• Replies 108
  • Likes 1

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
A little correction, refresh rate and FPS are basically the exact same thing, only difference is that refresh rate has to do with the frequency crystal used for the screens, so while refresh rate is in Hz, it's the same as FPS (eg: rf of 60Hz is 60FPS). No need to separate those two. Also, while the picture supposedly shows the "difference", it's not really accurate. You can't compare 60 and 24FPS on the same screen all the time, as one of the two will actually get chopped because of round ups/downs. So you can only compare things like 30 and 60 on a 60Hz monitor (basically it needs to be dividable by the same number for both, so something like 30 and 60 in a 75Hz monitor aren't displayed properly and same goes if you are on 144 where everything needs to be at least slightly chopped distorted unless you resort to fill-ins).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fact that 60Hz = 60 fps is mainly because refreshing the screen at a 120Hz rate to show a 60 fps animation would be a waste of resources :P So it clearly strongly linked but not exactly the same.

As for the image, you're right, I should have precised that it's more a simulation of what you would see (same screen, same parameters) than actually two animations with different fps.

Reactions: ThoD

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry to interrupt such technical debate about 30fps vs 60fps, me to play overwatch on my Asus Rog swift 240hz monitor is like having orgasm whole the time compared ur console peasants 30/60, just saying, no offence ofc :) HAHAHAHAH

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Interesting. I heard that human eyes cannot perceive anything over 60 fps. Are you serious with your pilot statement?
that "eyes can only see 60fps\hz" is so bullshit.
from 120hz to 144 hz plenty of people don't notice a difference, but from 120hz to 240hz there is a noticable difference..

i curently have a 60hz monitor, but i really notice a difference in smoothness when checking the monitors in stores with higher fresh rates

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Well said, and so if your monitor had 120Hz refresh rate you could perfectly see the difference between 60FPS and 24FPS without chopping, and 120Hz is actually a quite common refresh rate.
Exactly. Also something to note, in the case of comparison videos on youtube, it should be mentioned that most browsers limit the framerate of videos to 30 (eg: Firefox), while others to 60 (eg: Chrome) and there may be some without a cap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fact that 60Hz = 60 fps is mainly because refreshing the screen at a 120Hz rate to show a 60 fps animation would be a waste of resources :P So it clearly strongly linked but not exactly the same.

As for the image, you're right, I should have precised that it's more a simulation of what you would see (same screen, same parameters) than actually two animations with different fps.
You are correct, it is not the exact same thing but it's very strongly linked to the point they are interchangable. In order to display higher/lower framerates, the frequency crystal inside gets a small over/underclock to match it. That means that while a monitor may be 120Hz, it won't really display that unless you set the FPS to that too. Refresh rate should match the FPS though to prevent distortions or other weird effects (V-sync does that exactly, making the FPS and refresh rate the exact same).

Sorry to interrupt such technical debate about 30fps vs 60fps, me to play overwatch on my Asus Rog swift 240hz monitor is like having orgasm whole the time compared ur console peasants 30/60, just saying, no offence ofc :) HAHAHAHAH
No worries about the interruption:P And play on as high as you want, when I was using a very high-spec monitor some time back I would emulate games like G3 Extreme on 500 FPS with a x2 speed cheat, best racing in my life!:rofl2:

Btw, for anyone wondering about what I said with the refresh rate and crystal, it goes all the way back to TVs and signals and is the same reason TVs in the US ran at 29.97FPS.

Reactions: Ritsuki
D

Deleted User

OP
Somewhat reminds me of arcade fighting game ports from the late 90s, especially PlayStation ports. In addition to longer load times, the PlayStation versions of these fighting games cut frames of animation from the arcade version due to technical limitations. As a result, many of said ports are considered as inferior to the arcade originals. This practice pretty much faded with the Dreamcast, which could pretty much produce arcade-perfect versions of fighting games.

Of course, the FPS of a game becomes more or less important depending on the genre/type of game it is. You wouldn't worry so much about FPS in a turn-based JRPG as you would in a fighting game or shooter, because while the latter two are more quick-reaction heavy (requiring a higher frame rate to give the player a better chance of reacting to something), the former allows you to take your time when making decisions (though this obviously becoming less and less the case).

That being said, around 15 FPS is the turning point for where the individual frames stop looking like a slide show and start looking like they're actually moving. So, personally, I'd say around 30 FPS is fine for modern, less reaction-based titles.

D

Deleted User

OP
It has to do with what you are used to too. If you have been using a screen with 30 FPS, you can't tell the difference by moving to 60 straight away, but if you are used to 60, it's glaringly obvious if you move down to 30. That's why people who play on consoles often claim they can't tell the difference. However, something like from 30 to 100+ is obvious for everyone with eyes.
That seemed to be the case for me.I couldn't tell exactly when moving from 30 to 60 on skyrim,but once I got used to 60 for a bit and went back down to 30 I saw the difference crystal clear.

Last edited by ,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
It has to do with what you are used to too. If you have been using a screen with 30 FPS, you can't tell the difference by moving to 60 straight away, but if you are used to 60, it's glaringly obvious if you move down to 30. That's why people who play on consoles often claim they can't tell the difference. However, something like from 30 to 100+ is obvious for everyone with eyes.

30 to 60 and 60 to 30 is night and day for me. On just about any display. Xx

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can easily tell the difference between 57fps and 60fps. I game at a constant 60fps, so losing anything more than 1 frame seems like huge stutter. 30fps is a slideshow to me, and anything under 45fps I consider unplayable.

Moving on from it just plain looking better, people who play at 30fps have a huge disadvantage in PC gaming. For example, when you're aiming down sights in a shooter, let's say you have X amount of milliseconds to line up your shot before the other person will shoot you and kill you. If you game at 120fps, you have 4x more frames to line up your shot and get it precisely on the target, assuming you have the reflexes and skills to back it up. Those at 30fps may find themselves shooting when they think is the right time, because you may either a little before or a little after your reticule is exactly on the target.

EDIT: Also, speaking of the MK8 frame drop, I can only notice it when bunnyhopping. I can't really see it otherwise

Last edited by DarkFlare69,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
60 FPS is old news. These days it's all about 120/144Hz.
I can definitely tell that a game isn't completely smooth at 30 or 40 FPS, it doesn't bother me too much, but it still makes me wish I had a better GPU.
On consoles I kind of don't mind because it's the best I'm going to get on that respective console anyway as upgrades aren't an option.
I can easily tell the difference between 57fps and 60fps. I game at a constant 60fps, so losing anything more than 1 frame seems like huge stutter. 30fps is a slideshow to me, and anything under 45fps I consider unplayable.

Moving on from it just plain looking better, people who play at 30fps have a huge disadvantage in PC gaming. For example, when you're aiming down sights in a shooter, let's say you have X amount of milliseconds to line up your shot before the other person will shoot you and kill you. If you game at 120fps, you have 4x more frames to line up your shot and get it precisely on the target, assuming you have the reflexes and skills to back it up. Those at 30fps may find themselves shooting when they think is the right time, because you may either a little before or a little after your reticule is exactly on the target.
That's different, that's more about the lag spikes/stuttering than it is about the FPS. If you were gaming at a constant 57 FPS instead, you likely would think you were gaming at 60FPS.
Stuttering and lag spikes are what kill the experience, not a slightly lower FPS.
For example, I would rather play at a constant 30 FPS than have it go between 35-50 FPS. Even though it's technically a lower FPS, it looks smoother.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything sub-12 will be probably considered 'unplayable' because the eye can distinguish between individual frames at that point.

mbcrazed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this topic, and how debateable it is! Honestly, it depends on the game for me. If I'm playing Dark Souls (The first one) then I want it at 30FPS. Playing it with a patch makes dodging, and other mechanics feel weird. Most of the time I prefer 60FPS, but if it's locked to 30, I'm not going to complain.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
The human eye doesn't see in frames. And we're capable of perceiving far more than 60FPS. Fuck, I used to game at sub 10FPS and find it enjoyable. Now I have decent hardware and anything below 60 is annoying, and below 30 is almost outright unplayable.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I like this topic, and how debateable it is! Honestly, it depends on the game for me. If I'm playing Dark Souls (The first one) then I want it at 30FPS. Playing it with a patch makes dodging, and other mechanics feel weird. Most of the time I prefer 60FPS, but if it's locked to 30, I'm not going to complain.
Well, that's cuz DS is borked lul

Reactions: TotalInsanity4
D

Deleted-379826

OP
The human eye doesn't see in frames. And we're capable of perceiving far more than 60FPS. Fuck, I used to game at sub 10FPS and find it enjoyable. Now I have decent hardware and anything below 60 is annoying, and below 30 is almost outright unplayable.
100% agreed.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It only matters in certain games. You can't really tell in things like Tales of Symphonia, but it is noticeable if you look at it side by side.

The easiest way to see the difference is to get Dark Souls 1, and dsfix. It lets you toggle between 60 and 30 FPS with a button press, and it is night and day how absolutely massive the difference is. You'll never ask the question again.

Generally you only actively notice lower framerates if you're dipping in frames. There's really no reason for a PC game to be capped at a lower FPS in this day and age though. The higher the FPS, the smoother it is. There's no arguing with it, that's just factual. Consoles have to because of their lower specs, so it at least has a reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2