Hardware Why did your Wiikey 1.9b update fail?

Why did your Wiikey 1.9b update fail?

• Have a clone Wiikey (or just found out)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Connections/wiring were missing

• Connections/wiring were loose

• It was a bad Wiikey chip

• Something with the Wii drive (e.g. chipset D2B, D2C)

• Blame the Wii firmware version (e.g. v3.1)

• Used bad media (e.g. worked with a new disc)

• Don't know

• Don't care

• Other (can you think of something else :)

• Total voters

FreddeX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Of course, my Wiikey 1.9b update failed. I got the error message "Test failed ... Check your connections and try again" (or similar). This poll is for those getting this "Test failed ..." message, especially if you were able to figure out why it happened.

Me, I haven't got a clue why it fails. I bought my Wii with Wiikey pre-installed. The company guarantees it's a genuine Wiikey and they have no clue (they are supposed to be good, i.e. probably not a bad wiring job). I'll have to send it in for them to look at it, but ... I'm too tired to do that now.

BTW, is there any reason why it wouldn't work from a DVD+RW, the only thing I buy/use, as compared to a DVD-R? I can't see why, but that's basically my only option before sending it in - could try a Wii shake also
wink.gif
Don't give me the tip about pulling out the disc just before starting test/upgrade - it does not upgrade your Wiikey.

I hope someone knows.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Mine actually worked, but it messed up my wii..... I burned it using TDK DVD-R's at maximum speed (16x). Now I have a wii that cannot read any disc (burned or originals).

ejp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Apologies - went into the detail of pulling out the disc, the OP has already said this doesn't work.

Soz

bleh124

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Wii here won't update also, getting same error as TS "Test failed ... Check your connections and try again" (or similar)
Did that swap disc method but that was just a hoax.
Didn't have the tools or time to check wires, the installer who did the modding is currently moving to new place so he hasn't time either but he said that it hardly can't be the soldering , he's doing it for 10 years now so i doubt it's a n00b in it.

Did some research on why it could fail and i only get different answers so if any 1 has the 1 and only true solution? pls post here....

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I haven't tried installing it. I'll install the update which allows me to play Mario Galaxy whenever it's released. But I can say since I installed the wiikey into my wii the dvddrive has started making much louder noices and original gamecube games (only noticed on bomberman generation so far) have had problems ocationally.

oh and modshroom128 have some understanding. it's not fun having a lot of money and time spent, all gone for nothing just like that.

ejp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just out of interest will a wiikey that is already at 1.9 test and flsh ok?

I've got two wii's, both modded with the dumped 1.9 hex burnt to an atmel and both give the test failed message - is this normal if you try to update a 1.9 to 1.9 or is there a problem with both of my installs?

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
flashing any device carries a risk of failure, wiikey do have a recovery disc available for you to download and use incase your flash fails. The only logical reasoning for those connection errors are bad installations, afaik.

My friend installed both his and mine in our wiis, and the updates ran fine both times, with no errors whatsoever.

good luck in finding a solution, but I think you may need to consider reinstalling the wiikey - but i'm no expert either.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
Mine actually worked, but it messed up my wii..... I burned it using TDK DVD-R's at maximum speed (16x). Now I have a wii that cannot read any disc (burned or originals).

lol pwnd

Modshroom128, STFU, go troll somewhere else.

Even though what modshroom said was kinda pointless and kinda mean it still doesn't justify you for goin' all berserk fool =P

Oh and btw...what does troll mean?
huh.gif

Edit: Oh and my update went fine...but I had no idea that updating it was such a risky deal
rofl2.gif

SuperGeek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though what modshroom said was kinda pointless and kinda mean it still doesn't justify you for goin' all berserk fool =P

Oh and btw...what does troll mean?Â
huh.gif

Edit: Oh and my update went fine...but I had no idea that updating it was such a risky dealÂ
rofl2.gif

He's been flaming and trolling around these forums, he's a bit of a jerk, and I've had it with him...that's why I "went berserk". lol

Oh, and this is what "troll" means:

Wikipedia: Troll (Internet)

Dafluke24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Have you tried to use the 1.2 setup disc again? Maybe flashing the chip reset something on there. Good luck. I updated to 1.9b last night without problems. I'm using a Wiikey clone.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

Have you tried to use the 1.2 setup disc again? Maybe flashing the chip reset something on there. Good luck. I updated to 1.9b last night without problems. I'm using a Wiikey clone.
Actually, I haven't tried the 1.2 config disc, but I'm assuming it won't be read either, seeing as how 1.3 doesn't read. NOTHING reads. Anyway I'll try the 1.2 config disc and I'l report back to see if it fixed anything.

Stu L Tissimus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I too had the connection failed error with 1.9b. I re-soldered the thing, and I ordered it from a listed distributor on the WiiKey website (ModChipStore). However, I tried 1.9g and it worked! I haven't tested Super Mario Galaxy yet but Battalion Wars II ran fine after I updated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: