Why do people go crazy over the nes and snes classic editions?

ezi0n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Its a childhood memory - I had pretty much any nintendo console with the exception of the WiiU and the Switch but had either to trade up or sell everything when relocating globally - this is a welcome replacement as its 'official' and thanks to Cluster allows to have all roms on official hardware and brand new ... loving it - hope similar things are possible with the snes classic and that Nintendo releases the N64 classic edition even though I got a CIB N64 and a N64 ultra hdmi here already ... just one of those things ... Because you can ... now you got the money to invest in them back then you were happy to trade up ...

Last edited by ezi0n,

Evilengine

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Because most people can't think rational and love to buy even more plastic shit.
I use my SNES Jr. RGB modded with SD2SNES, sold my collection of the best 200 SNES games, I don't care for nostalgia anymore. But like the authentic feeling of a CRT and non-emulation.

Reactions: cvskid

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's a collectors item. And like most collectors items, it's practically worthless for anyone who knows how to get far better emulators running on far more powerful systems. Unless you want to speedrun Star Fox 2 or you're seeking it out for its form factor, you would be better served with a Wii in most cases. Or whatever you have lying around - a Pi, a Wii U, a decent PC...

But, like most other entertainment gadgets (and also cryptocurrencies :P) it has value not because of anything intrinsic, but because of what people value it at. One man's trash...

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, nothing beats an official release with authentic controllers. I also have a RetroPie, but setting that thing up is a pain sometimes. Emulators aren't an exact science sometimes. The plug-and-play factor of the Classic can't be underestimated. Nostalgia factor is also a major part of it.

Reactions: SonicMC

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, nothing beats an official release with authentic controllers. I also have a RetroPie, but setting that thing up is a pain sometimes. Emulators aren't an exact science sometimes. The plug-and-play factor of the Classic can't be underestimated. Nostalgia factor is also a major part of it.

Yeah for authentic controllers!!!

Plus I'm hoping the snes classic controllers work on wii/wii u.

if you can find the snes classic at retail it is cheaper than importing two club nintendo snes classic controllers new.
https://www.amazon.com/Club-Nintend...506831039&sr=8-2&keywords=snes+wii+controller

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
1. not everybody is a pirate
2. the controller and ui are perfect
3. it's cute and collectable
4. raspberry pi, pc, phone etc. have no nostalgic value
5. raspberry pi, pc, phone etc. are not plug-n-play. not everybody is a teen or twenty-something nerd who is tech literate and wants to get their hands dirty with emulators and pirating roms. some people are parents, professionals, etc. who are not into that lifestyle and would rather plunk down $80 than give it a second thought. tl;dr, gbatemp.net is not representative of reality -- stop judging people's purchases based on what you or your in-group's comfort zone may be.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I mean it's $80 for 21 games. They're never going to add more games to it. You can't use physical snes carts. Why do people want this? You could get a refurbished Wii for less than $80, hack it, put snes9x gx on it, and have access to any snes game you want.
I sell Wiis soft-modded with a 4GB SD card, emulators out the ass, and it comes with a black+red theme. You supply your own ROMs though, but I can always add PD ROMs and cool PD tech demos. I buy them from Goodwill for $15 to $30, refurbish them myself, mod them, and sell them for $50 with 1 Wiimote and all cables+sensor bar. (I still have 6, and ship to anywhere in the U.S.A.)

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: SonicMC

johnbus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people are not tech-savvy enough to easily set up their own custom retro game system, or even be trusted to use one someone else set up. This site (or at least the userbase) is largely dedicated to hacking and modifying game consoles that major industry giants spend millions of dollars to lock down in both hardware and software. The (arguably few) major security breaches that people have made over the years is a testament to the ability of the community's prowess.

Nintendo wants to simplify their systems so that anyone can play them. That is their business model. The ease of use of the Classic series allows anyone, from young children to the elderly, to try out some of their back catalogue while avoiding unnecessary frustrations. It would be difficult to fault them given their financial success.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want an nes and snes classic, but that's because I'm a retro gamer at heart. I don't like many new games which is why I play the wii u almost exclusively. I'm a purist though. the only thing not pure about my setup is that I use a retro console to boot up games. I use the cartridges and the controllers though which I think is the way to play these games despite the fact that I want the classics.

edit: I use a retro console due to space and the fact that it can output to hdmi. my tv can't support those older resolutions from psx and back. I need a framemeister to do so.

Last edited by godreborn,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
1. not everybody is a pirate
2. the controller and ui are perfect
3. it's cute and collectable
4. raspberry pi, pc, phone etc. have no nostalgic value
5. raspberry pi, pc, phone etc. are not plug-n-play. not everybody is a teen or twenty-something nerd who is tech literate and wants to get their hands dirty with emulators and pirating roms. some people are parents, professionals, etc. who are not into that lifestyle and would rather plunk down $80 than give it a second thought. tl;dr, gbatemp.net is not representative of reality -- stop judging people's purchases based on what you or your in-group's comfort zone may be.

Great reply, I couldn't have thought or said it any better.

All I have seen since Friday is grown up men shit posting and whining on FB retro gaming groups about this and others constantly wanting to shove Raspberry Pi's down your throat at the same time.

It was the same with the NES classic too.

Reactions: godreborn

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because they are cute. /s
Honestly the best answer. I tried setting up a RetroPi system only to end up with a janky mess showing the very best of Linux's UI cohesion - something that would only make me look like a dork to friends and family that I show it to but can't figure out the magic combinations for all the features.

The NES/SNES Classics are very well designed, with the hardware looking like a prefect scaled replica and the OS being completely refined and integrated with no poorly designed afterthoughts badly shoehorned in.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unrelated post, but I had been playing a link to the past's cartridge. I remember beating it as a kid. however, this time, I got lost on either the third or the forth dungeon in the dark world. it's the one where you're in the place you got the master sword in the light world. lol. the most expensive game I own is dragon view at around $20. I love that game. I wish I could buy Mega Man X3 and Mega Man 7. I have carts of the rest of 'em. however, those games cost like $100 apiece. I bought the games for the wii u, just to play them.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean it's $80 for 21 games. They're never going to add more games to it. You can't use physical snes carts. Why do people want this? You could get a refurbished Wii for less than $80, hack it, put snes9x gx on it, and have access to any snes game you want.

My question is why the living hell do you care if other people want one or not?

Does it affect your everyday life? Does it stop you from getting life saving medicine? Did it kick your dog?

Why do people like you give two flying F**ks what other people want?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo made a quality item, probably the biggest complaint is the chosen games for the system or even the fact there is only 21 game and the price, and maybe how short the controller cable is... and no button to get home menu on by default. But it works, easy, simple, and in HD, and while against someone's will, probably gonna be hacked to put other preferred games on it and even scalped to no end.

Besides the last part, is a collectors item and a quality novelty product for family and friends for people 25 years older since it was a deal. Is not a terrible product, but is true there is other options like virtual console with more options for games on wii or wii u (or 3ds if you like portable gaming) and i'm talking legitimate means here, or buying a actual snes or some mock system like retron5, and actual carts, though the carts seem to be higher priced for some demanding lots of money. Either way, is acknowledged is quality work on both is emulation and presentation and hardware, and only people who actually enjoy their childhood would enjoy it with a friend.

Honestly i appreciate compilations, there plenty of games on there, that many probably don't even know about and wouldn't have cared to try, sonic ultimate genesis collection has beyond oasis, I never knew about it but it is a very good game and glad to play it now that it was bundled with other games like, sonic the hedgehog, kid chameleon, streets of rage, dr robotnik mean bean machine, shining force, and phantasy star. Compilations are good thing to some people. Buying one, you may find something you would enjoy, and even if you don't you still have stuff you sure you can enjoy. :)

Reactions: godreborn

MrTea

Trophies
XP
Country
I love the form factor and builds of the official products, plus the joy pads are amazing. Another big positive over a raspberry pi (or any other way of emulating a game) is the boot time of the nes and snes mini is instant (just like the original consoles) whilst on a pi you're looking at least a minute of it booting and display flash screens!

I've got a pi too for arcade games etc but I'll Happy pick up these official Nintendo products as they are extremely well made.

Last edited by MrTea,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I've never understood why people want to pay so much for generic ARM devices in a fancy shell.

If it were using an FGPA, it might be worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr