Hardware Why couldn't the switch dock load sideways?

• Thread starter Deleted-355425
  • Start date
  • Views 8,965
  • Replies 68

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it was designed like that from the front, and the developers are already accounting for that. If they only had portable mode to work with they would never be able to optimize their games for docked mode. And now you want Nintendo to magically come out with a "Dock Plus" mode that the developers never got a chance to work with? That would fail horribly. If Nintendo ever comes out with a console only Switch it will max out at th power level of rhe regular switch when docked.
I mean the PS4 Pro is literally just that. All developers would need to do is push an update to allow their games to have their framerates unlocked if the new hardware is detected

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And how many developers have done that? Last I checked games that came out before the Pro at most have a little extra post processing, maybe even upscaling to 4k if you're lucky. The fact of the matter is that it's a little bit more complicated than that, and once the game is finished the developers don't bother going back to revise it unless they are doing bug fixes or trying to sell you dlc.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also, unlocked frame rates is a horrible idea. A solid 30fps is far better than constantly jumping between 35-59fps

Dr.Hacknik

Ashley | Developer | Trans
Trophies
Website
dochacknik.keybase.pub
XP
Country
United States
I have plenty of Room for the Switch.

LicygFc.jpg

kskkX1W.jpg

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine if you were able to connect a normal Switch to a screenless home console only Switch and play 3DS and Wii U games with the normal Switch acting as the touch screen/Gamepad.
Instead of a SteamLink a NintendoLink? $20 on sale over the holidays. :) Would just need to power the Switch for 1080/60fps. :)

Edit: on second thought this would just be a mirror, not a real dual screen.

Last edited by thorasgar,
Reactions: Quantumcat

AlexanderLS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys are basically describing a 2ds.
Keep in mind how low res the 3ds is.
It's not worth the time/effort.
The 3ds is cool if you actually use the 3d but if you don't it is just a low res/weak gaming system.
If I didn't use the 3d I would've got another PSP Go as it's graphics look very nice on it's screen and has a very good array of home brew available to it. Also IMO it is far more portable than the 3ds.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

When I had my Wii and WiiU on the TV unit, they were always vertically placed but with the Switch I don't see this happening because, I wouldn't want to damage the screen or accidentally drop it. If I were to keep it exactly how they show on the ads it would block some of the TV image as I don't have too much space currently although if my TV was mounted to the wall it'd be perfectly fine.

The ideal solution would be:
- Nintendo Switch *Model 2-A* Home Console Edition
- Nintendo Switch *Model 2-B* Handheld Gaming Edition

Reactions: thorasgar

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I had my Wii and WiiU on the TV unit, they were always vertically placed but with the Switch I don't see this happening because, I wouldn't want to damage the screen or accidentally drop it. If I were to keep it exactly how they show on the ads it would block some of the TV image as I don't have too much space currently although if my TV was mounted to the wall it'd be perfectly fine.

The ideal solution would be:
- Nintendo Switch *Model 2-A* Home Console Edition
- Nintendo Switch *Model 2-B* Handheld Gaming Edition

Glue the switch into the dock. Problem solved :D ........... lol

And for the people that thing the dock does something. It does nothing. Nintendo will not make a pro dock or anything like that. The dock is simply a TV out cable.
The reason the switch runs better dock, is due to the fact that its giving power output to the switch.Which means it can run at full clock without worrying about draining the battery.
If you plug up a charge cable to the switch in handheld mode, it would run at full processor clock.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glue the switch into the dock. Problem solved :D ........... lol

And for the people that thing the dock does something. It does nothing. Nintendo will not make a pro dock or anything like that. The dock is simply a TV out cable.
The reason the switch runs better dock, is due to the fact that its giving power output to the switch.Which means it can run at full clock without worrying about draining the battery.
If you plug up a charge cable to the switch in handheld mode, it would run at full processor clock.
It will be interesting to see if that offers any noticeable performance improvement in handheld mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night