dump it).
However, with used games, people are still spending money on it, which means that if buying used games was illegal, people might still choose to buy the game new. The same cannot be said for piracy however. For the majority of pirates, their mindset is that if it can't be pirated then it's simply not worth playing in the first place. I for one, only have a DS because of the ease of piracy on it.
There is a very big difference between free and not free, and after that the difference between $20 and $50, for example, is actually very small.
closedeyes.gif

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
DeMoN said:
There is a very big difference between free and not free, and after that the difference between $20 and $50, for example, is actually very small.
closedeyes.gif

Very well said.

You can see that here as well. People dispute about flashcards for hours, but once they understand that they need a new card (after several weeks or so) they usually don't care if it's $10 or $35.

It's just the point: Oh, I need to do something and I need to spend real money.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it