Gaming Why does my PC emulate GC/Wii and PS2 so slowly

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A little LTTP, but I was thinking, if he has a laptop, there is a chance that the power saving options prevent him to fully use his processing power.
I had PC games running sluggish on my gaming laptop, and I had a noticeably increase in performance by modifying the windows power saving options to > Maximum Performace.
I had to do the same in the nVidia control panel basically.

All I'm saying, is that the default option usually limit the performance to save power, unless a different, high performance plan is chosen.
That might explain the big disparity with his friend's PC.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
LOL
You are right.
But it also mean Late To The Party ( since this tread has been going on for months )

You must not visit neogaf very often I presume.........;)
Nope. Too busy posting/trolling/slurking (haven't used that one in at least 5 years) at GBAtemp and HacksDen.

Anyway, thanks.

SAimNE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
apparently with the new drivers you can in fact crossfire an a10 with 7750. the scaling is pretty horrible overall, but that is most likely because it is being developed for richland not trinity(richland will use the same architecture)
there are other posts about it as well if you look for them... but they are over ran with people saying that it cant work. it seems amd already found a solution and is planning on announcing it with their richland apus to attempt an increase in sales.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
And I still don't see a GPU-Z validation link among my search.

And on the description it shows 3 GPUs under crossfire, which means beside APU and 7700 series there is another GPU.

For simplicity sake let's assume 2 x 7750, is it even possible to do iGPU + 2 x 7750? Pretty sure hybird corssfire only covers to 1 iGPU + 1 dGPU.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've found that AMD processors are generally "shite" with emulation. Everytime I had lags on an AMD system an equivalent Intel system had no problem running it.
Also the fact that your processor is almost a whole 1ghz slower clock speed than your friends system, not to mention the intel system probably has a faster bus speed and possibly more L2 and L3 cache.

I have no problems at all running emulators on my AMD, I am using an older CPU, too. AMD Phenom II x4 965 processor 3.4 GHz, maxed frames on PS2 and Gamecube using forced Vsync.

EDIT: Just saw how old this thread was... sorry for bringing you back from the dead!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The Phenom II series makes up for less instructions per clock cycle (compared to Intel) by having generally higher clock rates (which leads to more heat generated). They were a half decent series for gaming/emulation for its time.
The APU range on the other hand isn't quite so good at gaming, sacrificing clock rates for lower power consumption and instead focussing on the IGP. This approach dominates the low-mid budget gaming market because it works for most games.
I could mention Bulldozer too, but that series never lived up to its promise. It only secured Intel's position in the high-end market.

Reactions: Foxi4

Tuddles

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can build a really cheap pc now that can do modern games quite decent and emulators very well

In my Mario.bros. cab I run

i3 3220 ivy bridge
4GB ripjaw 1600 gskillz ram
EVGA GTX 650 superclocked
Asus p8z77-m pro MB
Acer led 1920x1080 screen
all running hyperspin and everything upto Wii @60fps and with using advanced pixel fillers/shaders and what not, and those parts are cheap you could build a whole pc based off them for under $500 including monitor and cheap case/psu (mail-in rebeates help).

attachment.php

So point is for emulation of upto Wii you don't need insane specs to hit 60fps and a budget build well do excellent imo

SAimNE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I still don't see a GPU-Z validation link among my search.

And on the description it shows 3 GPUs under crossfire, which means beside APU and 7700 series there is another GPU.

For simplicity sake let's assume 2 x 7750, is it even possible to do iGPU + 2 x 7750? Pretty sure hybird corssfire only covers to 1 iGPU + 1 dGPU.
as far as i know that still isnt possible, but it's possible it's a glich here... unfortunately of the reports of successful attempts this is the only one that had a video that i know about. Though when looking around there were several reports and 1 from someone who saw the claims and tried it for themselves. there is not much on it because amd has yet to announce anything about it, and people are assuming the hybrid crossfire is the same as it always was. Im guessing this is just a workaround amd found and it wont perform as well as the normal hybrids when it comes to scaling, but the timings for these are not surprising given that the drivers in question are going to be the standard drivers upon the release of richland(estimated june)...

if you cant believe it you can try it for yourself, but i have yet to see anyone who tried it recently(with beta drivers) say it doesnt work. just a lot of people stating that you cant crossfire with the 7000 series.... and to be entirely fair the only reason i looked around so much is because when i first saw it i thought it was a hoax :|. though since the results from everyone who had tried it recently appear to be unanimous, i decided to just consider it as preparation for richland and wait until that to find out exactly how it happened.

and about the apus being bad for gaming, again im using a mobile llano processor, and while i have to tweak it around a bit, i've been able to play pcsx2 using it and its igpu. the later editions of the apu support instruction sets that llano do not that make the emulation easier, and have a general increase of performance in both graphics and processing.... add in that on the desktop version you can clock it to almost 5ghz(twice my clock rate) if you have decent cooling. and that means you could pretty much triple my apus performance using an a10..... plus kaveri is supposed to be a massive step up, and even feature 6 core processors(which while the emulators wont use all the cores, it will leave more room for the gpu to work). As far as i see if you are willing to work with it apus are completely viable for emulation.....

and actually not seeing what the person im replying to was talking about with 2gpus the only thing in the description is a comparison of the 7750 not in dual graphics, the 7750 in dual graphics, and the 7750 paired with an i5.... adn other than that they just mention the integrated graphics(think its 7660 or something with this gen but i forget) and the sapphire 7750

also in video comments someone was saying they were able to do the same using an a8 trinity when they used the 13.4 catalyst drivers. again im not suggesting this as a viable option, tbh the a10 and the a8 igpus dont have much power compared to a 7750 and the scaling seems pretty bad atm

Last time I check you CANNOT crossfire 7750 with an APU.

Both Trinity and Richland are using VLIW4 from HD6000 series. HD7700+ series is using GCN instead. It is impossible to do crossfire on between VLIW4 and GCN together.

You have to wait for Kaveri (by then it will only crossfire with HD8000 series). In any case crossfire introduces too many problems that on low end GPU such as APU it is not worth it. Not to mentioned that emulators such as PCSX2 will never take advantage of crossfire.

Both SLI and Crossfire will only work on games that have respective profiles built into the driver, for those that don't your second GPU will be on idle during gaming.

and addressing this one directly. i've yet to be able to test the results of the crossfire 7750 myself, but there have been reports about it ever since people first started trying the 13.4 drivers. As for the crossfire you would be surprised about how well amd does with the dual graphics. i thought it would have hiccups as well but the amount of times i ran into anything like screen tearing and fps drops were very very rare. im not saying they dont exist, but they happen much less frequently with apus than most seem to believe.... and im on outdated hardware so they probably happen even less now. It's hard to believe when talking about a company thats almost famous for f'ing up its drivers, but the apu doesnt seem to run into compatibility errors. also with the new drivers pretty much any dx9, 10, or 11 game will run with dual graphics... you may encounter some that dont run well, and even an extremely rare case where the performance decreases), but speaking from experience for the most part you will see a pretty standard boost to your gaming

as for emulators utilizing it.... that may be but that's pretty irrelevant since pretty much any gpu on the market can handle an emulator..... like i was saying the a6-3420m im using(a llano, and not even the highest igpu of the bunch) handles what pcsx2 throws at it, so dual graphics isnt anything you even need to consider there..... and as far as i know no emulator around right now is intensive on the graphics side of things.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...chland-s-dual-graphics-gcn-compatibility.html

there is something covering richland(mobile versions, but it's still a crossfire across different architectures) , but as for the specifics of how it was actually accomplished the details arent really there.... anyway since they are the same architecture it's assumed trinitys abilities to crossfire with the 7750 are due to whatever they did for the richland,

also while i vouch for their current dual graphics, i really dont know how well whatever they did will workout... half because i dont have the specifics of it... and half because i still wouldnt understand it XD

it should also be mentioned that although it is apparently running with the a10s... it probably wouldnt be recommended to build based on it..... it would overall most likely have a lot of shortcomings... kinda like crossfiring the a6 with a 6670.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.