Gaming why can't I find a dsi mother board

evie04

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I replaced the top screen on my kids dsi and in the final stages of putting it back together broke off the p6 flap. Not real smooth on my part. My sodering skills are pretty good but I'm pretty sure not THAT good. I'll give it a shot at $0.99 but I'm not holding my breath. Basically this means a new motherboard and I can not for the life of me find one for less than $20. Now I can find lite and dsi-xl boards all day long for less than $10 but for some reason orginal dsi boards are eluding me.

So the problems are:

1. Is there a place to get a dsi motherboard on the cheap? (I've replaced charging ports but I don't want to pay $10-$15 for a board that I 'might' fix.)

2. If dsi boards are in fact $20, I can get a used dsi or dsi-xl for $10-$15 more off ebay and not have to hassle with it. I'm leaning toward the dsi-xl. So a) is there anything special I need to do so as to NOT brick the R4i 3ds gold flashcart? and b) besides ebay and craigslist suggestions for used consoles?

Thanks

Last edited by evie04,

evie04

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah well I'm a lady and mother who happens to be an engineer and quite handy at fixing things and had a quick question.
Taking the time to load a 'descriptive' avatar is a waste of my time when I'm probably not going to post much after this since the first response I get is some jerk thinking they're all cute with sarcastic 12 yr old replys. But thanks for the oh so helpful non-information.

Last edited by evie04,

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSI XL's are not that expensive, I wouldn't go though all this trouble and would just buy another DSI.

1. If you can't dish out that much money, then just go look for a board that has been tested on Ebay.

2. Bricking a R4i 3ds gold flashcart is..I never even heard of a case like that. So you have nothing to worry about. Also, if you're worried, the cart is always super cheap to buy. Like, 8 bucks or something. That's how much I got mine for anyways years ago..

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah well I'm a lady and mother who happens to be an engineer and quite handy at fixing things and had a quick question.
Taking the time to load a 'descriptive' avatar is a waste of my time when I'm probably not going to post much after this since the first response I get is some jerk thinking they're all cute with sarcastic 12 yr old replys. But thanks for the of so helpful non-information.
I have to agree with DKB, just buy a new one. As for the r4i, the only way you can brick it that I'm aware of is to put broken, wrong, or malicious firmware files on its sd card, and run them. As long as you always get your firmware from the update feature on the flashcart, or the official website, that's almost impossible. Sorry if I'm wrong, though. I've never messed around with changing out DSi motherboards nor do I know exactly how R4i's work on a hardware level, but I'm almost positive you're safe.

Reactions: DKB

evie04

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DKB and Mad - Sweet thanks, the carts are a little more expensive now (~$15) but yeah the price is fine the wait on shipping from china, well patience is a virtue lol. The bricking I think is more with the 3ds rather than the dsi/dsi-xl but I wasn't 100%. And no $20-$40 isn't that much for a console, it was more the principle of the matter since I just replaced the top screen.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DKB and Mad - Sweet thanks, the carts are a little more expensive now (~$15) but yeah the price is fine the wait on shipping from china, well patience is a virtue lol. The bricking I think is more with the 3ds rather than the dsi/dsi-xl but I wasn't 100%. And no $20-$40 isn't that much for a console, it was more the principle of the matter since I just replaced the top screen.
I can understand what you mean. No one likes to see their hard work wasted. Just for the record though, I'm pretty sure it's equally as impossible to brick on a 3ds, also. I use one myself. The 'R4i Gold 3DS RTS,' specifically. Pretty sure that's the one you're using.

evie04

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"equally as impossible to brick on a 3ds"
Even better info - yeah that's the ones we use. Never really got into the carts but with the boys they are way to rough even when then don't mean to be. The carts are a lifesaver! No fighting over the one copy of pokemon we have, no meltdowns b/c we left digdug at grandma's, tetris isn't buried in the couch/sock drawer/washing machine lost to the gnomes; yes they are the best thing since sliced bread.

I had to take a 'personal moment' when that p6 flap snapped off. I'd already changed the charging port on that unit then the top screen when bonkers. Complete pain in the tush to change btw!

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And at $15 a cart, the price is right too! I know mine hasn't left the cart slot in my 3DS since I got it in the mail. Kudos for your effort though. Your kids are lucky to have a mother who puts in this much effort to give them video games.

evie04

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Matty - That is almost exactly what I did but sneaked in at less then $10 so I was thrilled and kiddos are happily Mario 64'n it up! Now if I can just find a copy of Pokemon heartgold or soulsilver reasonable to go with the pokewalker I pickup up in a box of "free to good home" stuff my life will be complete lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho