Gaming Why do 3DS games all have a code on the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janthran

Solarian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My copy of MK7 says "AMKEY10221" on the back, with no other references.
SSFIV has "ASSE210201".. I'll post more here if there's a point, but really, what are they for?
Are they the same for different copies of the same cartridge?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Technically this could be something that's used for identifying unique carts. It could even be part of an online protection system. If for some reason someone manages to hack the 3DS and everyone started to use a certain key, banning that key could make the problem go away. Or possibly make it impossible for 2 people with the same code to be online at the same time.. No one knows :P

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm guessing the first letter is region, 2nd and 3rd are game identifiers. No idea what the rest is :(
The first character isn't the region, though I'm guessing the 4th is either region or country related. My UK copy of SFIV has the code ASSP210082 vs Janthran's ASSE210201 and plasma dragon's ASSE210133. All my other games have the letter P as the fourth character. Note that this is not unique to 3DS games, all my DS games have the same codes. They all begin with the letter A and have P, with the exception of two US imports which have E in place of P.

Mystery solved, it's probably just a serial number – you get one one almost all consumer electronic products.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
It's probably just a batch number or something else to do with the manufacture, not anything useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: should I troll @SylverReZ today