Why do people buy the latest iPhone/Samsung when they own last year's model?

• Thread starter Saiyan Lusitano
  • Start date
  • Views 3,084
  • Replies 37
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
Call me an old timer but I don't understand the point in buying the newest model every year knowing that another iPhone/Samsung/etc will be released. Well, moreso to the point that they tend to be really expensive and to me that seems too much for a phone.

My eldest sister for example owns an iPhone SE, iPhone 6, iPad Mini (her daughter broke the screen in half), Samsung Galaxy S7 and recently bought the iPhone 6S (or maybe it was iPhone 7.. they all look the same to me). She asked for my opinion before about it but obviously didn't matter since she bought it anyway.

The thing is, these phones are all relatively new still so they're not outdated by any means to be slow or what have you. I guess it's part of the trend to be 'in' like everyone else.

iPhones are of high quality-build so it's not as though they'd last only for a year or two, they're built to last.

D

Deleted User

OP
I want to upgrade my iPhone from the 6s to the 7 Plus. The 6s does everything I want it to, but I want a bigger screen for gaming and a faster CPU is a nice bonus. Given the amount of money this would cost me I'm not going to bother. I'll probably pick up the 7s in a few years time.

Zero72463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to upgrade my iPhone from the 6s to the 7 Plus. The 6s does everything I want it to, but I want a bigger screen for gaming and a faster CPU is a nice bonus. Given the amount of money this would cost me I'm not going to bother. I'll probably pick up the 7s in a few years time.

I heard they were just going to 8.

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
It's usually because of the new added functions and other specs of the phone.
Most of them don't use those functions fully sadly... My mother wanted an S8 for honestly 5 stuff

• Facebook
  • Hay Day(Game)
  • SMS
  • Pandora
  • Pics
She wouldn't even lock her phone with a password or fingerprint lock

At the end we convinced her to get a Galaxy A7, and I made her use a fingerprint lock

Reactions: HoroHoro

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
iPhone 7 sort of takes away than add.
I don't really understand why apple fans do it, but most new android phones usually get more improved features compared to the prior versions.

For example, right now I have a Samsung galaxy S6. I could stay with the S6, but there are features in the S7 that make it seem like a good reason to upgrade (and there's not that many Cons (compared to the Pros).

For Apple fans it's probably the same + hype generated by Apple.

Reactions: HoroHoro

rileysrjay

Connoisseur of all things Morshu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm one of those Android purists (meaning I like pure Android: no bloatware, not even carrier bloatware) and happily have a Nexus 6p. I usually try to upgrade at least once every two years at the very least. I really don't see the point in buying a new phone every year. It's just the mentality of having the best there is I guess.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I usually end up staying like 2-3 years behind for a few reasons

A) cheaper to buy, I hate when people say "oh my phone was free on contract".....no....no it wasn't, your paying for it slowly over 2 years at double the retail price in most cases

B) less costs if anything breaks, nothing worse than getting a nice £500 phone only to crack the screen a month later and facing a £200 repair bill (I see people's faces drop when I tell them how much it's gonna cost to fix their phone), I like having a cheaper phone that I can repair for minimal costs if anything does go wrong or just replace with no major butt hurt if it's lost/unfixable

C) less desirable to thieves, when you hear crazy stories about people getting attacked for their phone (although it's less common now with activation locks etc) I still wouldn't want to be flashing a £500 phone around in some area's call me paranoid but I would prefer to never be faced with someone willing to attack me just so I can appear rich by flashing the latest phone every year

but recently got a really really good deal on a s7 edge, so that's probably the closest I have been to keeping up with the latest phones, funny enough I got it as my friend just bought out the contract and got the new galaxy s8

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few reasons:

- Many people get phones under contract. Once the new model comes out, they often have an option to upgrade for a fee
- Some people get the latest model of the brand of their choice then resell the old one when the new comes out. In a way, they are effectively pay less. With covers and screen protectors, it's very possible to make a phone look like brand new after a year of daily usage
- Some people like to have the most up-to-date hardware there is. Also they receive more support
- Some people have problems with the previous hardware models and they are looking for an improvement.

Or I could write that they are dumb and you are the best because you still have a Galaxy S2. Whatever you want to hear.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I usually end up staying like 2-3 years behind for a few reasons
less desirable to thieves, when you hear crazy stories about people getting attacked for their phone (although it's less common now with activation locks etc) I still wouldn't want to be flashing a £500 phone around in some area's call me paranoid but I would prefer to never be faced with someone willing to attack me just so I can appear rich by flashing the latest phone every year
I 100% understand you, but I hate thinking like that. A lot of people will quickly ship to victim-blaming because the person that was attacked "dared" to have something expensive with them. What the hell.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
A few reasons:

- Many people get phones under contract. Once the new model comes out, they often have an option to upgrade for a fee
- Some people get the latest model of the brand of their choice then resell the old one when the new comes out. In a way, they are effectively pay less. With covers and screen protectors, it's very possible to make a phone look like brand new after a year of daily usage
- Some people like to have the most up-to-date hardware there is. Also they receive more support
- Some people have problems with the previous hardware models and they are looking for an improvement.

Or I could write that they are dumb and you are the best because you still have a Galaxy S2. Whatever you want to hear.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I 100% understand you, but I hate thinking like that. A lot of people will quickly ship to victim-blaming because the person that was attacked "dared" to have something expensive with them. What the hell.
I will not apologise for realising we don't live in lollipop land

The thing with all this "victim blaming" bs is that it tries to negate that we don't live in some perfect utopia, that maybe if we all just leave out door open and flash out valuable nothing bad will ever happen, if your that naive you really need to grow up

At no point am I saying the theif is justified or right or anything other than a arsehole but seriously you can't honestly pretend to not understand that bad people target people who show a lack of awareness or have very valuable items openly on display

Again, not saying they aren't arseholes but you just have to see that we live in a world with a mixed bunch of people, most are nice, some are really really not, if me sticking with a s5/s6 can make me a less desirable victim to the bad guy they hey I'm glad

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: Garblant

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I didnt see anyone actually mention what damn near 50% of people are using now...

There are two types of phones paid meaning you spent the full purchase price to OWN or a lease payment

Most phones are LEASES like a car and those people dont pay for the cell phone in full they just make a 15 to 20 dollar payment on top of their service

Most services like sprint allow you to upgrade from one flagship phone to the next after 12 on time payments...

So unless you enjoy spending 800$ once a year only to throw your old cell in a drawer instead of recycling or donating it you likely dont even own your phone

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
some just have a contract that gives them the latest model every year for free or a very small sum, leaving them with a device with more power and better batterylife.
others sell their old device to finance the new one or pass the old one off to a child or spouse who they'd buy a new one anyways.

and some just have that money and want to own pretty things. or feel better than someone else based on the phone as a status thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s