Why Fairy Tail is bad

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
everyone in those mangas always powers up to protect their shit. they do that in fairy tail as well, even though half the power ups are temporary in fairy tail or only show leftover effects 20 chapters later.
luffy does not fight more maturely though, he just doesnt. its the same as always, one attack after the other, now randomly enhanced with haki that apparently is a swiss army knife among abilities, similar to the sharingan in naruto (it makes your body stronger, enhances your muscles, has 200 jutsus you dont really need to train for etc etc).

or do you think it was reasonable to assume that sucking in all of ceasars poison gas would work out fine and dandy because he was already poisoned once in the past and he somehow is able to channel things from his lungs to his ears now?
or how there was a plan and he completely ignored it to fight in that tournament?
or how he still ignores pretty much anything just as he always did? like not making big mom angry and then even angrier.

hes just the same airhead as he was when the show started. granted, thats exactly what people want in those long shonen series. they just want it to go on the way it did.
I do agree on a lot of things you said. The fights are just the same, characters have barely changed in the psychological department. However I like the things they treat in OP.
The whole Pirate vs the World government is interesting at best. I like how they also introduced a few ruthless characters that are "upholders of Justice" and they will do pretty much anything to kill the most notorious pirates. (Akainu)
However, they aren't actually better than the pirates they are trying so much to kill, so there's irony in that. XD
The introduction of the fishmen also brought something I would never think they would show in anime.
Racism, pure outright discrimination that isn't founded on any purpose. Reflects a lot in our world too.
It also introduce a whole lot of concepts that makes OP rather interesting, however there are lots of weaknesses as well. :)

All the characters have interesting goals and a lovable background, (Nami and Robin, being my most favorite due to it's seriousness)

Reactions: Gourmet-Hunter-C

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I used to read alot of shonens, but the problem is, the authors always try to make each fight even longer and more epic than the previous one in order to keep the attention of the readers. It generally works for a bit, but then even the constant upscaling stops taking effect when you reach bullshit heights (OMG, it's going to destroy the universe! style). That's one of the reasons I started going for manga with more unconventional stories.
I find Korean manhwas much more inventive, and they don't have all those stereotypes mangas are generally riddled with.

Lol, I'm going to do a bit of propaganda here:
Read Tower of God!
Amazingly devilish plot! Epic battles! Complex and interesting characters!

Gourmet-Hunter-C

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
everyone in those mangas always powers up to protect their shit. they do that in fairy tail as well, even though half the power ups are temporary in fairy tail or only show leftover effects 20 chapters later.
luffy does not fight more maturely though, he just doesnt. its the same as always, one attack after the other, now randomly enhanced with haki that apparently is a swiss army knife among abilities, similar to the sharingan in naruto (it makes your body stronger, enhances your muscles, has 200 jutsus you dont really need to train for etc etc).

or do you think it was reasonable to assume that sucking in all of ceasars poison gas would work out fine and dandy because he was already poisoned once in the past and he somehow is able to channel things from his lungs to his ears now?
or how there was a plan and he completely ignored it to fight in that tournament?
or how he still ignores pretty much anything just as he always did? like not making big mom angry and then even angrier.

hes just the same airhead as he was when the show started. granted, thats exactly what people want in those long shonen series. they just want it to go on the way it did.

Actually he knows he is immune to most poisons so he redirected the poison away from everyone else. haki can be learned by everyone whereas sharingan can only be learned by members of the uchia clan.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's pretty convenient isn't it? Luffy's crew aren't the only pirates in the OP universe, so why can't find anyone of the other pirates find the friggin treasure? I would have expected that Blackbeard and his bums would have found it already. But no, everyone's waiting for Luffy to take it. Friggin plot convenience.
Cos it's friggin well hidden? And pffft Blackbeard. If anyone would stand a chance it would have been Whitebeard or maybe Shanks. Or the other great Emperors. Hell, for all we know, One Piece may not exactly be what it seems, ie a huge mountain of gold and loot and hookers. I mean, this story is Luffy's story. Not that much point if someone else has already found it no? Complaining like this is like being pissed when Frieza lost just because Goku went Super Saiyan just in the nick of time.

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used to read alot of shonens, but the problem is, the authors always try to make each fight even longer and more epic than the previous one in order to keep the attention of the readers. It generally works for a bit, but then even the constant upscaling stops taking effect when you reach bullshit heights (OMG, it's going to destroy the universe! style). That's one of the reasons I started going for manga with more unconventional stories.
I find Korean manhwas much more inventive, and they don't have all those stereotypes mangas are generally riddled with.

Read Tower of God!
Well yeah. Long fights are interesting. What I hate though, is the fact that there are people watching anime just fir the fights. The stories can be interesting too, in fact, that's what I love about anime.
Code Geass, Death Note, (obvious ones but they were good!).
Guren Lagann is also a beautiful work of good always triumphing over evil. However, unlike Fairy Tail, it doesn't hesitate to make one of the most important characters die, in order to make it's point across.
I found SAO to be interesting as well. I
Recently, Shigeki no Kyojin caught my eye as well. It's a masterpiece.
Stein: Gate, Baccano, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist are masterpieces in their own right too.
I may be rambling but checking these anime would do you no wrong. XD

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well yeah. Long fights are interesting. What I hate though, is the fact that there are people watching anime just fir the fights. The stories can be interesting too, in fact, that's what I love about anime.
Code Geass, Death Note, (obvious ones but they were good!).
Guren Lagann is also a beautiful work of good always triumphing over evil. However, unlike Fairy Tail, it doesn't hesitate to make one of the most important characters die, in order to make it's point across.
I found SAO to be interesting as well. I
Recently, Shigeki no Kyojin caught my eye as well. It's a masterpiece.
Stein: Gate, Baccano, Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist are masterpieces in their own right too.
I may be rambling but checking these anime would do you no wrong. XD

Most of them I've read or watched, but I'm an avid reader and I always keep looking for new things, and manhwas really have my attention now.
They're mostly 1-strip chapter webtoons, so the translated ones feel really nice to read on a computer, and the different culture makes for different stories as well.
I really recommend manhwas like Trace or The God of High School: they're still Shonen but feel really different and are really amazing.

Reactions: gamefan5

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My takes:

Fairy Tail: Gave up after the first episode. Read about 5 chapters of the manga, just couldnt get into it.

Bleach: Watched for about 150 eps, then read the manga until about ch 320, then gave up on it beacuse it seems nobody in Soul Society can freaking do anything without Ichigo. I mean seriously, how did survive this long?

Naruto: Watched the Anime until a little after the pain arc, still read the manga. The current arc has dragged on way too long and gets more baffling by the week though...

Let me get this straight. We have all 4 of the previous Hogake's - undead, more or less immortal, and with presumably infinite chakra. Yet what they do? Mostly stand around and make speeches. We also have a worldwide ninja army, and yet the only people fighting are Naruto, Sakura, Sauske, Killer Bee, and Kakashi, who are somehow better then everybody else combined, including all 5 current kage's.

One Piece: Never got into the anime, read the manga here and there. I'm about 50 chapters behind. Overall, the plot never seems to really move forward.

Edit: And of couse Dragonball, the epitome of a pointless anime, where you spend entire episodes talking about how awesome your super move is. Or as I usually put it: Goku/other good guy fights bad guy for seemingly no real reason, in a fight that lasts for around 20 episodes until he finally uses a super move and wins after boring the audience to death. I will admit the manga is better, but still, it's one of my least favorite anime.

Gourmet-Hunter-C

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My takes:

Fairy Tail: Gave up after the first episode. Read about 5 chapters of the manga, just couldnt get into it.

Bleach: Watched for about 150 eps, then read the manga until about ch 320, then gave up on it beacuse it seems nobody in Soul Society can freaking do anything without Ichigo. I mean seriously, how did survive this long?

Naruto: Watched the Anime until a little after the pain arc, still read the manga. The current arc has dragged on way too long and gets more baffling by the week though...

Let me get this straight. We have all 4 of the previous Hogake's - undead, more or less immortal, and with presumably infinite chakra. Yet what they do? Mostly stand around and make speeches. We also have a worldwide ninja army, and yet the only people fighting are Naruto, Sakura, Sauske, Killer Bee, and Kakashi, who are somehow better then everybody else combined, including all 5 current kage's.

One Piece: Never got into the anime, read the manga here and there. I'm about 50 chapters behind. Overall, the plot never seems to really move forward.

Edit: And of couse Dragonball, the epitome of a pointless anime, where you spend entire episodes talking about how awesome your super move is. Or as I usually put it: Goku/other good guy fights bad guy for seemingly no real reason, in a fight that lasts for around 20 episodes until he finally uses a super move and wins after boring the audience to death. I will admit the manga is better, but still, it's one of my least favorite anime.

Well in the case of DBZ kai is a more accurate presentation of how the anime was supposed to be it was just that they stalled the fights to avoid going on filler

gamefan5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most of them I've read or watched, but I'm an avid reader and I always keep looking for new things, and manhwas really have my attention now.
They're mostly 1-strip chapter webtoons, so the translated ones feel really nice to read on a computer, and the different culture makes for different stories as well.
I really recommend manhwas like Trace or The God of High School: they're still Shonen but feel really different and are really amazing.

I will take your note for it. Any compelling stories is welcome in my book. XD

Reactions: Silverthorn

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
actually, there are some anime i watched only in the form of x vs y amvs. like bleach. which is slower than dbz was. i mean heck, ichigos bankai is supposed to be a speed type, yet whenever he fights, it always looks like two people are practicing a choreography for a jackie chan movie. cant watch it unless someone speeds up the whole thing while its edited.

Skarigon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I'll start by saying the following:
I used to watch/read most of the mainstream shonen series, and five years down the line, the only one I can actually keep liking is One Piece. I'll try and explain why.
Naruto: boring arcs, incredibly shallow character development for most characters, doesn't really have a terribly interesting over-arching plot. It has been a really long while since I gave up on it though, it might have gotten better.
Bleach: a clusterfuck of an series with terrible cliches, horrible pacing, horribly imbalanced power levels and powers, and all in all, really bad writing.
Fairy Tail: seems like a rehash of Rune Master(or whatever the author's previous series was called) with terrible plot, terrible characters and horrible amounts of pointless fanservice. It didn't take me long before I hated it.
One Piece: generally simple looking overarching plot that serves mostly as a setting for a character-driven story. I don't really like the fanservice, but it's one of the few things I don't like about OP. Something that might turn people off of it is the slow pacing, but I think it is really necessary for a well fleshed-out story. Most villains in OP are sort of pastiches of actual evils that happen(ed) in our world, and teaching kids through an anime is a pretty cool thing.

If you're looking for shonen to read beyond these, read One-punch man, and Assassination Classroom.

But anyhow, if you're looking for actually really good anime, you'd do well to avoid most shonen and instead go watch masterpieces like Legend of the Galactic Heroes and Cowboy Bebop, or something more modern like Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, or heck, give something from this spring like Shingeki no Kyojin or Aku no Hana a watch.

Also, goddamn it, read Berserk, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure(ALL OF IT)

tl;dr: One Piece is my favorite of the "big" shonen series currently running, however there are many much better shows that have finished their run.

D

Deleted User

Read Tower of God!

omg yes tower of god i second this! its an amazing manga

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*Reads Thread*
01f.jpg

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I still read Fairytail, but I've given up hope after everyone came back alive from the island after 7 years.
I felt betrayed. that little kid standing with the fairytail's mark should've been the new main character.

About Naruto, I'm just waiting for it to end. LOL Sasuke cames out from nowhere(not in reader's POV but if you think about the other ninjas) and declares he wants to be Hokage, and almost everyone magically agrees.

One Piece plot really is slow, there's still very little known about the Will of D.(the only info is that some people has it in it's name and it's related to the lost century. that's it)
It's mostly the adventures of Luffy and his pirate crew as they discover more about the world. It has also been made clear that the crew prefer their adventures to continue rather than actually becoming a pirate king. In the Sabaody arc, Rayleigh offered to tell them about roger's treasure, but they refused because they wanted to discover it themselves. They're in it for the ride, not the glory. The Will of D, World Government, Dragon's Rebellion, it's just part of the path they are treading, not really their main objective.
Unlike the other Pirates in One Piece who actually wants to have power, they are just really more like adventurers who involves themselves in anything in front of them.
Their defeat from the Pacifistas and Bartolomew Kuma, and also the death of Portgas D. Ace slapped Luffy in the face that they are still too weak to actually tread the seas they wish to tread.

oh btw, i'm not sure if it's actually character development, but in the Ennie's Lobby arc, remember Usopp said he'll be leaving the crew because they will abandon Goin' Merry because it can no longer provide them safe travels. Luffy wanted to persuade Usopp since he is their friend, but Zorro and the others firmly said that if Luffy will be the one to beg, they will leave him since he's not fit to be captain. There even though it's painful Luffy had to stop himself because he has a position and order to maintain as a pirate crew.

In the end, I'm not sure if I worded everything properly but I hope you guys get what I mean.

p.s. i don't recall fairytail having much of a perverted character rivaling Sanji or Brook, maybe that's why it doesn't seem to fit much and feel forced.

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
To be fair, Naruto, Luffy, and Goku all do undergo major changes: Naruto goes from a hyperactive pain in the ass to a bitchy, arrogant pain in the ass, Luffy gets his ass kicked a dozen times and realizes he's UP as fuck, so he faces reality and fucks off for two years to train, and Goku becomes a soulless monster obsessed with fighting and getting stronger until he finally abandons his family to train the reincarnation of the very abomination that nearly slaughtered them all.

Character Development: It ain't all sunshine and roses.

You nailed Luffy and Naruto right on the head.

Goku's character development got flushed down the drain during the entire Buu Saga as we saw him get even dumber than he has ever been, which in reality isn't possible at all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi