Gaming Why does BotW have an on-disc game update?

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
OP
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Why is the game disc set up with version 0.9.0 of the game on the disc's main partition, with a mandatory 2 GB update to 1.0.0 on a second partition of the disc?
Why would you not just have one partition that is the 1.0.0 version of the game?
Is it to install some things to the system memory for better performance?
Was the game "mastered" or pressed in two stages for some reason?
Is it an anti ODE/piracy measure?
The eShop version would just be 1.0.0 or 1.1.0, so what would be the benefit of making the disc like this?

tcrf.net says "it is still possible to run the rpx for 0.9.0 by moving the required 1.0.0 files and modifying the Version.txt in System." So that's cool. I wonder what the differences are.

edit; Sorry! Posted in wrong section. Requesting move.

D

Deleted-401606

Why is the game disc set up with version 0.9.0 of the game on the disc's main partition, with a mandatory 2 GB update to 1.0.0 on a second partition of the disc?
Why would you not just have one partition that is the 1.0.0 version of the game?
Is it to install some things to the system memory for better performance?
Was the game "mastered" or pressed in two stages for some reason?
Is it an anti ODE/piracy measure?
The eShop version would just be 1.0.0 or 1.1.0, so what would be the benefit of making the disc like this?

tcrf.net says "it is still possible to run the rpx for 0.9.0 by moving the required 1.0.0 files and modifying the Version.txt in System." So that's cool. I wonder what the differences are.

The world will never know lol.Its like the bermuda triangle.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The update is not on disc AFAIK, its online. They probably shipped 0.9, but finished the game as an update for 1.0.

it aboslutely is on disc, unless it's delivered through the use of invisible magic gnomes. My wii U was completely off the internet when I started playing and it updated before playing.

Stremon

Trophies
Website
jbbongrand.blogspot.fr
XP
Country
France
the update is made mainly for installing uncompressed stuff on the wiiu, to reduce lags I guess.
A bit like the option some late psp titles had to install a part of the content on the memory card to boost performances.

Last edited by Stremon,

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
the update is made mainly for installing uncompressed stuff on the wiiu, to reduce lags I guess.
A bit like the option some late psp titles had to install a part of the content on the memory card to boost performances.

The update simply put works as a Installation. Since Wii U unlike PS3, PS4 or xbox etc to certain extent doesn't have a system for Installations, this far every game has worked off it's disc without installations or digital download. Zelda requires a installation on internal storage for the better random access and better read times on some of the data, which is completely understandable for a game like BOTW. So, because Wii U does not have a system for mandatory installs, a Update is used instead.

If booted without any update data the game will launch to a notification message prompting you to install the "system update data" - though this means GAME update data, not system.

You can see this is the case given that the Switch version of the game is around 13 gigabytes in size. The Wii U version base game is 9.8 gigs and the update data is 2,3 - making the Wii U version main game and "update" combined almost 13 gigs.

Only other similar thing on Wii U was Xenoblade Chronicles X, which has optional DLC Disc version users can download for free which is actually just optional data that already exists on the disc, in your drive so the game will stream data on the world faster, reducing pop-ins etc.

The update on the disc is probably 0.9 or 1.0 and then on release day 1.1 was released and yesterday/today 1.1.1 came live it seems, those later updates are online and also include all the other data of the update because that is just how things need to be done in the Wii U land.

TL;DR: Because Wii U lacks a official method for installations to internal storage, update is used as one.

One very offtopic note is also that Zelda might be mapping into a "high memory mode" on Wii U, kinda like O3DS does with some games. I can't be entirely sure but the way the game is broken on CEMU combined with the fact how returning from home menu always results in the game loading for 10-30 seconds before returning to action would tell me that BOTW maps into the memory area games usually were not allowed to under nintendo regulations. Makes one think if Wii U stayed alive and more companies could have used the same trick.

Reactions: Heran Bago

lefthandsword

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
The update simply put works as a Installation. Since Wii U unlike PS3, PS4 or xbox etc to certain extent doesn't have a system for Installations, this far every game has worked off it's disc without installations or digital download. Zelda requires a installation on internal storage for the better random access and better read times on some of the data, which is completely understandable for a game like BOTW. So, because Wii U does not have a system for mandatory installs, a Update is used instead.

If booted without any update data the game will launch to a notification message prompting you to install the "system update data" - though this means GAME update data, not system.

You can see this is the case given that the Switch version of the game is around 13 gigabytes in size. The Wii U version base game is 9.8 gigs and the update data is 2,3 - making the Wii U version main game and "update" combined almost 13 gigs.

Only other similar thing on Wii U was Xenoblade Chronicles X, which has optional DLC Disc version users can download for free which is actually just optional data that already exists on the disc, in your drive so the game will stream data on the world faster, reducing pop-ins etc.

The update on the disc is probably 0.9 or 1.0 and then on release day 1.1 was released and yesterday/today 1.1.1 came live it seems, those later updates are online and also include all the other data of the update because that is just how things need to be done in the Wii U land.

TL;DR: Because Wii U lacks a official method for installations to internal storage, update is used as one.

One very offtopic note is also that Zelda might be mapping into a "high memory mode" on Wii U, kinda like O3DS does with some games. I can't be entirely sure but the way the game is broken on CEMU combined with the fact how returning from home menu always results in the game loading for 10-30 seconds before returning to action would tell me that BOTW maps into the memory area games usually were not allowed to under nintendo regulations. Makes one think if Wii U stayed alive and more companies could have used the same trick.
The base game has the .rpx for 0.9, but it's overridden by a newer version when you install the mandatory update from disc or Eshop CDN

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended