Why cant you get a GC game onto a wbfs drive?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by afdude, Aug 2, 2009.

Aug 2, 2009
    • Newcomer

afdude New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    just curious whats the reason you cant transfer a GC image to a wbfs drive? (wii games are just fine of course and not the issue). The reason I ask is because if your dvd drive has failed, and your softmodded, what possible way can you get a GC game to load and play if you cant use your usb wbfs drive? thanks for your time.

JKR Firefox Back.

Message Count:
    Canada
    Because it isn't possible to play GC games through the USB Loaders ATM. Why put games on the HD that cannot be used? I'm sure that when the USB Loaders are able to run GC backups, it will be made possible, but for now, it's pointless.

illinialex24 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Because the loader isnt made to load them, IE, they need to create a new loader for those games and likely merge the 2, but atm its worthless.
    • Newcomer

pcrash12 New Member

Message Count:
    Canada
    I thought coverflow had this offered in one of there updates a while back? Maybe just dreaming it up, but I swear that was stated.

Seyiji :3

Message Count:
    United States
    Maybe it has something to do with Gamecube mode shutting down usb support :\
    • Newcomer

PopSmith New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Yes, AFAIK a new cIOS would keep the USB ports active in GameCube mode. This would allow a USB Loader with GC support. However, it will probably be quite a while before GC support is implemented. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the Wii developers are working on implementing GC support for a USB Loader, but it will definitely be a while before it's working.

illinialex24 New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    I doubt it because many original Wii games dont have USB support at all and work fine on a USB Loader. Might be the difference from cIOS to cMIOS but I doubt it as well.

Dialexio we !# r of #tea !

Message Count:
    United States
    GameCube games require MIOS to play on a Wii due to lack of any security features (no encryption, no signatures...). MIOS lets such unsigned code run, but in turn it limits access to mimic the GameCube. This means the USB ports, SD slot, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and the sensor bar cannot be accessed in MIOS. The processor and GPU speed gets clocked down to the GameCube's processing power also.

tl;dr version: In GameCube mode, the Wii cannot even see the USB ports. If the ports can't be seen, nothing can be read from it.

Theoretically, if a cMIOS is made with hacked-in USB modules (don't expect it for a few years at least), it could lead to USB loading.