Hacking Why do flashcarts have timebombs?

astrangeone

Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Built in stuff to kill your hardware? It's for money reasons. I remember back in the 2000's (ish?), I ended up picking up a DS flashcart when I was in Hong Kong (because I ran out of things to play. My 3DS was stock, and I had RE: Revelations/RE: The Mercs. And the modding scene hadn't figured out a way to crack the 3DS yet. (Except for the ridiculous Sky3DS, which cost like $200 Canadian to purchase.) The DS flashcart was a knockoff R4i, and was ridiculously cheap. $20 Hong Kong = less than $3 Canadian. I bet if I haggled, I could have gotten it cheaper.

(YES, MY DATES ARE WRONG...)

This is why nds-card even makes money off of the flashcarts, even with free shipping. ($14.99 Canadian each for their cheapest option?) Yes.

It's easier for the flashcart factories to blow up their own cards than wait for them to die. (Considering that my original Acekard 2i lasted for decades. I brought it back after it died the first time by baking it in a low oven. and then the spring died.)

Last edited by astrangeone,

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Built in stuff to kill your hardware? It's for money reasons. I remember back in the 2000's (ish?), I ended up picking up a DS flashcart when I was in Hong Kong (because I ran out of things to play. My 3DS was stock, and I had RE: Revelations/RE: The Mercs. And the modding scene hadn't figured out a way to crack the 3DS yet. (Except for the ridiculous Sky3DS, which cost like $200 Canadian to purchase.) The DS flashcart was a knockoff R4i, and was ridiculously cheap. $20 Hong Kong = less than $3 Canadian. I bet if I haggled, I could have gotten it cheaper.

This is why nds-card even makes money off of the flashcarts, even with free shipping. ($14.99 Canadian each for their cheapest option?) Yes.

It's easier for the flashcart factories to blow up their own cards than wait for them to die. (Considering that my original Acekard 2i lasted for decades. I brought it back after it died the first time by baking it in a low oven. and then the spring died.)
SKY3DS...... in 2000?

I dont think SKY3DS launched until 2015.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The

The flashcards don't get killed on a hardware level. The kernel simply shows an error instead of the menu. It can be bypassed very easily.
I think that you fucked up the timing a bit :D 3DS was released 2011 and the first 3ds flashcard was gateway 3ds. I think that it came 2013.

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A list with flashcards without timebombs would be very long. It's easier to make a list of flashcards with a timebomb (only the confirmed ones, there might be others).
The following flashcards are known to have a timebomb:
-All 2014 and upwards cards from r4isdhc.com
-R4i 3DS RTS from r4i-sdhc.com
-R4i 3DS B9S from r4i-sdhc.com
-R4i Gold 3DS from r4i-gold.eu (only the ones with the touch bomberman icon)

i have a 2016 one from r4isdhc.com and so far it works noice

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yeah, but set the date to 2020 and it won't boot any more. Tho you can set the date back and it will work again.

lol i wont be using the 3ds in 2020 anymore, that i guarantee you. and yes, i know you can set the time back so that it works (though i once bought a r4 that had a timebomb and it didnt boot even after setting the date back :unsure:)

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
Is anybody really surprised? These factories don't care about quality, they just want to produce their product with their gimmick and ship it ASAP. You're better off with an Everdrive, if they ever decide to get into the DS/3DS market.

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is anybody really surprised? These factories don't care about quality, they just want to produce their product with their gimmick and ship it ASAP. You're better off with an Everdrive, if they ever decide to get into the DS/3DS market.

what market? the 3ds is dead

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So were all the consoles they produced flashcards for so far. Your point being...?
my point is, both markets are dead, lol

the only reason they still make new cards and such is because nintendo didnt replace the 3DS per se, since the Switch is not a portable console
maybe im a bit biased since the 3DS never really existed in my country lol

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There is no DS everdrive.
And it's argueable whether it makes more sense to buy an everdrive or an EZ-Flash IV/Redux for GBA.

Last edited by Technicmaster0,

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
There is no DS everdrive.
And it's argueable if it makes more sense to buy an everdrive than a EZ-Flash IV/Redux for GBA.
if
ɪf/
conjunction
conjunction: if
  1. 1.
    introducing a conditional clause:
    synonyms: on condition that, provided (that), providing (that), presuming (that), supposing (that), assuming (that), on the assumption that, allowing (that), as long as, given that, with the provision/proviso that, with/on the understanding that, if and only if, contingent on, in the event that, allowing that
    "if the weather is fine, we can walk to the village"
    antonyms: unless
    • on the condition or supposition that; in the event that.
      "if you have a complaint, write to the director"
    • (with past tense) introducing a hypothetical situation.
      "if you had stayed, this would never have happened"
    • whenever; every time.
      "if I go out she gets nasty"
      synonyms: whenever, every time
  2. 2.
    despite the possibility that; no matter whether.
    "if it takes me seven years, I shall do it"
  3. 3.
    (often used in indirect questions) whether.
    "he asked if we would like some coffee"
    synonyms: whether, whether or not
    "I wonder if he noticed"
  4. 4.
    expressing a polite request.
    "if I could just use the phone, I'll get a taxi"
  5. 5.
    expressing an opinion.
    "that's a jolly long walk, if you don't mind my saying so"
  6. 6.
    expressing surprise or regret.
    "well, if it isn't Frank!"
  7. 7.
    with implied reservation:
    • and perhaps not.
      "the new leaders have little if any control"
    • used to admit something as being possible but relatively insignificant.
      "if there was any weakness, it was naivety"
    • despite being (used before an adjective or adverb to introduce a contrast).
      "she was honest, if a little brutal"
      synonyms: although, albeit, but, even though, even if, despite being, in spite of being, yet, whilst
      "a useful, if unintended innovation"
noun
noun: if; plural noun: ifs
a condition or supposition.
"there are so many ifs and buts in the policy"
synonyms: uncertainty, doubt, lack of certainty, hesitation, vagueness;
condition, stipulation, provision, proviso, constraint, prerequisite, precondition, requirement, specification, restriction, supposition, modification
"there is of course one if in all this"

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
if
ɪf/
conjunction
conjunction: if
  1. 1.
    introducing a conditional clause:
    synonyms: on condition that, provided (that), providing (that), presuming (that), supposing (that), assuming (that), on the assumption that, allowing (that), as long as, given that, with the provision/proviso that, with/on the understanding that, if and only if, contingent on, in the event that, allowing that
    "if the weather is fine, we can walk to the village"
    antonyms: unless
    • on the condition or supposition that; in the event that.
      "if you have a complaint, write to the director"
    • (with past tense) introducing a hypothetical situation.
      "if you had stayed, this would never have happened"
    • whenever; every time.
      synonyms: whenever, every time
  2. 2.
    despite the possibility that; no matter whether.
    "if it takes me seven years, I shall do it"
  3. 3.
    (often used in indirect questions) whether.
    "he asked if we would like some coffee"
    synonyms: whether, whether or not
    "I wonder if he noticed"
  4. 4.
    expressing a polite request.
    "if I could just use the phone, I'll get a taxi"
  5. 5.
    expressing an opinion.
    "that's a jolly long walk, if you don't mind my saying so"
  6. 6.
    expressing surprise or regret.
    "well, if it isn't Frank!"
  7. 7.
    with implied reservation:
    • and perhaps not.
      "the new leaders have little if any control"
    • used to admit something as being possible but relatively insignificant.
      "if there was any weakness, it was naivety"
    • despite being (used before an adjective or adverb to introduce a contrast).
      "she was honest, if a little brutal"
      synonyms: although, albeit, but, even though, even if, despite being, in spite of being, yet, whilst
      "a useful, if unintended innovation"
noun
noun: if; plural noun: ifs
a condition or supposition.
"there are so many ifs and buts in the policy"
synonyms: uncertainty, doubt, lack of certainty, hesitation, vagueness;
condition, stipulation, provision, proviso, constraint, prerequisite, precondition, requirement, specification, restriction, supposition, modification
"there is of course one if in all this"
Thanks, I'm not a native speaker.

Omer

Trophies
XP
Country
does gateway blue card have time bomb too ? I tried to make the time 2025 and the card worked flawlessly

Last edited by Omer,
Reactions: cvskid

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alright,, so I got an r4i-schc 2016 gold pro card, that I have kept the time on my 3ds always saying it's the year 2016 so it doesn't brick,, so,, I read on the front page of this thread, something about ysmenu.. can I use that with that card so I can actually have the right date on my 3ds?? and what do I put ysmenu on? the flashcart?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended